Technical Water Hose _ Bodge?

Currently reading:
Technical Water Hose _ Bodge?

Re: Big Problems - Mk2 Punto - No clue whats wrong

This is sounding like its going to be a b*tch of a job! Plus I don't know what's even wrong with it!! the knocking/tapping sound is the worrying part!! I hope the mechanic can fix it.

For the kit I'm looking around £50'ish, Bolts £10'ish
http://www.shop4parts.co.uk/index.cfm?action=catalogue.list

Hoping my mechanic can get quite a few parts at trade price for me.

Been driving my Brothers Fiat Bravo 1.2 16v today, feels MUCH FASTER than my punto, and hugs the road alot nicer!! was nice driving a car with a bl00dy rev counter (not important, but still nice to have one)

Cool.

Cheers to everyone for the advice/info.

Will let evryone know what the hell is wrong with my car in about a week :(

*Quick Update*

Mechanic looked at the car and said (firstly) it has a bad misfire and was only fireing on one plug, so he changed the plugs, which makes it run on two but not all of them?

He said Punto's do have ECU problems & Coil Pack problems and Injector problems.

He will let me know when he finds out more.

Seen these on eBay? haven't checked the Numbers to see if they match, but as a rough price does £175 seem resonable (inc coils)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Fiat-Punto-1-2-2000-on-ECU-59F-M3-Coils_W0QQitemZ380051733650QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item380051733650&_trkparms=72%3A988%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1308

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.

*Quick Update*

Mechanic looked at the car and said (firstly) it has a bad misfire and was only fireing on one plug, so he changed the plugs, which makes it run on two but not all of them?

He said Punto's do have ECU problems & Coil Pack problems and Injector problems.

He will let me know when he finds out more.

Seen these on eBay? haven't checked the Numbers to see if they match, but as a rough price does £175 seem resonable (inc coils)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Fiat-Punto-1-2-2000-on-ECU-59F-M3-Coils_W0QQitemZ380051733650QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item380051733650&_trkparms=72%3A988%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1308

Price is alrite.

The 8v's do have problems in that if the coil pack fails it will normally spike the ECU and fry it. If your car is only firing on 2 and the sparks and leads are OK the coilpack is more than likely gone. You might be lucky and just need to replace it, but it's more plausable that the ECU has gone too - only one way to check.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.

'only one way to check' - YEP!! Get a trained mechanic to look at it :) I love cars, but honestly have no idea a mechanics. If i'm replacing, upgrading, or modifing a part i'm happy to give it a go. But trying to fix a problem that i have no idea where to begin, leave it to the professionals.

If the coils and the ecu are fried could anything else have been affected also??

Would a possibly damaged 'water pump' the 'ecu' and 'a split water hose' have anything in common?

'only one way to check' - YEP!! Get a trained mechanic to look at it :) .

If the coils and the ecu are fried could anything else have been affected also??

Would a possibly damaged 'water pump' the 'ecu' and 'a split water hose' have anything in common?

No! Replace the coilpack first, if it's still firing on 2 replace the ECU. Remember - replace the cheapest parts first! Nothing else should be effected.

Damaged pump will lead to air in the system and overheating. Split hose will lead to coolant loss and overheating - nothing to do with the ignition system.

***UPDATE***

The mechanic has looked at it!

We belive the water pump did pack up which caused the head gasket to go (a big bit had burnt away!)

This was causing the car to run on one cylinder due to no pressure.

BUT ITS ALL FIXED NOW!!!!! :)

Head gasket has been replaced, cam belt & tensioners, water pump, thermostat, FULL sevice & labour for £335!!!! :)

Thought that was a wicked price!!!!

Back