Technical Wheres my EGR?

Currently reading:
Technical Wheres my EGR?

Ducato Hell

Need help guys, just before Christmas, (Happy Christmas by the way), on the coldest day so far, the wife's 500L turned over, fired up then ran rough for a couple of seconds then cut out, and if I touched the accelerator while it was running rough it would cut out straight away. Being the time of year, I couldn't get a mechanic for love nor money. I replaced the fuel filter but the problem remained so I bought an OBD2 and plugged in, P0488 (EGR) and U3010 came up. The problem is I can't find the EGR and I've scoured the worldwide Web and there's no info at all, in fact as far as the Web goes it's like the 500L never existed, there's no Haynes manual, zip. Yesterday I removed the thing that's bolted to the right hand end of the inlet manifold as you look at it but it doesn't look like the egr's when you search for shopping, it had a butterfly valve and was very oily inside, its gleaming now but the problem remains.
Long story short, anyone know where the EGR is, I'm at my wits end. Cheers

Hi :)

All depends on: what year..and what engine?

Your U code is a communication error within the cars network

On the early 1248cc its EGR is at the rear of the engine
Later 1248's 90 bhp are a different design

No idea with bigger engines

But this is the EGR coolers pipework
20191204_184932.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply, yeah forgot to mention it's a 1.6 multijet but I did see something like that when I had my head under the bonnet, I'll get my overalls out again. Thanks

I'll do that and let you know. The cars done 65000 miles and the egr has never been cleaned, I want to try cleaning it before I start spending crazy money. The DPF did an auto purge about 1000 miles ago, if that has any bearing on the subject

Just a quick heads up, was reading obd manual about deleting codes and this warning came up;
'CAUTION: Erasing the DTC'S allows the scan tool to delete not only the codes from the vehicles on board computer, but also "Freeze Frame" data and manufacturer specific enhanced data. Further, the I/M Readiness Monitor Status for all vehicle Monitors is set to Not Ready or Not Complete status. Do not erase the codes before the system has been checked completely by a Technician.
Should I just disconnect the battery for an hour as that scared the bejayzus out of me?

Yes
Just do the battery :)

My suspicion is that those instructions are badly phrased :

Great advice if you are taking it to a mechanic.. as ALL the errors will give the broadest picture of what is going on

Yes it is probably capable of 'freeze frame' and can also read SOME manufacturer specific codes

Around 12 years ago I bought similar @ £30.. it gives meaning for the Codes.. based on a VW

The codes are accurate.. but I then SEARCH on here to see the Fiat -Alfa take on that code :)

I re-connected battery and tried to start it with no joy, noticed egr must be low down at the back, with just enough room to get a Rizla paper down there let alone my hand with a spanner in it. I'm gonna carry on again tomorrow as its ****..........istantly tossing down

I've decided to wait until the garages open again, even with fault codes I'm still flogging a dead hoss

OK, just a quick update. I managed to get a mobile mechanic to have a look at my car, after 90 minutes he shook his head and gave up. I've managed to talk to a few mechanics now and the general concensus is there are two options to get at the egr; A, remove the engine, B, remove the cylinder head.
Both of these options mean that in order to clean my egr I'm looking at a bill we'll over a grand! I'm seriously thinking of cutting my losses and offloading the sack of crap spares or repair. I can honestly say, hand on heart, that with the Ducato and now the 500L, out of the 70 odd vehicles I've owned over the years, the worst ones I've owned were Fiat, which is strange cos some of the best ones I've owned, and the ones that gave me most pleasure were Alfa Romeo.
Do yourself a favour, avoid Fiat 500L 1.6 multijet, you'll thank me later

Back