What's made you grumpy today?

Currently reading:
What's made you grumpy today?

So the £50 + billion we will still be paying off in the 2030s from Tony Blair's failed PFI scheme had nothing to do with NHS problems?
Basically most politicians couldn't run a tap, so what ever political persuasion, they are they all take guidance from the Civil Servants, who manage to keep their heads below the parapet whilst the media shoot the Government Ministers at the helm. So who are the clever ones? ;)
Didn’t John Major start the whole PFI ball rolling, and I seem to remember they were still building PFI up until 2018/19

Literally nothing to do with the discussion above, but as you bring it up, pre 2010

our health secretary (head politician in charge of the health service) Jeremy Hunt wanted to move to a U.S. system and completely stripped money out of the NHS with the intention of creating failure and pushing people to turn against the NHS, thankfully this didn’t work and his plan further destroyed by covid and the overwhelming need for the NHS, but unfortunately this man is now in charge of the country’s budget, so i suspect he’ll attack the NHS again through the budget before long, probably blame the failures in the workers wanting to be paid properly taking money away from patients.
"
Didn’t John Major start the whole PFI ball rolling, and I seem to remember they were still building PFI up until 2018/19

Literally nothing to do with the discussion above, but as you bring it up, pre 2010"

As you say nothing to do with the discussion, but since you brought it in???

It doesnt seem to matter who started the PFI thing as I agree with Bugsymike that none of the could be truusted, even to sit the right way round on a toilet. PFI was a poor idea wherever it came from! The product of a very inadequate mind and over usedas a result.

I feel the big issue at the moment is extremism and moving off to the the far right, along with contempt for ordinary people. We need a change to ensure a more socially sutainable approach results and because the current shower have lost both a sense of proper direction and even more so of common decency! There are so many lies and half truths in the government system it corrupts all who go near it. Restoring some form of normal, socially responsible decency is however vital to ensure our democrartic system does not become a casualty. The indecent split of wealth and lack of moral fibre in those with the money will in the end cause real trouble. Money as a driver and motivator is corrupting at best. The time for the pedulum to swing back is overdue wich is very unhealthy if we want a reasonably stable backdrop. When backs are against the wall an intelligent leaderwould choose the widest base for his team and a unified form of government. Our backs are clearly against the wall at present. Clearly the leaders we have are morons as they seem to think otherwise, THIS MAKES ME EXCEEDINGLY GRUMPY!

Accountability for ones action seems to be lacking from the very top to the very bottom.
It's unlikely to improve, but that is the problem in my eyes, once it started then the only way is downhill.
As a child in the early 1960s, I found a ten shilling note on the pavement (50p thanks to inflation) I took it to the Police Station and 3 months later I was allowed to keep it, nowadays most of us if we found a £50 note would pocket it.
I would say my mum was bringing up three young children on a Widows Pension after my Dad died at 48 years old so life was hard and ten shillings was a lot of money to us, but she still gave us a good sense of values.

Accountability for ones action seems to be lacking from the very top to the very bottom.
It's unlikely to improve, but that is the problem in my eyes, once it started then the only way is downhill.
As a child in the early 1960s, I found a ten shilling note on the pavement (50p thanks to inflation) I took it to the Police Station and 3 months later I was allowed to keep it, nowadays most of us if we found a £50 note would pocket it.
I would say my mum was bringing up three young children on a Widows Pension after my Dad died at 48 years old so life was hard and ten shillings was a lot of money to us, but she still gave us a good sense of values.
Its sad. All the young people I know have a proper sense of right and wrong, and of common decency and sensitivity. This suggest this is not a symptom of the times or a function of age, and really makes you wonder what is wrong with the people who perpetrate the acts that spark our outrage. Perhaps the examples that are upheld (B Johnson e.g.) nare a product of the public schools they attended. The people who struggle seem no different to years back. Its the people who dont need to who seem to become ever more revolting with a total lack of moral fibre. I hope I'm never in a life boat with any of these hooray Henrys.... It would be over the side, I certainly wouldnt want to eat them.

"

Literally nothing to do with the discussion above, but as you bring it up, pre 2010"

As you say nothing to do with the discussion, but since you brought it in???
I literally have no idea what you’re saying here? Did I bring up PFI in the NHS ? Pretty certain I was replying to another member about something completely unrelated.
Seems at the moment I can’t post anything without you having to reply so I’ll just assume this goes hand in hand with that need to reply everything I post.

I literally have no idea what you’re saying here? Did I bring up PFI in the NHS ? Pretty certain I was replying to another member about something completely unrelated.
Seems at the moment I can’t post anything without you having to reply so I’ll just assume this goes hand in hand with that need to reply everything I post.
It may come as a surprise, but not everyone shares your political opinions.

It may come as a surprise, but not everyone shares your political opinions.
I get it you’re an ardent Tory incapable of critical thought but
1. I couldn’t care less
2. The conversation wasn’t with you.
3. The point you brought up was wrong anyway

Feel free to not take every post on here as a personal attack against your views, especially where you were not being addressed.

Unusual noise I've been noticing for a wee while in the Ibiza, It's a sort of quiet "siren" noise, like you used to get off the old style town and country type tyre tread pattern. Been trying to track it down today - I do suspect it's tyre related, but trying to eliminate other possibilities. So, jacked up front wheels and put axle stands under the subframe then did all the usual stuff. Wiggled the wheels top and bottom and side to side to check for bearing play. Spun the wheels by hand to listen for bearing "rumble" and checked on full lock for CV joint wear. Next spun one wheel up by hand with the other chocked and heard the usual slight noise the spider gears in the diff make, seems Ok, nothing I wasn't expecting to hear. Then with both wheels in the air rotated both front wheels together. Thought I heard a very slight noise from the box so thought I'd do what I've done in the past which is, with rear wheels securely chocked I stuck it in 2nd gear and tried to drive the front wheels with the engine. Oh dear! you can't do this on a modern car. It's been years since I had reason to do this but now, with ABS and traction control all that happened was the fly-by-wire throttle shut down back to an idle, the front brakes applied (probably rears too?) and a message came up on the dash "release hand brake" no doubt because the system detected the rear wheels were stationary. Modern cars? GRRRRRRRR! On the other hand it's very pleasing to see there's not even the slightest of oil leaks from the power unit - that is engine and gearbox, all as clean as you could wish and it's going into it's seventh year of life now. Shouldn't have said that though should I? it'll be leaking next time I look just to teach me a lesson!

Oh, and the noise? Well, One of the tyres had over 50 psi in it! a wee while ago I had a puncture and I just trusted the garage would have set the pressure correctly! Now set up correctly and TPMS light immediately illuminated so looks like the garage must have reset it after the puncture? Anyway, all correctly pressured and TPMS reset. Going out south of the city to my boy's house Saturday and I think I'll find the noise is gone - you don't hear the noise at city speeds. Won't be going back to that garage (only went there because I was in a hurry and my usual chap couldn't respond for 24 hours)

Unusual noise I've been noticing for a wee while in the Ibiza, It's a sort of quiet "siren" noise, like you used to get off the old style town and country type tyre tread pattern. Been trying to track it down today - I do suspect it's tyre related, but trying to eliminate other possibilities. So, jacked up front wheels and put axle stands under the subframe then did all the usual stuff. Wiggled the wheels top and bottom and side to side to check for bearing play. Spun the wheels by hand to listen for bearing "rumble" and checked on full lock for CV joint wear. Next spun one wheel up by hand with the other chocked and heard the usual slight noise the spider gears in the diff make, seems Ok, nothing I wasn't expecting to hear. Then with both wheels in the air rotated both front wheels together. Thought I heard a very slight noise from the box so thought I'd do what I've done in the past which is, with rear wheels securely chocked I stuck it in 2nd gear and tried to drive the front wheels with the engine. Oh dear! you can't do this on a modern car. It's been years since I had reason to do this but now, with ABS and traction control all that happened was the fly-by-wire throttle shut down back to an idle, the front brakes applied (probably rears too?) and a message came up on the dash "release hand brake" no doubt because the system detected the rear wheels were stationary. Modern cars? GRRRRRRRR! On the other hand it's very pleasing to see there's not even the slightest of oil leaks from the power unit - that is engine and gearbox, all as clean as you could wish and it's going into it's seventh year of life now. Shouldn't have said that though should I? it'll be leaking next time I look just to teach me a lesson!

You not got an off button Jock? Most will allow deactivation. Also release handbrake tends to be advisory...don't ask me how I know 🤣

You not got an off button Jock? Most will allow deactivation. Also release handbrake tends to be advisory...don't ask me how I know 🤣
This will be the stability control wondering what the hell is going on the car is moving the electronic hand brake is on and the sensors in the car that detect it’s directional movement will be showing no input.

Basically jock triggered a panic attack in his cars ECU.

This will be the stability control wondering what the hell is going on the car is moving the electronic hand brake is on and the sensors in the car that detect it’s directional movement will be showing no input.

Basically jock triggered a panic attack in his cars ECU.
Aye, but the off function exists for the specified purpose rocking the car out of snow etc.

So as long as you don't exceed the speed speedlimit (assuming VW have one) it shouldn't be bothered the wheels are at significantly different speeds.

Most cars have a handbrake on warning..I used to see it fairly regularly..given the low miles it was the only way of cleaning up the rear discs. On ours it seems to be linked to nothing, was on the Mazda as well just a bong and a message.

Aye, but the off function exists for the specified purpose rocking the car out of snow etc.

So as long as you don't exceed the speed speedlimit (assuming VW have one) it shouldn't be bothered the wheels are at significantly different speeds.
I can confirm there is no off button on VAG cars, really if you have an off button for the TCS it never really switches it fully off anyway, just gives it a shot if diazepam to lessen the panic attack

Took a while to decide whether this was somethign for this grumpy thread, or the shock thread. Then, as it was a Ford, less of a shock, so grumpy it is.

For a commercial training session this afternoon, we were provided with a hire car. A slightly careworn '20' reg Fiesta, with just under 44k miles. We set off out of his estate, all speed bumps and 20mph limit. First speed bump, the rear bounced several times. Again on each subsequent bump.
Once onto a 30mph road, reasonably smooth, the rear was bouncing up and down like a yo-yo, worse on the nearside. As the speed increased, the bouncing got worse. 5 minutes of that, and I stopped the session. The car is unfit for the road. We called the hire company, and after a little head-scratching, they reluctantly offered us an upgrade to a nearly new MINI Countryman. That's better.

The Fiesta was frankly dangerous. I've not experienced dampers that shot for many years. I know people are genrally not car savvy these days, but those dampers were shot a long time ago, and no-one has complained when returning the car.

Took a while to decide whether this was somethign for this grumpy thread, or the shock thread. Then, as it was a Ford, less of a shock, so grumpy it is.

For a commercial training session this afternoon, we were provided with a hire car. A slightly careworn '20' reg Fiesta, with just under 44k miles. We set off out of his estate, all speed bumps and 20mph limit. First speed bump, the rear bounced several times. Again on each subsequent bump.
Once onto a 30mph road, reasonably smooth, the rear was bouncing up and down like a yo-yo, worse on the nearside. As the speed increased, the bouncing got worse. 5 minutes of that, and I stopped the session. The car is unfit for the road. We called the hire company, and after a little head-scratching, they reluctantly offered us an upgrade to a nearly new MINI Countryman. That's better.

The Fiesta was frankly dangerous. I've not experienced dampers that shot for many years. I know people are genrally not car savvy these days, but those dampers were shot a long time ago, and no-one has complained when returning the car.
Aye PB, common sense seems to have gone out the window. If there's not a light lit on the dash then the problem doesn't exist and even if there is - a light lit - no-one knows what it means anyway.

I can confirm there is no off button on VAG cars, really if you have an off button for the TCS it never really switches it fully off anyway, just gives it a shot if diazepam to lessen the panic attack
Older audi used to have it, I had a 2002 A3 and the button did disable the whole ESP.

Duff rear dampers are fun, not had that in a car for many years, the back end bouncing round corners.

Back