Technical Mayo on the dipstick

Currently reading:
Technical Mayo on the dipstick

So, my 2023 Tipo Cross MHEV has covered a measley 5,000 miles. I checked the oil this afternoon to be greeted by the delightful sight of mayo on the dipstick. Now going back to my old car days, that is an impending sign of head gasket failure (or something else equally expensive!). A colleague of mine said it is probably just condensation due to the damp, humid few weeks we've had.

I'm leaning more on the side of something is about to go bad - let me know your thoughts or whether it is perfectly (ok)...

It is booked in to the local (not so at 25 miles away) Fiat Garage who I bought the car from

Attachments

• PXL_20231115_160415675.jpg
    PXL_20231115_160415675.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 80
  • PXL_20231115_160311886.jpg
    PXL_20231115_160311886.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 47
It could be moisture from the piston blow by gasses condensing in the cold engine.

You are sensible to get it checked.
Ask dealer to detail how they are going to check ?

Do keep eye on coolant level - if it drops there is a problem .

The plastic engine covers /parts do not warm as quickly as metal parts which could be why the emulsion is on the oil filler /in filler tube.

It could be moisture from the piston blow by gasses condensing in the cold engine.

You are sensible to get it checked.
Ask dealer to detail how they are going to check ?

Do keep eye on coolant level - if it drops there is a problem .

The plastic engine covers /parts do not warm as quickly as metal parts which could be why the emulsion is on the oil filler /in filler tube.

Hi,

My 500 1242 cc FIRE has a tendency to build "mayo" in the oil filler cap.

I was concerned at first, but in 18 months and 20,000 MES it hasn't caused further issues

It may just be a symptom of the motor running cooler than potentially it could

Dont panic! My Panda TA was the same. I traded it and bought another new one. Its exactly the same. Sealed crank cases these days lend themselves to this. I have fitted a catch can on the crankcase breather hose on two of out Pandas. THe water in the oil leaves via the breather and the catch can collects ot without updetting the crankcase pressure. Its amazing how much water it removes. The mayo problem has 100% gone. water level stays constant so its not the head gasket. If you undo the header cap when the engine is warm but not hot and there is no out rush of gas your are good. If I remove hte oil cap and run the Panda TA it throws blobs of mayo the size of tennis balls out of the top! I dont like it but accept its not to worry about if you do oil changes when required and on time. I cant fit a catch can to the Panda TA as there is literally no room under the bonnet for one to sit.

This sort of issue is why its important to use the exact oil recommended for your engine.

While it’s a 2023 car it’s only got 5000 miles on the clock and it may have sat a while between when they built it and when you took delivery, this allows quite a lot of condensation to build up, the car will have traveled by boat to the uk and spent an extended period in wet and damp conditions, a layer of condensation will sink below the oil as the oil is lighter than the water and when you start driving about you churn that condensation into the oil which creates mayo. If it were an older car I might have been more concerned but in such a new car I’d not be bothered. It’s still well within warranty so if you are concerned ask the dealer to take a look, they might at a push drain and refill the oil to clear it if any water

Many thanks for everyone's responses! It's off to the garage to have it checked out regardless - it's due a service in March so will probably just get that done early so it's fresh oil etc.

I'll be checking the area tomorrow as I'll have done 500 miles since posting the original message and run it out of eAuto mode so hopefully got everything nice and hot!

Back