What's made you grumpy today?

Currently reading:
What's made you grumpy today?

Neighbours fence is wrecked that we share (but he's admitted its his) , it's gone from "I'm getting a new fence" to "would you mind contributing" to "we can't afford to give you anything towards"
So I'm meant to pay for their fence?
He has a guide rope on my lawn holding it up which WAS fine, but now it's like keep the guide rope or put us a new fence up!
Gonna get quotes and take them round, if he can't "contribute" then F it!
Wouldn't care last one he put up was made from 2nd hand chip board without us knowing or asking.

Neighbours fence is wrecked that we share (but he's admitted its his) , it's gone from "I'm getting a new fence" to "would you mind contributing" to "we can't afford to give you anything towards"
He has a guide rope on my lawn holding it up which WAS fine, but now it's like keep the guide rope or put us a new fence up!
Wouldn't care last one he put up was made from 2nd hand chip board without us knowing or asking.

From memory no legal requirement for them to replace it, so although 'their' fence per say, if they don't want it replaced, or can't afford it then the ball is in your court :(

Just ditch the fence, borrow a nasty big dog (or some noisy children) and let it/them run riot all over their garden. They'll soon put a new fence up. (y)

Last edited:

Just get your boundary documents and find out who owns it. They you got proof

From memory no legal requirement for them to replace it, so although 'their' fence per say, if they don't want it replaced, or can't afford it then the ball is in your court :(

My understanding is that if it is "your" boundary, you must maintain that boundary. However, that does not need to be a fence. Two posts and a bit of string to mark the line will meet the requirements.

My understanding is that if it is "your" boundary, you must maintain that boundary. However, that does not need to be a fence. Two posts and a bit of string to mark the line will meet the requirements.

Pretty much. Depends if any agreements were made before on who would maintain it, and whether the fence is needed (i.e. you have dogs).

First ever stone chip in the original windscreen today.. Almost 10 years old. At least insurance will cover it (as long as it's repairable, which I reckon it is).
Mine had two stonechips in the screen since the day I bought it. The one in front of me seemed to 'chew' at the wiper blades so you always had a streak of water through that spot. I put up with that for years but recently, the screen seemed to get really bad, full of tiny, tiny flecks so that when the sun shone through it was like the screen was covered with glitter.
Having National come & replace the screen on my bus, I saw the bill was only £104 so I figured it was cheap enough to have mine replaced - same price but they sent me a £20 Amazon voucher (y) My insurance will do a free replacement but you pay the first £50 so I figured it was worthwhile paying.
Less than a month later, on hols, a stone flew up from the wheels of a lorry - left a chip right in front of my dashcam (n) :bang:

Just spent forever replacing the sidelights on my Doblo.
Trouble with these short-nosed cars is that everything under the bonnet is a tight squeeze.
'just' managed to get the OS cover off the back of the light assembly - some metal pipework runs way too close behind for comfort - only to realise I'd undone the wrong cover :bang:
Got the right cover on the NS - only to lose my grip on it as I was trying to pull it out :cry:
Damned thing dropped into the nether regions of the engine compartment. Took me an age trying to fish it out with my flexi-grip tool thingy. It was like one of them damned claw machines you get at the fairground etc. 'just' when you think you have the prize, it slips from the claw :cry:

And the other problem with these covers - made of plastic, they seem to become really tight over time - and the flimsy lugs you grip to undo the covers become brittle & break off!
Whoever designs this crap wants their backside booting.

If you haven't brought a new car lately you'd maybe be ignorant on how hard the salesman try to sell you at least another 5/6 items you really don't need. When the salesman gave me the bill yesterday all the below had been added to the new price of my Fiat 500. I nearly had a stoke.

First finance. It's a huge seller and something every dealership tries to sell you even if your a cash buyer. I tell them countless time I don't want credit, but it's always pushed.

Diamond-bright.. A polish for around £400+ that adds a shine they say it means you will never have to polish your car again.

Upholstery Stain-guard. Sprayed so you never have to clean it again another £400 or so.

Price drop depression insurance £480. This gives you the difference back in case of an accident when your insurance company tells you it will not give you the price you think it's worth?

Service guarantee plan. A fixed monthly payment added to the cost of you car.

Tyre and car insurance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!From Fiat, yes sure how much extra is it over my own company.

I declined all the above because I'm a low mileage user and retired. But the hard sell spoilt my day and it's not only Fiat do this. My Daughter had the same hard sell at Audi, and my son at Honda.

It made me grumpy all day and today too? I love the car but not the hard sell, sorry.

Price drop depression insurance £480. This gives you the difference back in case of an accident when your insurance company tells you it will not give you the price you think it's worth?

Im guessing this is GAP insurance. Basically if you drive the car off the forecout usually it looses a few thousand. Lets say you have a crash and your car is written off, you still owe £16k on finance but the insurance company only deams your car is worth £10k this means you have a £6k shortfall, this doesnt allow you to pay off the debt and thus needing to find another £6k, which the GAP insurance will cover.

I bought it for my Abarth due to the risk but didnt need it however it didnt cost me as much as £480!

Back