Tuning what is this?

Currently reading:
Tuning what is this?

bia

Hi,

Could you identify these grills? I intend to affix a Xiaomi thermometer onto them to enclose it. Is this advisable? Do you think these grills serve a speaker-like function? Would this modification have any adverse effects? Your assistance is greatly valued.

1708607381426.png

Solution
Pretty sure that's where the sensor for the climate control is situated.

There's another one (in my car) higher up which is the microphone for the car play thing.
Pretty sure that's where the sensor for the climate control is situated.

There's another one (in my car) higher up which is the microphone for the car play thing.
Yep I'd agree with that - with the switch gear in your photo you don't have climate control so you can probably block this off. Do you have the owners manual, I think that will tell you?

Reactions: bia
There’s an old post somewhere about this. Yes, on cars with auto climate, there’s actually a small fan behind there that draws ‘cabin air’ over a temperature sensor and acts as the thermostat. If, as here, the car has manual air con, or no air con, there’s nothing behind that grille at all :)

(By the way, if anyone reading this does have auto climate, it’s worth sucking the dust out of there with the hoover nozzle, as the sensor slowly gets covered in fluff and becomes much less accurate)

I see the fan switch is set to ‘off’. As with all modern cars, set like that, practically no air comes into the car at all… the fan needs to be on, even if just the lowest setting, to keep fresh air coming in when driving - the ‘ram effect’ that used to force air into cars when moving was bad for aerodynamics, so most now need that fan on to draw air through.

There’s an old post somewhere about this. Yes, on cars with auto climate, there’s actually a small fan behind there that draws ‘cabin air’ over a temperature sensor and acts as the thermostat. If, as here, the car has manual air con, or no air con, there’s nothing behind that grille at all :)

(By the way, if anyone reading this does have auto climate, it’s worth sucking the dust out of there with the hoover nozzle, as the sensor slowly gets covered in fluff and becomes much less accurate)

I see the fan switch is set to ‘off’. As with all modern cars, set like that, practically no air comes into the car at all… the fan needs to be on, even if just the lowest setting, to keep fresh air coming in when driving - the ‘ram effect’ that used to force air into cars when moving was bad for aerodynamics, so most now need that fan on to draw air through.
Thanks for the info. I also like to keep the fan on while driving to ensure fresh air circulates inside, but I'm curious about its impact on the battery load.

Thanks for the info. I also like to keep the fan on while driving to ensure fresh air circulates inside, but I'm curious about its impact on the battery load.
Unmeasurablely* small :)
So long as the engines running the alternator will always provide more than enough power.

* to be accurate, on its fastest speed the fan uses a fair bit, but the alternator is sized to allow for the fan, the wipers, the heated screen(s), headlights and more to all be used at the same time.

Oh really? May ne need this power since it js at the back? 🤔
It's the rear window de-mister that uses quite a lot of power. The voltmeter I have fitted drops quite a bit at tick-over speed when I switch it on.
Based on the fuse ratings, the blower fan, heated seats and heated front screen (when fitted) use rather more than the rear window. But either way, with the battery in good health and the alternator working correctly, the car should be able to cope.

Back