Technical Tyre pressure sensors

Currently reading:
Technical Tyre pressure sensors

Edgie70

Hi all , our 2019 fiat 500 has the tpms , I did the tyre pressures as per the owners manual and reset the warning two weeks ago , the warning has come on again , I'm wondering if the fact that the car had been driven for 6 hours ( mobile carer ) then I did the pressures that it might have an effect somehow because the Tyres were warm ??? Should I do the pressures when the tyres are cold and reset them when cold ???
Also I presume the tpms uses Bluetooth or similar ?? Thanks

Check you really dont have a puncture. The system relies on ECU detecting differrent rates of wheel rotation not via a pressure reading device. Check when cold is best.
I find the system does not trigger a warning until the tyre is virtually flat, 4-6psi. Even at this pressure its not always clear by just looking how flat the tyre is. Never drive on a flat tyre, even a few feet will be enough to wreck the tyre.

Check you really dont have a puncture. The system relies on ECU detecting differrent rates of wheel rotation not via a pressure reading device. Check when cold is best.
I find the system does not trigger a warning until the tyre is virtually flat, 4-6psi. Even at this pressure its not always clear by just looking how flat the tyre is. Never drive on a flat tyre, even a few feet will be enough to wreck the tyre.
The tyre looks like it should be , definitely not flat or anywhere near flat

The tyre looks like it should be , definitely not flat or anywhere near flat
The system works through ABS sensors detecting wheels speeds. Could be a poor connection at a sensor. But I would expect ABS light to trigger if so. It may just need a another reset. Also try disconnecting t ebattery for half an hour then reset after reconnecting. You shold have a quick release lever on the negative wire. Do also check the tyres are the same sizes and that you have not had one swapped by some yobbo.

Others may disagree but to me this is just another example of tec for the sake of it!! just causing undue worry about a subject most of us are perfectly able to be checking without electronic equipment throwing random panic messages at us!

Thanks for all your replies , I washed the 500 today and checked the pressures, the o/s/r tyre was very low on pressure so as I blew it up I noticed bubbles coming from an area where the tyre meets the rim !! Obviously it's leaking air from there , the car is 4 years old so I'm presuming it's not a corroded wheel ( fingers crossed ) I'm hoping it may need a tyre , I'm thinking the rear tyres are original from new, both same make , the cars only done 15,000 miles and the wheel has zero damage on it .

Others may disagree but to me this is just another example of tec for the sake of it!! just causing undue worry about a subject most of us are perfectly able to be checking without electronic equipment throwing random panic messages at us!

You and half the forum think this

I was leaving work the other day, and noticed the car next to me had a VERY soft rear tyre

I wheeled out some air

Took it from 8 psi to 35

Went and told the owner..
. "I have reinflated it to get you home tonight, but we aware"

They replied..
"Oh OK, there was some warning this morning as I started up at home"

It now has a new tyre - as it has probably run soft before

Thanks for all your replies , I washed the 500 today and checked the pressures, the o/s/r tyre was very low on pressure so as I blew it up I noticed bubbles coming from an area where the tyre meets the rim !! Obviously it's leaking air from there , the car is 4 years old so I'm presuming it's not a corroded wheel ( fingers crossed ) I'm hoping it may need a tyre , I'm thinking the rear tyres are original from new, both same make , the cars only done 15,000 miles and the wheel has zero damage on it .

Could be corrosion.. Or just a poorly seated tyre

Most places can reseat and balance for @£10

CHECK THE Tread.... at 4 years and 15 k it might be "like new", In which case put it on the front where it will wear out in a year or so's time

If it's badly worn.. Save the £10, and put it towards new tyres

I use Adsa tyres, good prices and options of tyre Fitters in my area

Got a pair booked for my 500 on 7th Feb 🙂

Could be corrosion.. Or just a poorly seated tyre

Most places can reseat and balance for @£10

CHECK THE Tread.... at 4 years and 15 k it might be "like new", In which case put it on the front where it will wear out in a year or so's time

If it's badly worn.. Save the £10, and put it towards new tyres

I use Adsa tyres, good prices and options of tyre Fitters in my area

Got a pair booked for my 500 on 7th Feb 🙂
Thanks , I presume you mean Asda tyres ?

You and half the forum think this

I was leaving work the other day, and noticed the car next to me had a VERY soft rear tyre

I wheeled out some air

Took it from 8 psi to 35

Went and told the owner..
. "I have reinflated it to get you home tonight, but we aware"

They replied..
"Oh OK, there was some warning this morning as I started up at home"

It now has a new tyre - as it has probably run soft before
not as soft as the driver!

Back