General Where is the TJet-150

Currently reading:
General Where is the TJet-150

Matthen

Established member
Afternoon all,

I was just browsing the Fiat website, considering options for when I decide to upgrade my current Bravo.

The Tipo would naturally be the logical upgrade path, however it would mean taking a massive step down in performance - the quickest Tipo takes 9.6 secs to get to 60, a second and a half longer than my current Bravo, and over a second longer than the equivelent Ford.

What are fiat playing at? Surely they can bolt the same engine that is in the Bravo into the Tipo? The bravo as it is is perfect - enough horsepower that you can overtake when desired, but efficient enough not to break the bank. Seems like a silly decision by marketing.

How much benefit would you expect with re-mapping,(acceleration ?)

I wouldn't expect to remap a new car - gives fiat a way to get out of paying out for a warranty claim.

If the question is purely academic, I imagine you could map them up to 150hp without effort. But then the 150hp from the factory can be mapped up to 180+, so it's sort of irrelvant.

Not going to happen. Read Marchionne's interview pre-Geneva. He's given up on the Tipo in Europe.

Pretty sad really - can't say I'm all that surprised though.

Tipo is a "budget" car in the rest of the world, selling for £10-£12k mostly... so that's not really compatible with a higher performance version. Fiat UK is trying to price it on the coat-tails of the models from the mainstream manufacturers so it's a bit dearer here, in relation to other cars.

The upgrade path from a Bravo would probably be 500X.

Ralf S.

Tipo is a "budget" car in the rest of the world, selling for £10-£12k mostly... so that's not really compatible with a higher performance version. Fiat UK is trying to price it on the coat-tails of the models from the mainstream manufacturers so it's a bit dearer here, in relation to other cars.

The upgrade path from a Bravo would probably be 500X.

Ralf S.

I disagree - the 500x is a weird mini-suv type thing. The bravo is a regular hatchback, the same as the Tipo. I wonder what percentage of Bravo's sold in the UK were the sport model...

IMHO: they ditched 150hp version for sake of emissions. so it's euro 6 now...
easy remap will solve the issue but also will ditch warranty.
Also take into account that Tipo is 100kg heavier than Golf, Astra, Focus... for 120hp engine 100kgs is really a thing! I overlooked weight part when was looking for a car. probably 50+kg is added in rear suspension, it's dependable, not semi-dependable like rivals.
Try to look at Alfa Guilletta - really pretty one. their 1.4t engine makes a lot of power. or older versions of 2.0 diesel also 180hp... but new models only 120hp of diesel. also for sake of bloody emissions.

Back