General Punto Grande odometer - can you buy the display as a new spare part.

Currently reading:
General Punto Grande odometer - can you buy the display as a new spare part.

yespsb

My daughters 2006 Punto Grande was given to my niece to learn to drive and become her first car. Unfortunately that did not work out and the car that is in very good condition had been idle for about 8 months before I retrieved it with a view to selling it on my daughter's behalf.
Having been idle for so long the battery was dead so I replaced the battery and it started first time but the mileage display was not working. I took the whole display unit out, cleaned all the circuit board and the actual odometer display wiring loom/connector block.

When I refitted the unit the square odometer display had power to it and the odometer display had a yellow illuminated glow to it but alas it had zero info. The cars biggest selling point would be its mileage which is circa 55,000 and without that being displayed the car will lose a lot of its value. Is it possible to buy just the odometer display as a new spare part (it has a unique part number on it) and by fitting a new one would that fix the problem ?

For reference its the square part below the pliers in the photo.

Thanks in advance Paul B

sals fiat 3 PXL_20230807_120132852.jpg

yes, you can buy just the LCD - i did the same repair last year. The best price I found was through this ebay seller (no affiliation)
there's a few different models so may be worth contacting them with your part number first to confirm.

cleaning the connections of the existing LCD is also worth a try, although yours might be too far gone if it's completely blank -

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Thank you very much for your reply, I have messaged the ebay chap with a couple of photos, one of which shows the part number, fingers crossed he has something.
ps how much did your replacement cost ?

Thank you very much for your reply, I have messaged the ebay chap with a couple of photos, one of which shows the part number, fingers crossed he has something.
ps how much did your replacement cost ?
i bought this one and it was 63 Euros at the time, so has gone up a bit. I did consider salvaging one from a used instrument cluster but that wasn't much cheaper in the end, so went down the brand new lcd route

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
The ebay guys in Poland have not responded to either of my messages so I am going to try another supplier in Italy. Do you know where the display is fed its info from. I have seen other posters mention the ECU but I am not sure if my daughters 2006/7 Punto Grande has an ECU ?

The ebay guys in Poland have not responded to either of my messages so I am going to try another supplier in Italy. Do you know where the display is fed its info from. I have seen other posters mention the ECU but I am not sure if my daughters 2006/7 Punto Grande has an ECU ?
the instrument cluster gets its info from the Body Computer (BCU) via the CAN bus. The consensus seems to be that the ECU is involved in tracking/storing the mileage figure but there is not a direction connection to the IC from the ECU - it goes via the BCU. Your GP most definitely has a ECU :)

some recent threads on the same topic

Once again big thanks for helping me out, I am going to see this through and get the Punto back on the road. The Italians want 75 euros plus vat which I guess is the going rate and to be honest there's not a lot of choice so its a sellers market.

Well its taken a while as other things got my attention but I paid the money to Minitools and the new LCD unit arrived next day all the way from Italy.

Doing the job the second time was much faster, this time I got the gauge needles to line up properly and fitting the new LCD screen was straight forward.

Having fitted it, I turned the ignition on with some trepidation but I need not have worried as it worked perfectly and its now booked in for its MOT next week. I really do appreciate your help, all the very best PB

Back