what does this sign mean?

Currently reading:
what does this sign mean?

_44091435_satnav.jpg

:chin:

I think it's the posh people living in the countryside trying to stop HGV's using their villages as 'rat runs'. The age of 'sat nav' means everybody with a sat nav has access to the rat runs only the locals used to know about. Some places are banning HGV's from their roads because since the sat nav became popular their villages have turned into the M6 at rush hour.

the fact is though, if the road can take HGV's then they are entitled to drive where ever they wish, the village would have to buy the road and turn it into a private road to stop satnav company's from using it. infact im sure you are still entitled to use private roads though. cool sign.

I think it actually means that although your sat nav will route you this way, it is not suitable for HGV's and you will probably get stuck. Not all roads are banned for HGV's, but a HGV simply won't fit down the road and it is impossible to turn around.

They are planning on enforcing sat nav companies to list bridge heights, road widths etc so that HGV's can plan their routes as well as normal cars.

I think it actually means that although your sat nav will route you this way, it is not suitable for HGV's and you will probably get stuck. Not all roads are banned for HGV's, but a HGV simply won't fit down the road and it is impossible to turn around.

They are planning on enforcing sat nav companies to list bridge heights, road widths etc so that HGV's can plan their routes as well as normal cars.

Think some are like that but if you read the article, it's not the case, they're just a whining bunch of NIMBYs.

Think some are like that but if you read the article, it's not the case, they're just a whining bunch of NIMBYs.

They should put some protesting villagers in the background of the picture to make it more accurate.

It would be more accurate with a crowd of angry villagers wielding flaming torches and pitchforks chasing a lorry out of the village.

I've had this argument with motorists when I used to drive a coach up narrow lanes (ones that I knew were ok).
They'd say "there's a sign saying unsuitable for HGVs"
and I'd say "it's not an HGV and even if it was, the sign says unsuitable, not no HGVs, so f*ck off".
Haulage firms and coach firms pay a mint in road tax every year and then get forced off roads that have no restrictions on them. Used to make me mad, so I went back to courier work.

to the complaining villagers, next time you buy a house consider the proximity of main roads, and until then stfu.

i was also told these signs could only be used in situations where the road would be 'unsuitable' for hgv's.

in the report there is no mention that this sign has been used, it is only there for illustration purposes because it is half related to the topic. if it was used that would be a misuse, which is illegal.

Last edited:
Poggy is right, this was in the paper the other day.

Erm, Co-Pilot have a Truck specific sat nav program dunno how truck friendly it is however.

Liam

Back