General Wet floor and wet behind the dash

Currently reading:
General Wet floor and wet behind the dash

There appears to be some wet/rusty metal behind my dash and also the front footwells are wet. I have replaced the insulation and it’s definitely still leaking somewhere. It has had a replacement windscreen which concerns me a little.

What concerns me more is I’m thinking that I’m going to have to remove the dash to pinpoint the leak. I’ve cleaned the scuttle etc and checked the rear washer pipe and even the ac drain.

Does anyone have any ideas or know how hard it is to remove the dash?

Any thoughts typecastboy ?

Check the drains below the windsreen wipers. They are under the bonnetat the back. They are favourite for blocking with dirt. The beam behind the rear bumper can also leak in too.

Check the drains below the windsreen wipers. They are under the bonnetat the back. They are favourite for blocking with dirt. The beam behind the rear bumper can also leak in too.

I have cleaned the scuttle drains. I’m not sure about the rear bumper beam as it’s primarily the front which is wet. I assume the rear footwells to be wetter?

Were the scuttle drains blocked? Does it have a sun roof?

You'd think the rears would be wetter but it seems to pool in the front. How old is the car?

It’s a 2010 however my older 2008 has never had ingress problems. They were blocked but there wasn’t really any water backed up in there.

Have you checked that the squirter pipes are pushed into the nozzles under the scuttle panel and that the scuttle clips are under the lip below the windscreen and not between the lip and the screen?

Apart from a leak in those or the heater leaking somehow I can’t think how else it could get in. Door seal maybe? Is there no localised area?

Have you checked that the squirter pipes are pushed into the nozzles under the scuttle panel and that the scuttle clips are under the lip below the windscreen and not between the lip and the screen?

Apart from a leak in those or the heater leaking somehow I can’t think how else it could get in. Door seal maybe? Is there no localised area?

The pipes are all on under there. The dashboard behind is rusty and I believe the moisture is actually what caused the previous radio to fail

I’m wondering if there is water in the heater box or something. It’s definitely not coolant and it’s not screenwash. It’s odourless and clear. I can only assume it’s water from outside of the car.

I’m wondering if there is water in the heater box or something. It’s definitely not coolant and it’s not screenwash. It’s odourless and clear. I can only assume it’s water from outside of the car.

If you've got A/C, then condensed water can find its way into the cabin from the heater box area if the A/C drains are blocked or detached. That will be odourless and clear as essentially it's distilled water. If this is the cause, it will only leak when the A/C is running, or has recently been running, which may help you to pinpoint the cause.

Last edited:
If you've got A/C, then condensed water can find its way into the cabin from the heater box area if the A/C drains are blocked or detached. That will be odourless and clear as essentially it's distilled water. If this is the cause, it will only leak when the A/C is running, or has recently been running, which may help you to pinpoint the cause.

That was one of the first things I did unfortunately no blockage. I was hoping it would be that simple.

I’m not losing any coolant and the insulation was saturated not any redness to it or smell. Feels like and looks like water.

It’s not the original fiat windscreen indicating a previous replacement. I’m dubious about the quality of the install to be honest. Not really sure what to do if it is a shoddy replacement job.

Fair enough, might need to pay a mobile windscreen fitter to remove and refit it?

Have you seen my old post about this water leak I had similar to yours in my 2010 500? - I mentioned it recently in a discussion about condensation.
https://www.fiatforum.com/500/308975-water-leak-into-footwell-source-found.html?308975=#post3091329

-Alex

There appears to be some wet/rusty metal behind my dash and also the front footwells are wet. I have replaced the insulation and it’s definitely still leaking somewhere. It has had a replacement windscreen which concerns me a little.

What concerns me more is I’m thinking that I’m going to have to remove the dash to pinpoint the leak. I’ve cleaned the scuttle etc and checked the rear washer pipe and even the ac drain.

Does anyone have any ideas or know how hard it is to remove the dash?

Any thoughts typecastboy ?

I’ve done it about 5 or 6 times now. It was daunting the first couple of times but it’s easy now. It took me about 4 hours to get the old one out and about 3 to put the new one in. If you want to tackle it, let me know and I’ll try to explain.

I’ll do a video next time I do one.

I’ve done it about 5 or 6 times now. It was daunting the first couple of times but it’s easy now. It took me about 4 hours to get the old one out and about 3 to put the new one in. If you want to tackle it, let me know and I’ll try to explain.

I’ll do a video next time I do one.

I’m going to try the windscreen route first but if not I think it’s gonna have to be the dash. Don’t really want to but it will be a must at that point.

Would appreciate your help if it gets that far.

I’m guessing this post is about a 500? While in a dealer we used to see lots of them with wet footwells and they also suffer from poor sealing on the floors which means any amount of water sprayed over the car does nothing. When it comes in through the floors it’s after driving in the rain. They can be a real headache to fix. If it’s not the screen remove the seats and carpet and spray all of the outside and underside with water. I sometimes poured water in the footwells and then checked seams underneath for missed/faulty sealant

Back