virus and spy-ware removal

Currently reading:
virus and spy-ware removal

Hi. I have just had my daughter's laptop "tuned up" whatever that means by PC World, under a service agreement, but the report has come back that it has 2 viruses that need removing, and of course they wanted me to buy a program to do it. The laptop is only used as a spare nowadays, and my previous experiences with Norton have not been great. I think I should do something about it. Can anybody recommend what is best to do? I don't want to spend a fortune on it though. Any help gratefully received :).

Thanks Stu. I am always nervous of these things ever since I down-loaded a free scanner that I think was worse than the viruses it was supposed to be looking for! It's hard to know what to trust, so thanks for your suggestions.

I've used Microsoft security essentials since the day it was launched, it doesn't kill PC performance like Norton nor spam you with messages every other day like McAfee.

my argument is why pay for this when Microsoft provide a perfectly good antivirus program which intergrates well with windows.

I've not had any problems with viruses which MSE hasn't picked up and stopped instantly and i've not had any problems at all for 2-3 years which is more than i can say about when i used mcafee or norton

I've used Microsoft security essentials since the day it was launched, it doesn't kill PC performance like Norton nor spam you with messages every other day like McAfee.

my argument is why pay for this when Microsoft provide a perfectly good antivirus program which intergrates well with windows.

I've not had any problems with viruses which MSE hasn't picked up and stopped instantly and i've not had any problems at all for 2-3 years which is more than i can say about when i used mcafee or norton

Same here, it's perfect for my uses, and most of my customers uses. :)

Dom

For repairs if it broke, but also an annual "health check". As it was for my daughter I thought it seemed like a good idea, but of course the matchs tells me that I should have just put the money in a biscuit tin and I could have bought a new one by now!

Well I've installed the Microsoft S E and done a quick scan and it's found nothing wrong so far, so I've just started a full check. Let's ee if it finds anything wrong. I will keep you informed. The saga of the Toshiba laptop!

if you had stuck the 8.99 into savings instead you would have enough for a new laptop now. or 2 of these

new time you buy one forget about extended warranty crap, a post on here could probably help you fix it for free, or just take it to a good small independent shop.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back