General What does the EL mean?

Currently reading:
General What does the EL mean?

Hi

I just got a new (2002) Seicento last week and I am loving it. Only 16800m on the clock and beetling around like a rocket. I never drove one before so this is a new experience for me, but so far so good.

But something I have been trying t0o look up without success. What does the EL mean on the back?

It just means it's an EL model....
Seicento's sold in Eire had a different badge letter system to those sold in the UK (or Northern Ireland).
The EL Sei is exactly the same model as the SX Sei sold in the UK.

Bit confused by the alternative badge system for cars that were sold in Eire & abroad.
Previously found the ELX Sei was identical to the SX so therefore the EL should be equivalent to the S model BUT pictures of EL badged cars for sale in Eire at the moment look identical to the SX -colour coded bumpers etc.
https://www.fiatforum.com/cinquecento-seicento/323996-seicento-elx.html
Found a link that implied EL & ELX models were manufactured between 02/2001 & 10/2002 so they would all be 1.1 MPI wet gearbox models.

bobjo: If it's got black plastic bumpers it's the same as a 'S', if it's got body coloured bumpers it's basically a 'SX' model .

Last edited:
Thanks for all the helpful answers. I should have mentioned that, yes, the car was originally registered in Dublin (and still is).

It has black bunpers (and is also black) so thats not too helpful :) But there is no sunroof, electric windows, central locking etc, so from my reading of wikipedia that makes it basically the same as a late model (2002) S with 1108 engine and precious little else to distract one.

Yup, lack of sunroof makes it a S model (SX & Sporting had a sunroof as standard). Bumpers will be unpainted black plastic, & yours wouldn't have the rubber strips down the sides that a SX has.
On the bright side it may only be the base model but at least the engine is exactly the same as the SX.

Back