Technical Wet weather tyre suggestions

Currently reading:
Technical Wet weather tyre suggestions

Funnily enough I was looking at Asda too.

I saw the Kumho Ecsta HS52 has 2 none XL and one XL. The two non XL are a £68 B rated wet and an £80 A rated wet. I was thinking for an extra £12 per tyre, is the higher rating worth it? I know know much about these ratings. Would I notice a difference in A over B?
The EU label records only wet braking distance as the measure. So an A will pull up a little more quickly than a B in extremis.

Bear in mind that all seasons tyres will murder both of those in cold weather with damp that's typical of most winter months. It does that by maintaining its pliancy in cold conditions which helps to maximise grip.

B rated more than enough for a normal Fiat 500 driven normally, haven't bought tyres for a while prices seem to have gone nuts?
If you think thats bad wait until your insurance renewal comes up!!!
40 to50% increases across the board this year! if you want a laugh ask em why and stand back and listen to the BU***HIT!
MORE DRIVERS POST COVID?/ COST OF REPAIRING ELECTRIC VEHICLES!?( what the F**ks that got to do with us driving 1.2 500,s)
never heard so much:poop: its the government further restricting the masses by covertly limiting freedoms! via stealth policies.

what the F**ks that got to do with us driving 1.2 500,s
You might be involved in an 'at fault' collision with one.

Any damage involving the battery pack seems to write them off. Doesn't exactly help the environmental case for switching.

More EV's on the road means the average cost of a crash goes up.

The EU label records only wet braking distance as the measure. So an A will pull up a little more quickly than a B in extremis.

Bear in mind that all seasons tyres will murder both of those in cold weather with damp that's typical of most winter months. It does that by maintaining its pliancy in cold conditions which helps to maximise grip.
Aaah, I didn't realise that the all weather ones had properties that made them better in the cold. Thank you for pointing that out.

This is the place I have gone to for other work in the past and my dad has been to for tyres. The only 2 all weather tyres they have are roadX or Nexen. I've heard of Nexen before, do you know if they are on par with the Kumho? About the same price at £280 fully fitted.

I didn't realise that the all weather ones had properties that made them better in the cold
Just be aware that there are downsides to all weather tyres; they'll wear faster, use more fuel, likely be noisier, and summer tyres will outperform them in dry warmer weather.

Like most things, there's no single solution that's best for all conditions. In the UK, a lot depends on whereabouts in the country you're living, and if you need to get about at all hours in the worst of the winter weather.

The best tyres for someone living in the Peak District may not be the same as the best tyres for someone living in Bournemouth.

Nexen are reasonably well known now. Never heard of the other brand.

Nexen a mid-lowish performer based on tests:

I'd favour the Kumhos over either.

Just be aware that there are downsides to all weather tyres; they'll wear faster, use more fuel, and likely be noisier.

Like most things, there's no single solution that's best for all conditions.
They don't wear faster in my hands. The noise is measured on the standard scale and is therefore comparable with summers. They really are much much better than the tyres of even a very few years ago when they were a real compromise.

For 95% of people they are the only tyres they need.

Just be aware that there are downsides to all weather tyres; they'll wear faster, use more fuel, and likely be noisier.

Like most things, there's no single solution that's best for all conditions.
Yeah I remember being told the same on my motorbike and assumed it would be similar on a car.

I can't really afford to buy different tyres for different seasons so I'd rather compromise on things that don't effect the actual handling such as wear, fuel efficiency and noise in order to get something that will do reasonably well in all weather conditions.

Nexen are reasonably well known now. Never heard of the other brand.

Nexen a mid-lowish performer based on tests:

I'd favour the Kumhos over either.
Thank you. I think I'll go for Kumhos and I'll stick with the all weather solus over the summer ecsta.

Thank you. I think I'll go for Kumhos and I'll stick with the all weather solus over the summer ecsta.
Yes, don't overthink this.

Whatever you choose is going to be heaps better than what you've got now.

And as a motorcyclist, you've a big advantage - your past experience will have given you a good feel for the likely traction you'll find on any given road surface, and which conditions are likely to be particularly hazardous.

You might be involved in an 'at fault' collision with one.

Any damage involving the battery pack seems to write them off. Doesn't exactly help the environmental case for switching.

More EV's on the road means the average cost of a crash goes up.
Good point well made! still a bleeding **** take though!

I was put off khumo many years ago, dreadful in the wet. When I went in early to get them changed for something else the guy said they are one of the best sellers so they must be good. Even this guy here with the BMW fits them, I then asked how they were in the wet and he agreed worst tyre he's had on the car in the wet.

I like the dunlop sport maxx, they dont do them at the 500 size, so I think we went for uniroyal or mitchelin because they had a much better wet rating than the basic dunlop.

My advice;

1) Avoid cheap places that just deliver tyres and then you have to get them fitted yourself... finding the someone to fit them yourself is a PITA and they charge you a tenner a wheel minimum, plus the old tyre disposal, plus nitrogen gas etc., so you have to add about £60 to the price for 4 tyres.

Just Google "buy cheap tyres in <where you live>". If you're buying 4 you can get decent discounts that will work out cheaper, incl. fitting.

2) Look at all the tyres in your price range. Choose the one with the sexiest tread pattern.
There is no real difference between the different noise and wet weather grip ratings so don't obsess about those. Anything A - C will be cool. The difference between a 69DB and a 71DB noise rating falls into "you won't notice" so again, don't pay extra.

3) 500 only needs a T-rated tyre, so don't spend extra on H-rated... although not every H-rated is more expensive than every T-rated tyre. Just look at the price, not the speed rating.

4) Similarly an XL tyre is not needed. They tend to cost about a fiver more and make the ride slightly firmer. If you always lug around 4 people plus a dead body in the boot OR your local roads look like a bomb-site then XL might be better since they have a stiffer sidewall and will be more resistant to sidewall damage.

• Goodyear Efficient grip (A-B rated) are the best wet weather tyres I've used personally... but their prices have gone a bit bonkers lately. You might find a good deal locally though.
  • I currently have Bridgestone T005 (C-B rated) and they're fine, though again, prices are creeping up.
  • Avon ZT-7 seem to be available in a mid-£60s price bracket and even though they're "only" D-B rated, I had them before on my old Alfa '45 and they were phenomenal (albeit replacing a mixed set of Ling-Long, Nankang, Lifejoy and Nicky-nacky-noo).

Ralf S.

1) Avoid cheap places that just deliver tyres and then you have to get them fitted yourself... finding the someone to fit them yourself is a PITA and they charge you a tenner a wheel minimum, plus the old tyre disposal, plus nitrogen gas etc., so you have to add about £60 to the price for 4 tyres.

Yes, I'd always recommend going for a 'supply and fit' service from somewhere with physical premises.

Any solution which involves two independent suppliers risks leaving each blaming the other if something goes wrong. You can generalise this into all kinds of situations.

I've twice had to make a warranty replacement claim on new tyres within a few weeks of fitting, and if they'd been fitted by a third party, that would have been an absolute nightmare.

Piece together the best online quote you can, then phone around or (better) call in on your local independent tyre shop - you'll generally find someone who'll match or better it.

If you've got a 500 and have the means to take the wheels separately, consider doing this - more than one person here has posted about tyre fitters causing sill damage through improper jacking. Otherwise, take photos of the sills just before dropping the car off.

Last edited:
Back