Technical What do i need to do!

Currently reading:
Technical What do i need to do!

Hi
i recently got a ignition barell and 2 keys for my 02 1.2 8v punto from a scrapyard and was wondering if i had to change the ecu or do anything else? if i do have to change the ecu does anyone know where it is on the car? any help will be much appreciated :D

ecu is attached behind throttle valve, i think you need to change fuse box aswell, unless you just attach previous key behind ignition cowelling, but then you will have no immobaliser on your car
(sorry about spelling)

Hi David
thanks for your reply. My punto is one of the most basic models and dosnt even come with an immobiliser or rear speakers :p I have the original key that came with the car, which allows me to start and run the car fine, but i got another ignition barell and all the locks off of another punto from the scrapyard so would i need to get anything coded as i now have 3 keys?

ok but i need to change the old ignition barell as its worn and dosnt turn properly and also the old key has been damaged. does that mean that i have to get the new keys and barell coded to fit my ecu or the ecu coded with the new keys code?

I have just 1 key for my MK1 that will start the car but then have a backup key (cut my self at work) that will just open the car up if anything where to happen to the proper key.

Do you reckon if you put the old key with right chip on the keyring the car might still start or would it get confuzed with the 2 codes been transmitted???

hey
just an update of what's gone on so far. We have located the ecu and are planning to swap the ecu with the one matching from the scrapyard, which we are looking to get tomorrow. The only problem is that the punto we took all the other bits off of was a mk2 elx 1.2 16v punto and ours is only the normal 1.2 8v punto. Is there any difference between the two cars with regards to the parts we have taken off? I'm an amateur when it comes to cars :p

basically i'm changing the ignition barell over and i have 2 keys and all the locks off a punto from the scrapyard. I also need to change the key that came with our car so thought it would be easier to swap all the parts i got from the scrapyard with the same parts already on my car but i've been told to also get the ecu from the scrapyard else it wont all work. However the punto from the scrapyard is a different model (elx 1.2 16v) to mine (1.2 8v) and i was just wondering if the ecu would also be different?

Fingers99 is right, your cheapest option is to remove the lower steering shroud (four 3mm allen screws), remove the black aerial ring from around the ignition barrel, tape your original, working key inside it, and tuck the lot away. You can then fit your secondhand barrel and use the secondhand keys to operate the ignition.

If someone is able to cut a fresh key from your original, worn key, you can keep that to unlock the doors. If it's too badly worn to be copied, your next best option is to obtain all the door/boot/petrol cap locks from the donor car and fit to yours.

Your only issue is that with the bypass trick, your car is effectively less secure as a thief could drive away more easily once they get in.

Back