Technical What's this?

Currently reading:
Technical What's this?

Panda 2012
Changed the oil this morning.
When I took off the old filter, this bit plopped into the oil catcher pan.
I thought it might have dropped off the old filter but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere.
It's a tad rusty so I'm guessing it was sat on the filter body between it and the engine block.
I know it's a huge ask but do any of you guys recognise it?

Thanks for any help

Attachments

• IMG_3074.JPG
    IMG_3074.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3075.JPG
    IMG_3075.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3076.JPG
    IMG_3076.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 55
Panda 2012
Changed the oil this morning.
When I took off the old filter, this bit plopped into the oil catcher pan.
I thought it might have dropped off the old filter but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere.
It's a tad rusty so I'm guessing it was sat on the filter body between it and the engine block.
I know it's a huge ask but do any of you guys recognise it?

Thanks for any help
Does it look like it came out of the centre of the old oil filter, is there a spring that it sits against to locate the filter element and is the new element sitting correctly with a plate at both ends so oil path is directed through the filter?
Maybe another Forum Member has a diagram of the lay out.

Does it look like it came out of the centre of the old oil filter, is there a spring that it sits against to locate the filter element and is the new element sitting correctly with a plate at both ends so oil path is directed through the filter?
Maybe another Forum Member has a diagram of the lay out.
Thanks for the response(y)
Don't think it was part of the filter....it would cover the internal threads if it was put in the filter hole....also, the rust on it seems to suggest it was outside somewhere.
Tell you what the shape reminds me of, those inserts that plumbers put in plastic pipe to stop the joints crushing the pipe...

Attachments

• IMG_3078.JPG
    IMG_3078.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 24
Thanks for the response(y)
Don't think it was part of the filter....it would cover the internal threads if it was put in the filter hole....also, the rust on it seems to suggest it was outside somewhere.
Tell you what the shape reminds me of, those inserts that plumbers put in plastic pipe to stop the joints crushing the pipe...
Sorry I see now, metal canister type, I was thinking of a paper element like my Doblo and Scudo.
The piece does look like it has been rattling around somewhere.Were the inserts you are thinking of shiny plated metal?

Sorry I see now, metal canister type, I was thinking of a paper element like my Doblo and Scudo.
The piece does look like it has been rattling around somewhere.Were the inserts you are thinking of shiny plated metal?
The plumbing inserts are plastic but it was the similar shape that caught my eye...
Last time it went into a garage was to have a broken front spring replaced....maybe something dropped during that repair...
Niggles you doesn't it as to where it might have come from

Looks like a metal ‘grommet’ to stop you over tightening something that goes through a softer material, like plastic or rubber…can’t say I recognise it specifically though

Looks like a metal ‘grommet’ to stop you over tightening something that goes through a softer material, like plastic or rubber…can’t say I recognise it specifically though
Good point! Looking at it carefully, the wider cap bit is slightly bent down on one half so it could have been tightened down on (y)

Yes…wracking my brain trying to think of what they were called
And now I remember where I saw them as was, just today, looking at air-filter housing and there were two on the mountings!
YEY! spot on clever lad, that's where it's come from...👏👏
The left side of the air filter housing has a different bolt and some washers where this ferrule should be.
More to the point, that's straight over where the oil filter sits.

Begs the question as to why the box was taken off? The garage guy did say he had trouble getting the Panda's emmissions to pass
on it's last MOT. Maybe they fiddled with the air flow to get a pass...

Anyhoo, many thanks guys, it's put my mind at rest..... will fit it back on tomorrow

Back