Technical EGR issues

Currently reading:
Technical EGR issues

Flisscity

HI guys, first time poster. :)

My 500L had the engine warning light come on yesterday and when taken to garage the code retrieved was the EGR. I have had my EGR Valve clog up once before and the whole valve had to be replaced as the car wouldn't even start. This time with the code cleared, the car is still running ok so I thought I would try and take some preventative action.

I have seen online you can get a spray to help reduce the particles that clog the valve. I have purchased this (Wynn's Diesel EGR cleaner) but I cannot see a helpful video anywhere that will point me in the correct direction of the Air Inlet pipe on a 500L to be able to spray this into.

Has anyone done this before and may have a video? or can anyone show me from an image the correct hose to disconnect and spray into. Would be ever so grateful. (y)

Also does putting an additive (such as Reddex) into the fuel also help with this problem?

Last edited:
HI guys, first time poster. :)

My 500L had the engine warning light come on yesterday and when taken to garage the code retrieved was the EGR. I have had my EGR Valve clog up once before and the whole valve had to be replaced as the car wouldn't even start. This time with the code cleared, the car is still running ok so I thought I would try and take some preventative action.

I have seen online you can get a spray to help reduce the particles that clog the valve. I have purchased this (Wynn's Diesel EGR cleaner) but I cannot see a helpful video anywhere that will point me in the correct direction of the Air Inlet pipe on a 500L to be able to spray this into.

Has anyone done this before and may have a video? or can anyone show me from an image the correct hose to disconnect and spray into. Would be ever so grateful. (y)

Also does putting an additive (such as Reddex) into the fuel also help with this problem?
I'm having egr problems as well, I watched a video on YouTube where the bloke removed his egr to show how badly clogged it was. He then replaced it and did the Wynnes egr cleaner thing, following the instructions to the letter which included driving the car hard for 20 minutes. He then removed the egr again and there wasn't any difference, still badly clogged. He then took it to the sink and scrubbed it with Fairy liquid and a toothbrush till it gleamed. I think the video was titled, 'don't use egr cleaner'

BE CAREFUL!!!

A tiny spray and wait for recovery of revs then another. etc
DO NOT GIVE SPRAY IN BIG BURSTS this causes massive predetoation and could wreck the engine. It scared me ****less and stopped the engine dead from 2000 revs!!!!

Use fuel additive / cleaner regularly.

Cheapest option to change was in my case the main dealer so dont rock off wasting money on substandard parts before asking. They were less than the cost of the part on ebay for my Bravo 1.6D!

Back