General When you hit a deer....

Currently reading:
General When you hit a deer....

Sorry to hear about your crash - and the outcome of the garage report.

Things soon add up though - isn't it something like if the cost of the repairs exceed half the value of the car its classed as a write-off?

I know I had a bump in mine, and it needed: Bumper, bonnet, new wing, two new lights & two new lights and the cost was around £2500.

then factor in the cost of recovery and what it will cost them to issue beany with a Hire car et all

have the inner wings and chassis legs been compromised?

Well, you probably wont belive it. The garage have classed my car as total loss. i.e. A write off. Words fail me. Have a look at the picture. how is that a write off?!?!

I think if i was in your situation id tell the insurance company to forget & do ANYTHING to find the money to fix it without going through insurance.

You face having a car that's a CAT D (bad) and losing 5 years NCD (very bad), all for something that looks pretty minor as far as accidents go.

The list of things that needed replacing seemed a tad long too. Im no expert, but surely the wing & bonnet arn't bad enough to need replacing. Id be particularly wary of replacing things unless theyre really ruined, because of paint not matching & people spotting accident repair when you come to sell.

If the chassis has been damaged then fair enough, but if not, id seriously think about finding another way of getting the car repaired.

Last edited:
Well, you probably wont belive it. The garage have classed my car as total loss. i.e. A write off. Words fail me. Have a look at the picture. how is that a write off?!?!

It’s for the best – the repair input wouldn’t be worth the outcome. It’s a clean move-on against a repair job (however good) you’d never find peace-of-mind over. Let us know how you progress.

The list of things that needed replacing seemed a tad long too. Im no expert, but surely the wing & bonnet arn't bad enough to need replacing. Id be particularly wary of replacing things unless theyre really ruined, because of paint not matching & people spotting accident repair when you come to sell.

The trouble with skimping abit on the repairs and only fixing/replacing badly damaged parts is that eventually the 'not to badly' damaged parts will fail too, and could possibly lead to other faults.

I wouldn't want a bodge job done on accident repairs, especially when something could potentionally go wrong at 70mph if not repaired fully.

As for the body work, a buyer in the future will no doubt notice a bent wing/bonnet from the panel gaps and will walk away straight away. If a paint match isn't 100% then you would refuse to pay until it is spot on.

Glad you weren't hurt.

Make sure you don't accept your insurance company's first few prices. And make sure they know about anything that was on your car (as long as you declared it) as these things should be added to the cost of the settlement? And when confronting them on prices, make sure you have a list of similar cars and the prices they are advertised for.

MEP seems to be good on these things, so maybe he'll add to this :)

Beany mate, thats totally crap mate! I had a disagreement with a stone wall, did pretty much the same sort of damage and the company fixed it! did your airbags go off? thats the only reason I can think of that they would not repair it! was checking your list though and my light and radiator was spared!

I would fight it all the way mate, and if you dont have protected no-claims then its likely you will go down to 2 yrs no-claims at least! I can only speculate though mate!:eek:

Last edited:
i was in a mates hyundai pony a good few years ago n hit a deer at 60+ it was an explosion of red front end smashed windscreen gone and me n ma mate covered in the deer, parts of the windscreen were stuck in ma mates neck very close to the jugular!

i was in a mates hyundai pony a good few years ago n hit a deer at 60+ it was an explosion of red front end smashed windscreen gone and me n ma mate covered in the deer, parts of the windscreen were stuck in ma mates neck very close to the jugular!

Yup it certainly can be dangerous hitting wildlife...

My best mate's work colleague was killed in Saudi Arabia when his Toyota Landcruiser hit a camel. The animal was flung through the windscreen on impact and crushed him to death!

I'd go with the consensus and bank the money then buy the vehicle back and repair it yourself. Unless there's major structural damage underneath this should be pretty cheap.

As a guide heres mine

3667456927_fec41a7fcd.jpg

Cost £1300 to repair...and wasnt a write off. happened July lats year and its an 06 car

:eek: omg beany glad to hear you're ok, sorry to hear about your car mate, hope you manage to get it sorted one way or another (y)

I think if it was me, I would accept the decision and look for a replacement, but that's just what I would do mate. I'm sure you would be able to find a nice replacement.

Back