Technical Vehicle Remapping Survey

Currently reading:
Technical Vehicle Remapping Survey

Its all to do with EU anti-tampering laws. The "government" have been worked on by the motor manufacturers and taken it hook line and sinker.

e.g. In Italy any car older than Euro 2 emissions is now illegal to use on the road. Even if it has a new engine or the old one is cleaner than Euro 2 its still illegal. Perfectly good clean cars got scrapped, but it boosts new car sales so that's ok then. :(

My Bro's Uno was so clean the "mot" tester bloke had to put his gas probe into his own car because the Uno was so clean he could not get a reading but it wasnt Euro 2 so had to be scrapped.

Last edited:
As far as I know, Rally cars are heavily modified and would fail Mot anyway due to catless exhausts and all that jazz.
Any other random car with a rollcage isn't a rally car.

Rallycars have secure seats that are not adjustable, no airbags fitter, MSA and FIA regs state that cats must still be fitted to cars (be it rally or track cars if built after 92) i had a roll cage in my road going punto when i had that, it wasnt a rally car BUT i done road rallys in it,

so from Jan 1st all rally cars in the UK then become illegal? HMMMMMM

looks like my stilo will be illegal as i've fitted a sump guard to is

- looks like my stilo will be illegal as i've fitted a sump guard to it.

That's just how stupid these rules are. They claim to be about safety but in reality its to force owners to use the main dealers for everything.

My bike has:
  • Heated hand grips - non standard safety aid not offered by Yamaha.
  • Rear carry rack not offered by Yamaha but makes the bike useful rather than just a toy.
  • Crash bungs on the frame to protect it if it falls off the stand. Not offered by Yamaha so they can sell more bodywork.
  • Non standard tyres because the originals are no longer made and were grip-free anyway.
  • Non standard screen because the yamaha screen is noisy and causes turbulence.
  • LED daylights to make me be seen better in traffic.
  • Non standard exhaust. legal for noise and about 25% of yamahe's spares price
  • Anti vibe handlebar risers because the standard one size fits all wont fit me.
Under the new EU rules the bike is dangerously modified. Go figure. :(

I actually love my bike, but like all bikes the options are limited and the adjustments you can make to fit your body shape are pretty much non existent.

Drivers seat not adjustable forwards and backwards and locking in the chosen position will fail.

So that means cars who had upgrades through a dealer would fail on bucket seats.

Back