Panda 2012+ What's needed to run MultiECUScan?

Currently reading:
Panda 2012+ What's needed to run MultiECUScan?

If I stop just before the front wheels are at the top of the ramp the car is dead level and I do that to check gearbox oil level. On the Ibiza the level plug is half way up the diff casing so you've got to get under to check it. The Panda is oh so much easier. Glad you liked my literary efforts, thank you kind sir.
While I'm here. If anyone has been looking at my guide did you notice the multitude of little black plastic plugs along the bottom of the sills on the Panda? Is this normal? or could it be that our panda has had a rust proofing treatment at some time?

While I'm here. If anyone has been looking at my guide did you notice the multitude of little black plastic plugs along the bottom of the sills on the Panda? Is this normal? or could it be that our panda has had a rust proofing treatment at some time?
Normal. Put in at the factory and probably as part of the factory rust proofing :)

Just a thought. simple ramps like these aren't something that wears out - like say a hydraulic jack. If damaged it's pretty easy to see visually. Therefore I bet there will be used bargains to be had on the likes of eBay/Gumtree etc?

If you're looking at tools in Halfords then their Advance/Professional range is pretty good and, I think, guaranteed for life. I've got a number of their offerings and find them very satisfactory. I'd steer clear of their more DIY offerings if you are going to be putting them to any serious work though.

Another good value and quality outlet is Machine Mart - same caveat applies, don't just go for the cheapest option. Always worth giving them your email address as they do VAT free days from time to time and they'll notify you by email before the event. Have to say they've been doing less of this since the covid pandemic though. I've had some real bargains like this: https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-ctj2qlp-2-tonne-quick-lift-low-profile/ which, vat free, is a reasonable saving. Most of all I like buying this sort of thing from them because their spares backup is very good.

Hi @Pugglt Auld Jock, I finally got round to buying a trolley jack, axel stands and a socket set:cool:

The trolley jack is a seconds ie it has cosmetic damage but it was only £70 delivered most other places it’s about £100 plus delivery or buy direct from Sealey and it’s nearer £150, it should be perfect for the panda and my van, not that I ever do anything to the van but still, it’s high lift at 585mm but not low profile the saddle minimum height is 150mm and it weighs about 20kg.

I bought a pair of Sealy axel stands again at a very good price free delivery if you spend £50 so I bought the socket set for the oil filter and the sump plug plus I’ll use it for my own work too.

Thanks again for all of the advice no doubt I’ll be back at you again soon:D

And, just to stay on topic I’ll be buying the gendam bundle shortly.

Tony

IMG_0061.pngIMG_0062.png

Hi @Pugglt Auld Jock, I finally got round to buying a trolley jack, axel stands and a socket set:cool:

The trolley jack is a seconds ie it has cosmetic damage but it was only £70 delivered most other places it’s about £100 plus delivery or buy direct from Sealey and it’s nearer £150, it should be perfect for the panda and my van, not that I ever do anything to the van but still, it’s high lift at 585mm but not low profile the saddle minimum height is 150mm and it weighs about 20kg.

I bought a pair of Sealy axel stands again at a very good price free delivery if you spend £50 so I bought the socket set for the oil filter and the sump plug plus I’ll use it for my own work too.

Thanks again for all of the advice no doubt I’ll be back at you again soon:D

And, just to stay on topic I’ll be buying the gendam bundle shortly.

Tony

View attachment 431380View attachment 431382
Sealey stuff's pretty rugged and quite good enough for serious hobby use - The factors around here often have their items on display. Not bad for spares too, so if you need a hydraulic seal etc at some time there's a good chance of getting it.

Good luck with it and your ongoing projects.

Hi I’ve just bit the bullet and bought the multiecuscan download to and old laptop very easy done just waiting for the cables of eBay I purchased it mainly for proxy alignment Iam looking forward to have a play with it
Congratulations! You may find that downloading the software to your computer is the easy bit though. Getting the computer and interfaces to communicate can be a little bit of a challenge, especially if you're a computer ignoramus - like me. Plenty of folk on here who can help with that if needed. Once you've got it set up though it's simply plug it in and use when you need it. I always start the likes of, say, a big service, by doing a whole vehicle scan
I absolutely love my MES. I've had a fully licenced VAG-COM (now VCDS) for about twice as long as I've owned my MES but using MES has taught me much more than the VCDS has. I think because the MES is much easier to understand with all it's prompts and info on the right of the screen when in Parameters, Adjustments or Actuators. If you're not all that experienced just plug it in and start looking at what you can. The more you use it the more you'll understand. Enjoy!

I purchased it mainly for proxy alignment Iam looking forward to have a play with it
Proxi Alignment is about the only procedure I've not experimented with yet. I'm "frightened" by tales of dire consequences if it all goes wrong. I recently came across these two posts by "the one and only" https://www.fiatforum.com/guides/new-proxi-alignment-with-multiecuscan.890/ and https://www.fiatforum.com/guides/backup-proxi-file-on-mes.875/ which I'm reading and trying to understand. If we ever send my boy's B&M module away for repair I believe a proxi alignment is sometimes needed when reinstalling it to the vehicle so I want to get on top of this. Being very much a "hammer and big screwdriver" man I'm toiling to understand it all.

Proxi Alignment is about the only procedure I've not experimented with yet. I'm "frightened" by tales of dire consequences if it all goes wrong. I recently came across these two posts by "the one and only" https://www.fiatforum.com/guides/new-proxi-alignment-with-multiecuscan.890/ and https://www.fiatforum.com/guides/backup-proxi-file-on-mes.875/ which I'm reading and trying to understand. If we ever send my boy's B&M module away for repair I believe a proxi alignment is sometimes needed when reinstalling it to the vehicle so I want to get on top of this. Being very much a "hammer and big screwdriver" man I'm toiling to understand it all.

I used Revtronics to repair my B&M module, cost £95 including postage back and forth (one day serivice) I plugged it back into the vehicle and just worked first time, think if you get a repair done to the existing module then you don't need to do the proxy alignment I certainly didn't have to.

Sealey stuff's pretty rugged and quite good enough for serious hobby use - The factors around here often have their items on display. Not bad for spares too, so if you need a hydraulic seal etc at some time there's a good chance of getting it.

Good luck with it and your ongoing projects.

My local motor factor, Watt Brothers, had low profile Sealey trolly jacks in stock but they were over £200 and for garages the guy said.

They don't really carry a lot of stuff to buy off the shelf, a lot of different grades of oil funnily enough, also they've loads of parts in stock but they can order in whatever you need, personally, I find it a wee bit intimidating not being in the garage/mechanic game but the counter staff are nice enough and helpful. The replaced my battery FOC when my own B&M module ruined it.

I used Revtronics to repair my B&M module, cost £95 including postage back and forth (one day serivice) I plugged it back into the vehicle and just worked first time, think if you get a repair done to the existing module then you don't need to do the proxy alignment I certainly didn't have to.

Thanks Twotone. I'd wondered if that might be the case because I know if you get Western Power steering to repair your existing steering then it's plug and play when you get it back.

My local motor factor, Watt Brothers, had low profile Sealey trolly jacks in stock but they were over £200 and for garages the guy said.

They don't really carry a lot of stuff to buy off the shelf, a lot of different grades of oil funnily enough, also they've loads of parts in stock but they can order in whatever you need, personally, I find it a wee bit intimidating not being in the garage/mechanic game but the counter staff are nice enough and helpful. The replaced my battery FOC when my own B&M module ruined it.
That sounds about the going rate for a proper professional piece of kit. A bit of overkill for the average driveway grease monkey though, although it's always nice to work with a quality tool. If you're going to be buying more tools then a walk round a branch of Machine Mart might be a good idea. Some branches of Halfords have bigger tool stock than others so it just depends on whether you land in one with a lot on show. Don't buy anything, just take your time and see what's available. Resist the cheaper options though as, in my experience, with tools you always get what you pay for - the good quality stuff always costs more. There are a number of online tool stores too which have some really good prices but you need to be a bit more knowledgeable if you're not to buy something of poor quality. Don't fall into the trap of thinking "nice and shiny" will automatically mean it's good!

Not surprised to hear you found a display of multiple choices for oils. Engine and transmission oils are almost model specific these days - long gone are the days when you (as a small garage owner) could buy maybe two or three 50 gallon drums of engine oil and a couple of grades of "tranny" oil and be sure they would cover 95% (or more) of all the cars which rolled through your workshop doors. - I remember at one time nearly everything ran on 20W-50 except for stuff like air cooled VWs which took straight SAE 30 - Smaller garages these days buy much of their oil in 4 or 5 litre containers at the same time as they're ordering the parts needed for a car's service (air, oil, maybe pollen filters. spark plugs etc, etc.) All the local factors around here run a fleet of vans and deliver on receipt of order. So the customer drops the car off and you get on the phone to the factor who takes the Reg No and your list of what you need. Within a few minutes it's being loaded into their van and, almost before you've got it up on the ramp and taken the wheels off, the van's at your door with your order.

Although there are exceptions most "trade" factors are happy enough to sell to the public - although, understandably, you probably won't be paying what the local garage is paying but he'll be buying thousands of pounds worth of stuff compared to your piddly order - What reception you get depends, as with other things in life, on the person behind the counter and what sort of day they're having.

I thought that to I sent my b&m away and it came back I had to get my car proxy aligned it was £40

Petrol.. Or Turbo..?

Basically I've not got round to "Resetting the parameters".
On mine I've had to compromise on oil used.. So wanted to see how JUST AN OIL Change. made the tiny motor run 🤔

Punto noisier.. But running well (castrol)

Panda.. Sounded unchanged.. Seemed 'flat'. For @100 miles.. Then performance ok (miller's)

Yes.. I would Love to do the resets and get it 'optimised' 😊

(but a regular on here had a major issue doing the reset and wondered if it had killed the Uniair on an elderly TA)

So I am Confident in saying it's NOT crucial.. Even the service message times out..
You are bang on Iam after doing it on my TA optimised my uniair what a handlin you have to get the engine warm rev the nuts off it 6000 revs maybe 10 times not worth it

Back