What's made you smile today?

Currently reading:
What's made you smile today?

Farted around in the garage this morning because I needed out of the house. Couldn't do anything on the two wheeled stinker because the tube notcher that I bought to work on the frame is an absolute POS and is being re worked. So, what to do? What to do?

I bought a used combination belt/disk sander at a motorcycle swap meet last year. I hardly ever find motorcycle parts at these things because I have a Ural, Solexes, and a weird Honda, but I get some usable tools for cheap.👍 Anywho, the sander was missing the miter guide. I'd been pricing replacements and they were either too big, too small, or cost more than I paid for the sander. Said the heck with it and made my own with what I had on hand in the garage.

Simple and it worked.
51835345982_b048fa77bf_z.jpg

I can't cut a straight line with a saw guide. :rolleyes: Just something I never could master, so I need a way to square up ends.

Not so much smile but wry giggle to myself.

Clearing crap out of my phone and came across this.

Now the initial thought would be "and?" that is your car

First the reg plate...it's Spanish..second we got our car October 2017.

This is "The" photo my wife saw from the press launch and went "I want that" it's the exact spec of our current car.
Screenshot_20220123-193441_Photos.jpg

A month later the puncture saga is hopefully over...with a new tyre. So it ended up being a 100 quid trip to tesco with the original repair factored in.

Unfortunately the "Diamond cut" wheel has not escaped unscathed. Not entirely unsurprising given I've put lines on them a few times just cleaning them with a wash mitt. Both rears had a single bubble of corrosion anyway so not entirely bothered as a refurb was on my to do list. No idea who did it might have been me sticking a dirty wheel under the floor..might have been the garage that did the repair.

One day they will be redone...possibly body colour rather than cut on the spokes though as ain't nobody got time for wheels you can damage with a gentle rub from a cloth. But I've seen them refurbished all black and all silver and they look odd.

Measured the tyres up to check it wasn't massively lopsided, new one 8mm, older rear 7.5mm, fronts 6mm+ after 6k miles. Shall rotate them at service/mot end of September for winter.

Hopefully that is the end of fannying on with it for a while.

Over the last couple of years or so we've been gradually working away at improving our house's heat retention and cutting down on fuel consumed (gas). I've more than doubled the thickness of insulation in the roofspace. Our old wood framed double glazed windows were rotting and no longer sealed properly so we've had new windows, with much better glazing, fitted. We retained the existing, very solid, wooden front and back doors. The front door also has an inner (vestibule) door and by installing draught proofing on both I've effectively created an airlock which is making the hall much warmer. Back door has been draught proofed but I'm looking at further measures with it.

One of the biggest changes has been how we run the central heating. We have a very modern and efficient Gazco gas fire in the living room and we could live with this alone, but it's nice to have the rest of the house warm when getting up and/or going to bed, for which the central heating is needed. A number of years ago Mrs J decided we needed a new kitchen so, of course, a new kitchen was fitted! Part of that was to get rid of our very old, monolithic - took 3 men to carry it out into the back garden! - wall mounted Potterton boiler which, it has to be admitted, was becoming a bit prone to breaking down and spares also were becoming difficult. Our friend - who was doing the kitchen for us - fitted a Worcester Bosch condensing boiler and suggested a "new" way of running the heating. Disregard the wall thermostat (disconnect, as he did with ours, or turn to max) install thermostatic valves on all the radiators - which we didn't have - and control room temperatures with the thermostatic valves. I've adjusted ours so that the spare bedrooms are on frostguard (don't turn off to the "off" stop because after a period of time the valve rubbers inside can seize up) which means they are effectively "off". The hall radiator I keep on number 4 (of a total scale of 5) which ensures the core of the house stays nice and warm. The others are around the 3 mark which means they maintain a pleasant temperature but you notice that the radiators themselves are only "warm" to the touch, compared to the hall which is often "hot" to the touch which indicates to me that the thermostatic valves are doing their job. He also fitted a 2nd zone valve so that the hot water cylinder is only being boosted when it falls below it's thermostat's set temperature (which I keep at around 65c). previously hot boiler water circulated through the cylinder all the time the boiler was running. The boiler itself also seems to regulate it's heat output. the old boiler was either off or on and when on it was going full chat. The new boiler seems to moderate it's "ferocity", going full out when starting up but just ticking over or shutting down when at operating temperature.

The savings in our gas bills are substantial. The condensing boiler must be a major factor in this but I'm convinced the thermostatic controls couple to this "new" way of running the system is substantially contributory.

I do notice though that the hall radiator only feels truly "hot" when the whole system is fully up to temperature and I've convinced myself that this is due to radiator balance. There's a lot on you tube about how to do this, so this morning I decide to have a go at doing it. The first problem I ran into though is that the new valves on the "dumb" end of the radiators - ie the end which does not have the thermostatic valve - seems to have no way of adjusting them.

P1100193.JPG

With some trepidation I removed the capping nut and found an Allen headed screw inside, which I found takes a 6mm Allen key.

P1100194.JPG

Those pics are of the rad in the loo but the hall proved just a little more difficult due to it's situation.

P1100195.JPG

Got it with a 3/8 drive ratchet and 6mm bit though. So screwing it in, clockwise, restricts the flow, just like the old "taps" on my old fittings. and out, anticlockwise, opens it up. I'm still "fiddling" with them to achieve an equal heat at all radiators when all valves are fully open. Feeling very pleased now that, should I have a leak on a radiator for any reason I can go in the garage, grab my 6mm bit and 3/8 ratchet and have that radiator isolated within just a few minutes of noticing the leak. Sitting back with a wee Lidl Cappuccino just now, feeling very pleased with myself!

Many thanks to ben. I've got the hang of inserting images into the text now - as you can see!

with them to achieve an equal heat at all radiators when all valves are fully open.
As you talk about having a new boiler, be careful with fully opening the radiators. When we moved into this house we had a lot of problems with the heating not getting the house up to temperature.

The boiler was working the radiators where heating up but the house wouldn't warm up.

Turned out the radiators were fully open on what you call the "dumb" end, allowing the hot water in the heating circuit to very quickly run around the system and back to the boiler. The boiler seeing the incoming water was just as hot as it was pumping out, would switch off as it decided heating the water any further wasn't needed, and thus while the radiators felt hot, the boiler was spending much of its time powered off and not heating the house properly.

Ideally you need to slow the water down in the radiators so the heat from the water can disperse into the room the feeling of the radiators is largely irrelevant.

Slow the flow of the water out of the radiator means more of that heat will get into the room.

In the last year I started fitting the Hive Thermostatic radiators, these literally measure the temperature of the room and shut the valve off once its reached which can be set to 0.1 of a degree. its a bit of a problem in our house getting the flow of the heat balanced between rooms so once one room reaches temperature it shuts off the valve pushing the heat to other colder rooms, has saved us a lot on our heating bills and the digital valves will stop the heating coming on if the heating isn't needed, its like having a proper thermostat in every room.

If a room feels cold for any reason, open the app on your phone and boost the heating in that room for an hour to up the temp. All very good but these radiator valves are £50 a time so I've just added one every now and again when budget allows

As you talk about having a new boiler, be careful with fully opening the radiators. When we moved into this house we had a lot of problems with the heating not getting the house up to temperature.

The boiler was working the radiators where heating up but the house wouldn't warm up.

Turned out the radiators were fully open on what you call the "dumb" end, allowing the hot water in the heating circuit to very quickly run around the system and back to the boiler. The boiler seeing the incoming water was just as hot as it was pumping out, would switch off as it decided heating the water any further wasn't needed, and thus while the radiators felt hot, the boiler was spending much of its time powered off and not heating the house properly.

Ideally you need to slow the water down in the radiators so the heat from the water can disperse into the room the feeling of the radiators is largely irrelevant.

Slow the flow of the water out of the radiator means more of that heat will get into the room.

In the last year I started fitting the Hive Thermostatic radiators, these literally measure the temperature of the room and shut the valve off once its reached which can be set to 0.1 of a degree. its a bit of a problem in our house getting the flow of the heat balanced between rooms so once one room reaches temperature it shuts off the valve pushing the heat to other colder rooms, has saved us a lot on our heating bills and the digital valves will stop the heating coming on if the heating isn't needed, its like having a proper thermostat in every room.

If a room feels cold for any reason, open the app on your phone and boost the heating in that room for an hour to up the temp. All very good but these radiator valves are £50 a time so I've just added one every now and again when budget allows
I'm not quite sure if I understand the thinking behind what you are saying here. Did you previously have thermostatic radiator valves? If you were on old type manual valves then what you are saying about the wide open valves starts to make a bit of sense to me.

After a day of fiddling with them I feel I have now achieved quite a good outcome. It's proved to be a case of opening the return on the hall radiator fully so it's "unthrottled" - remember it was the one which tended not to get quite as hot as it might if all the other rads were operating on full bore. Then it's a matter of progressively throttling down the other rads return sides until they are all equally toasty hot. All this with the thermostats fully open on all radiators. The result is that because the smaller radiators are now taking less flow, the hall radiator, which is the biggest in the system, is getting enough flow to get properly hot. Finally I went round and set all the thermostats back to where they were before so that the required temperature is being maintained in each area/room. Seems to be working well. Probably could now run with the hall radiator at 3.5? due to the fact it's running hotter with it's increased flow.

Now I'm thinking about this, in a way what I've done inadvertently is pretty much what you were saying because although the hall rad is now running at max flow all the others are "throttled back" so flow is reduced even when the thermostats are wide open when cold - at start up for instance.

By the way, I forgot to mention in the initial post I made about this that the walls, which are cavity type, also have a silver foil/polystyrene sheet insulation installed at build in the cavity which must also considerably contribute to heat retention. For the last month or so, as I've been conducting normal "living" activities, I've been looking for draughts. Now, after my latest efforts, I'm aware of some small air movements around skirtings in the rooms with hard flooring and the "big one" which is draught coming in around where the main waste pipe stack is - where the toilet and wash hand basin pipes transit from the room through the trunking to the downpipe. The house has suspended floors at all levels including the ground floor so this air must be coming from the bottom of the house up the waste pipe trunking. Once I get these sources sealed the house should be draught free. Then I'll have to start worrying about it being too well sealed - stuff like carbon dioxide and water vapour build up? At this time I'm starting to look at heat recovery ventilation systems but I won't be installing one of those tomorrow - well it's something to keep me occupied isn't it!

I'm not quite sure if I understand the thinking behind what you are saying here. Did you previously have thermostatic radiator valves? If you were on old type manual valves then what you are saying about the wide open valves starts to make a bit of sense to me.
Yes I previously had the old style thermostatic valves which you set the temp in terms of a scale from "off" then 1 - 5 so you could shut them right down, or you can set the temp so some completely unrelated scale of 1 being a bit cold and 5 being a bit hot. I found these valves so hit and miss that at times they wouldn't even open if set to 1 or 2 on the scale.

the new radiator valves go on the side of the radiator where the hot water flows in, but you need to limit the flow of the water out of the other end.

basically you want the hot water to stay in the radiator for longer, so that the heat from the water is getting radiated off into the air. If the water flows too quickly through the system, the radiators will feel hot, but barely any heat gets into the room. so by slowing the hot water out of the radiator you keep exchange the heat in the water with some of the heat(cold) from the room.

in the hall where the main thermostat is located you should always have the input to the radiator open fully, but you still need to balance the flow of water out of the radiator so that it pushes the heat out into the room.

If the flow through the radiators is too quick the temperature of the water in the system will not drop and the boiler will see the hot water coming back to the boiler as either there is a problem or the temperature of the rooms is such they don't need any more heat and the boiler shuts off.

some systems work the other way with the thermostatic valves on the output of the radiator and the locked valve on the input, mine just happens to be with the thermostatic valves on the input. Either way the goal is to use the valves to keep the water in the radiators for a bit longer to get more of that heat into the room.

Hmmm. Putting thinking cap on and considering all that. I've found the Hive site and had a very quick read of the "bumph" thereon. I don't have a smart phone, mine is definitively "dumb", and see no need to have one at this time. Would there be much advantage to your system as a stand alone?
You could get it set up and running without any ongoing need to adjust with a smart phone, the hive thermostat has controls to boost the heating or the hot water if needed. Radiator thermostats can be turned to adjust the temp so you don’t have to have the app or a smart phone, but you’d need one to get everything set up to begin with.

Friday, Payday, forecast to be windy tomorrow, got a kite on the way. Son is currently obsessed with kites currently so think the plot for tomorrow may be put some petrol in the car and go down the coast.

Been a long week/month so glad it is coming to an end, my to do list for today is mercifully a lot shorter than it was Monday. Also all the bills I've covered this month are not generally recurring expenses and next month is short.

Some time ago I did a post about an "experiment" my neighbour and I did regarding some snapped off fence posts we had. Over the years I've replaced more than a few fence posts, especially when I had the gardening squad, and I'm finding the labour involved much harder now than it was when I was younger and fitter. My neighbour isn't exactly in the first flush of youth either so we decided to investigate repair methods retaining the original post. There are a number of systems, all of which employ some sort of staking driven into the ground beside the rotted post to which it is secured. Frankly I was not particularly impressed by any of them but one did look as though it might work so I tried to buy it only to find it's an American product which is quite expensive over here - So we plumped for another make which is easily available. The stakes required considerable force applied via a club hammer to drive into the ground, maybe 10 minutes or so of hammering per stake. then it's secured with a number of wood screws. The posts seemed to be quite secure when finished but I still felt quite doubtful as to whether they would survive a strong/gale force wind.

Well, I have to say I'm rather surprised, but the gales over last weekend haven't touched them at all! all still standing proudly!

However, unfortunately, one of the other old posts has succumbed and is now lying at an angle, snapped off at the base - this happened Saturday. The original staking system we bought is affordable but not particularly cheap for what it is so I looked for a more budget solution but using the concept of the original system. I found some builder's Heavy duty strapping, and it's galvanized. Also it's a meter long whereas the originals were about 700 to 800 mm long - 5mm thich too, just like the stuff we used in the "experiment". Anyway I bought 2 for less than £10. I've just spent the afternoon installing them and I'm very pleased with the result. The post is now as solid as a rock. You don't even see the stake much because it "hides" behind one of my plant pots! You need 2 stakes by the way, one in front and one behind. although you can probably do them on adjacent sides of the post if access is difficult. One wouldn't do though as it would bend.

Attachments

• P1090967.JPG
    P1090967.JPG
    757.2 KB · Views: 12
  • P1100196.JPG
    P1100196.JPG
    768.2 KB · Views: 10
  • P1100198.JPG
    P1100198.JPG
    751.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I'm struggling a little with over restricting radiators to allow the water in the radiator to transfer its heat/energy.

Assuming the boiler is not cycling on/off/on/off like mad then the water returning to the boiler will be cooler. Also for my older poterton boiler the maximum efficiency and maximum heat transfer of the boiler at maximum water temp of 85 deg.C is when the temperature differential across (out to in) is (I think) 10 deg.C. If the flow rate and radiator cooling are to great the boiler will never be able to reach max temp. Conversely to low then the boiler will be self cycling on max/over temp.

If the 10 deg.C is correct (note other boilers may have 15 or 20) and we had a single radiator then the rad temp drop would need to be 10 deg.C. so the radiator is transferring the boilers maximum heat output to the air. So say 80 in and 70 out. That would be a perfectly balanced setup. Over restricting would cause the

Also

I'm struggling a little with over restricting radiators to allow the water in the radiator to transfer its heat/energy.

Assuming the boiler is not cycling on/off/on/off like mad then the water returning to the boiler will be cooler. Also for my older poterton boiler the maximum efficiency and maximum heat transfer of the boiler at maximum water temp of 85 deg.C is when the temperature differential across (out to in) is (I think) 10 deg.C. If the flow rate and radiator cooling are to great the boiler will never be able to reach max temp. Conversely to low then the boiler will be self cycling on max/over temp.

If the 10 deg.C is correct (note other boilers may have 15 or 20) and we had a single radiator then the rad temp drop would need to be 10 deg.C. so the radiator is transferring the boilers maximum heat output to the air. So say 80 in and 70 out. That would be a perfectly balanced setup. Over restricting would cause the
Have to say, s130, it has given me reason to adopt a puzzled look on my face. I've owned (or had a mortgage on) four houses in my life. the first one was down in the south of England, Hampshire, and I didn't really think there was anything wrong with the partial (downstairs only) central heating system. It was a damned sight cosier than the draughty London flat we rented previously. Then we moved back up to Scotland and bought a new build house in a wee village on a windy hillside. The rooms to the back of the house were always coldest and one of the chaps in a neighbouring house, who "knew about plumbing" showed me how to, roughly, balance the radiators.

I've done it in every house since with good results. Basically it consists of opening all radiator taps to the max - both ends of each radiator. Then let the system run until all radiators are as hot as they are going to get, I recon about 15 to 20 minutes should do the trick. Then go round and feel each radiator top and bottom. If, on any given radiator, the top is colder than the bottom it probably needs to be bled. If the bottom is colder than the top you've probably got sludge in the radiator and need to remove the radiator and flush it out (could be more sludge in the pipes too? Power flushing may then be needed. You can power flush with mains water if you've got good water pressure and if you're handy at plumbing. getting a company in to power flush your system is expensive and some may well not carry out the flush effectively. My plumber friend Kevin - a different friend to the above, Kevin is a professional plumber - is very scathing of power flushing companies.

Once you've sorted this out then go round and feel each radiator and try to compare it with all the others - a heat gun helps a lot here, but I don't have one (Lidl/Aldi often sell them) if you find one rad colder than the others then it's likely it's not getting enough flow of water so go round all the other rads and close them down, a little bit at a time, (on the non regulator end if you've got thermostatic regulators) until that radiator is as hot as the others. It gets a bit more difficult if you've got more than one "cold" one because there's a bit more "fiddling" around and comparing. At the end of the day you want to have all radiators equally hot and all "nice and toasty". Once you've got them all approximately reaching the same heat you can go round and reset your individual room radiator thermostats - if you've got them, and if you haven't you really should be thinking of getting some fitted - I run the hall at No4 (max 5) and individual rooms at no3 mostly except the 2 spare bedrooms which are at just above frostguard. My plumber friend, who does my boiler and living room fire yearly service, told me to never screw the thermostatic valves down tightly to "off" and just leave them there. Apparently most designs have a rubber washer, much like an old style tap washer, and if you screw it down tight and leave it for a long time then the rubber washer can "weld" itself to it's seat and you'll be stripping, or replacing, the valve to get it up and working again. I open mine up about once a month in the winter - the ones on frostguard that is - and I open all valves and leave them open in the summer when I have the heating turned off.

As to boiler temperature. I don't actually know what mine is running at. I asked Kevin, my boiler man, what I should set it to and he twisted the dial on the boiler to about 2 o'clock and said "that'll do fine". My hot water tank - I'm still on a gravity fed system and like it because it's so easy to fault find and fix - has a thermostat which controls a motorized zone valve on the hot boiler water going to it's heating coil which I keep set to just over 65 degrees C and the boiler continues to circulate water through the radiators after the zone valve to the hot cylinder has closed so it must be running hotter than that. Probably running around 70 to 80 degrees I guess? the radiators are all very nice and toasty I can just about keep a hand on them but Mrs J thinks they are too hot to hold on to!

I've never been aware of the situation where the boiler shuts down and the radiators get colder because there's too much circulation taking place? or have I completely misunderstood what was being said?

I've never been aware of the situation where the boiler shuts down and the radiators get colder because there's too much circulation taking place? or have I completely misunderstood what was being said?

I basically agree with what you have written. As in life there is pure theory vs practical. We haven't even talked about pump speed :)

If the rate of heat extraction / transfers is less than the heat output of the boiler then the water returning to the boiler will be similar to the heated output. If the flow rate is low then the boiler will rapidly heat the water inside it and reach top temp. and then the boiler will shut off.

In your method of open all the valves and turn the stat up, pump on max speed then it is very very unlikely that the boiler will cycle. Ideally is should just run at full tilt. You can then do your balancing act. You then may find that the temp out is 80 and the temp in is 60. You can then adjust the pump speed to get the boiler differential to 80 / 70 (10 deg or what ever is the optimum for the boiler) by slowing the pump down from speer III to II.

When you read up on balancing methods they say start with all open, run round the house taking radiator temps. to get the order of heat up. If say the hall rad heats up the quickest then you close that one down. Let it all cool down and move on to the next and so on till all heat up and run at the same temp. on both the inlets and outlets.

But like I said theory is great but the practicalities of a system in real life differ. On my house the back bedroom radiator just never really got that warm. One way to get it warmer was to up the pump speed but even then I could not get the whole house roughly balanced. I then concluded that when the house was built (dry lined and 10mm micro bore some numpty kinked/dented one of the pipes on that rad. behind the dry lining and there was the possibility of gunge adding additional flow restriction. With the pump on three I could hear the water rushing/being squeezed through one of the pipes. Eventually by shutting of all the other rads and tapping the rad pipe the noise got less, flow better and I could then get things better setup.

The thermodynamics and fluid mechanics I really understand is that of a nice cup of hot tea cradled in my hands sipped at the right rate to maximum pleasure with burning ones tongue :)

I asked a neighbouring farmer about some fence posts it looked as if he was disgarding. Result offered £10 for them. He looked well pleased. I reckon theres 300ft of sound 2x2, which for my latest project is perfect and a bit of a bargain!

I asked a neighbouring farmer about some fence posts it looked as if he was disgarding. Result offered £10 for them. He looked well pleased. I reckon theres 300ft of sound 2x2, which for my latest project is perfect and a bit of a bargain!
Bloody good bargain and room for a little profit when your protect is done!

I moved the Ural and my ZT mower out of the garage this frigid morning and drove the Chevy pick up in. Purpose was to replace the wiper linkage for the second time in a year. Last time I used the truck, the wipers were fine. My son in law borrowed the truck later the same day and called me, wanting to know why one wiper wasn't moving. Crap. He had the truck for the week while his was in the shop and I was out of town. He returned the truck with a brand new wiper linkage in the rear seat.(Yes, an ubiquitous oversized 4 door American pick up. I have a love/hate thing going with it but that's another story for another time.)
So, I start to pull the wiper arms off by first yanking on the left wiper arm and it moves freely. Damn, feels like a broken linkage. I removed the cover over the nut and WTF!, I can spin the nut with my fingers. I turn the wipers on after pulling the left arm and I can't even slow the spindle with my hand. Yay! Not a broken wiper linkage, just a loose nut. Put the wiper arm back on, this time with Loc-tite 242 on the threads. While I'm at it, I decide to check the right side wiper arm. Not as loose as the left one, but not tight, either. Instead of 2.5 to 3 hours, it was 20 minutes of my time.

As I now had some time to kill, I rounded up all the punctured Ural inner tubes I had laying around the garage because 2019/2020 were bad years for flat tires. I now have a whack of limited stretch rubber bands.:D
51866770665_da062829b4_z.jpg

Back