General What should I pay for a luggage rack?

Currently reading:
General What should I pay for a luggage rack?

Does anyone know what a reasonable price for a used luggage rack is?
I really want one for my barchetta. The one I have seen is a Fapa in close to new condition. I understand that an original Fiat is expensive these days.
Any help appreciated
/Jorgen

you could find universal one... it does not have to be from Fiat. just need to find proper size, or even better with adjustable hooks to fit to boot. (y)

second one is with adjustable hooks, because hood is a bit rounded...
18-luggage-rack_qtr_lg.JPG
mr2-5-rs.JPG

Whatever luggage rack you buy, make sure you install it the right way round (like on the MR2 in F4usT's post), not back to front as shown on the photograph of the Mazda. :)

Regards
Giorgio

Whatever luggage rack you buy, make sure you install it the right way round (like on the MR2 in F4usT's post), not back to front as shown on the photograph of the Mazda. :)

Regards
Giorgio

A common and possibly understandible mistake for those who don't think a little deeper.

Most sports cars with boot rack capability slope rearwards. People putting cases on racks don't want them to slide off before having a chance to strap them on so thus put the vertical retaining part of the rack rearwards.

They end up with bad headaches and damaged folding tops later on when/if they get involved in an accident.

Please, always ensure any fitted boot or roof rack will stop loads moving forwards in the absense of any other securing straps.

I was looking for a luggage rack for my B a couple of years ago, and held out until an original one became available. The main difference between the original and the generic one posted above is that the four 'feet' are bigger on the FIAT one and are located so that they bear on both the boot edge and the rear wings. If memory serves me right, the B's boot went through various revisions of steel guage in order to combat dings/ distortions better. The further the foot is from the anchors, the greater the risk of deformation in my mind, and the original incorporates the anchor point within the bearing foot... a neat solution.

However, finding one is tricky now, and prices are rather steep... So all I can add is that the general rack shown above is pretty close in aesthetics and compliments the B, but be warey of over tightening the fittings and don't load it up with a 20kg suitcase.

Worth checking if the general rack has little slots on the underside of the rails to feed straps through too... v useful when trying to secure luggage.

Last edited:
Back