Technical That shouldn't be there, should it?

Currently reading:
Technical That shouldn't be there, should it?

Doest this mount/support/bracket belong in the b-95?

Motor mount.jpg

Mount from above.jpg

Background:
The b -95 makes a vibrating noise when taking hard right turns.

The top one of three cooler-expansion-tank-fastening-feet was broken and missing, and therefore the tank was rubbing against a fuel vapour line and the above engine/mount/bracket. Thus I assumed this was the cause of the noise. After getting a new-old replacement tank and finding that it too was broken I messily repaired it, using material from the old tank. All proud of myself, I test mounted it for fit, but it wasn't even close..! The tank won't seat at the upper end due to this engine bracket. I double checked the expansion-tank; new-old and old are identical. Next I checked a few barchetta engines on the internet (enclosed thumbnails), and the motor mount doesn't seem to be there.

Looking from above, the motor mount seems to possibly be integrated with the 55190861 steering pump pulley mount (difficult to see). If the motor mount belongs on the barchetta engine, what is its role and what should it fasten to? Now it just looks like a sore thumb (without a mission).

To fasten the expansion tank at the upper end, I believe I need to either get rid of the (unused?) engine mount or "raise" the upper expansion-tank seating. The bolt for the expansion tank can just barely be seen in the first photo (Motor mount) but more clearly in the second photo, on the left side just outside the red ring (Mount from above).

Anyone care to comment?
Thanks,
tjr

Attachments

• IMG_4445.PNG
    IMG_4445.PNG
    78.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4446.PNG
    IMG_4446.PNG
    71.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4447.PNG
    IMG_4447.PNG
    63.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4448.PNG
    IMG_4448.PNG
    81.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
very odd….no engine mount in that area on mine (99). Just three mounts, one on the lower forward right hand side, and two fore and aft of the gearbox. I believe they are all the same. Presumably the mount you see is attached at the other end?! If I look up an Alfa 1.8 on eper there is a mount there…..

very odd….no engine mount in that area on mine (99). Just three mounts, one on the lower forward right hand side, and two fore and aft of the gearbox. I believe they are all the same. Presumably the mount you see is attached at the other end?! If I look up an Alfa 1.8 on eper there is a mount there…..

Yes, it looked to me similar to the one in the 156 I had. But as I don't have a general view of the Barchetta engine, so cannot be sure it's the same.

Attached 2 side photos of the 156 engine. Ah, that's a 2 liter engine, but the mountings should be the same to fit the same engine bay.

Attachments

• 0888ed1940efbd26dd5ee9a4aceb.jpeg
    0888ed1940efbd26dd5ee9a4aceb.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Alfa silnik 20 TS #1.JPG
    Alfa silnik 20 TS #1.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 35
Reactions: tjr
Super, thanks! Found it, I wonder what in the world is it doing in my daughter's b..?

Yes, it looked to me similar to the one in the 156 I had. But as I don't have a general view of the Barchetta engine, so cannot be sure it's the same.

Attached 2 side photos of the 156 engine. Ah, that's a 2 liter engine, but the mountings should be the same to fit the same engine bay.
Thanks for great photos! I'll have to look closer in ePER, doesn't look like it will come off all that easy...

That is easy. It came in with the whole engine...
You’re thinking an engine swap? Hmm nothing in the service manual or old receipts… The cover is Fiat, but underneath 🤷‍♂️ I wonder how much is interchangeable within Pratola Serra B, and how to tell what is what..! Oh boy 🤦‍♂️

I can't even imagine how, and especially what for someone could add an extra mounting point to the engine installed in the car :)

Do I understand correctly that B-95 is a Barchetta produced in 95? If so, it has 29 years. I don't believe in a FIAT engine lasting that long :D

I can't even imagine how, and especially what for someone could add an extra mounting point to the engine installed in the car :)

Do I understand correctly that B-95 is a Barchetta produced in 95? If so, it has 29 years. I don't believe in a FIAT engine lasting that long :D
Correct 1995 and 117.000km… I was thinking maybe a small service shop and only an Alfa pulley mount (if connected)…?

Insights in telltale differences between a Fiat barchetta (mk1) engine and an Alfa (1.8/2.0?) would be appreciated.

So far it's 2-2, I guess... The dang thing is sitting in a barchetta with a Fiat engine cover which would solidly claim Fiat, but a surplus engine mount and a dipstick-pull-ring interfering with the hood are threatening to disturb my assumptions... 😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫

The best would be to get to the engine number and check in the internet or dealership where it comes from. It could be tricky not knowing which engine is that and where the number should be located. No idea if FIAT marks his engines in the same place...

It doesn't have to be an Alfa engine. Could also come from another FIAT, a Lancia... or even could be a VW TDI :D :D :D

I was trying to get through my documents hoping to find the 156 ePER to perhaps find the mount part number, it could be easier to locate on which engines it was used, but I only have the eLearn.

If i find anything on the mount, I will share it :)

Reactions: tjr
Back