Technical When to change oil, Grande Punto

Currently reading:
Technical When to change oil, Grande Punto

JMaia

Hello

I have a Fiat Grande Punto, Petrol 1.2 from 2009. Last time I changed the oil and filter was on 26/8/2022. It made around 4000 km in this time interval. It has 5W30 oil.

Should I change my oil motor now, since it has been almost a year, or wait for the oil life monitoring system warning to appear?

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
I am not familiar with the oil monitoring system you have, but generally if only doing low mileage, oil is more likely to be contaminated due to short stop start journeys with the oil not getting to correct running temperature rather than if you did the same mileage but in long journeys.
Also as engines get older they get more carbon blowing past the pistons so oil gets dirty quicker.
I used to dip the oil, look at the colour, smell it to see if smells strong and finally feel the oil to see if it is thin due to fuel diluting it, then wash your hands.;)

I'm not sure a 2009 grande would have any oil monitoring system if the oil light come on, its probably because you've run out of oil.

Realistically they say you should change the oil every year unless you're not planning to use the car, as after a year the oil can start to break down and contaminants such as bugs and bacteria can start to contaminate the oil.

yeah i'll just change oil once a year from now on, thanks for the help

Back