Technical Fiat 500L Dualogic 1.3 diesel 13 plate

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 500L Dualogic 1.3 diesel 13 plate

Markjh68

GUTTED ! Hi all and Merry Xmas this afternoon I was doing 74 ish on cruise control and noticed some blue smoke coming out of the exhaust it only lasted for a few seconds then it stopped no power loss no warning lights etc I drove on for another 35 ish miles and then one thud noise and the check engine sign came on the car went into limp then completely gave up on me I called the RAC he tried to turn the engine and it was completely siezed up it was serviced in October Injectors cleaned oil change etc and has driven fine until today it is now sitting in a garages car park until after Xmas it has only done 69k miles passed it’s MOT in November so I’m at a loss why this has happened it’s on finance as well so I’m absolutely gutted that this has happened and why !

Hi Mark, and sorry to hear this

What were the DPF Regens like?

One every 500 miles with little fuss.. Or attempting them pretty regularly?

The 1248cc motor is generally very good, used by Vauxhall and Suzuki extensively.. As well as "the Italians"

Commonest issue is the timing gear failing ( like a Cambelt snapping)

But that isn't a disaster either..

I would definitely get a 2nd opinion on what has gone wrong,

Where are you based?

I am near the M4

Hi I’m based in Lincolnshire the car is now parked up outside a garage waiting for them to re open after new year the RAC guy tried to turn the engine over manually and it wouldn’t budge I had no warning lights come up prior to the thud it had recently had an oil change injectors cleaned as they were leaking etc so I’m surprised I had a few seconds of blue ish smoke then nothing and then the catastrophic thud miles later no idea what DPF Regens are to be honest with you

The DPF is a Soot trap in the exhaust, periodically the car Should automatically feed it extra fuel so it gets massively HOT and burns off the Soot, that's it Regenerating

Time will tell what has happened,

after an oil change several things should have been reset, otherwise Regens will not happen effectively

Potentially leading to bigger issues

Hopefully this is a random issue, and cheap to fix

Make your xmas a little easier

Do let us know in the New Year

Quick update

it’s been to two garages so far and the jist of it is that it needs a new engine it is seized solid now I could get them to take the engine out strip it down at a cost of nearly £700 just to be told that i need a new engine the price of a recon engine I’ve been quoted is £5,100 something that I simply can’t afford it is on finance as well…..there was no oil leak,there is still oil in the car so without paying to have it stripped down its guess work

Back