Technical Various problems with my 2002 HGT

Currently reading:
Technical Various problems with my 2002 HGT

JoeF

Hi all - only discovered this forum today - the joys of google.

I have a couple of questions...

My Punto HGT was purchased new in 2002.

1) My Punto HGT sounds like a Diesel when it starts up, and occasionally it will stall at very low speeds, when my foot is taken off the accelerator. The dealer mentioned last year that it may be the variator - is this an expensive job to fix? Can I do it myself?

2) Last week the air conditioning packed up! The light stays on, but it's like the condenser is not working - it doesn't get cold. Again, is this an expensive job to fix?

3) The passenger side main headlamp has failed. This is the second time it has failed -the drivers side is on it's original bulb. Should I ask the dealership to check the wiring, or just shell out for another new bulb

4) The windscreen wipers are crap! And the rear wiper has been broken off (a friendly "youth type" no doubt. Is the general feeling to just get the Fiat ones, or are there any other types recommended for the Punto?

5) SatNav CD does not work anymore - it seems to be scratched to hell. Can I get cheap discs anywhere? I have tried eBay etc.

I love the HGT (used to have a Sporting). Great fun to drive, especially around 4000 revs :D

Thanks in advance all (y)

The noise you describe does sound like the timing variator failing, the stalling at low speeds when cold is also a common problem, unfortunately there are many causes of this, so it could mean a trip to the dealer. The aircon could have a broken pipe, look at the bulk head inside the engine bay and follow the pipes around and look for either oil or yellow dye, (most dealers if they have worked on the aircon system fit a dye to help in future diagnosis for leaks). Headlights will not be effected by wiring faults, there is a mod for repeated blowing of bulbs for some cars but 2 in 3 years doesnt seem excessive to be honest.

Hi Dave,

I believe the car has a 3 year warranty - 1 year manufacturers + 2 year delears, so it should be covered at least until the end of June 05. I am 90% sure that the dealer mentioned it to me last year that the variator "normally needs replacing after 20k" when I complained about the noise at the last service. I will give them a call to suss them out.

Thanks for the reponse!

Good luck with the variator, it makes a difference when fixed. Saying that, I got mine done last October and it's started making a funny noise again..... :mad:

I suppose the dealer will have to have a look at the air-con, it might be fixable under warranty or it might need re-gassing if there has been a leak - it won't get cold then, either. My windscreen wipers are fairly hopeless too, but a new set of wiper blades helped a little. I have to get round to sorting the 'grease on the contacts' problem but I'm too lazy ;)

But saying that, I wouldn't swap the HGT (y)

the aircon is probably down to the gas needing recharging as if you don't use the system for a while the joints dry out and leak the gas.

the variator has been covered above this can be lessened by making sure the oil is always topped up.

the lamp issue is a mystery it may be down to poor sealing on the light backs

the wipers are down to the blade you use tbh

perhaps they are merely faulty items

both punto's i've had have been fine as have the 4 or 5 most local punto mk2 members to the best of my knowledge

perhaps its not so common?

dave your right the linkage is crap,12 months old the linkage fell off,ive put a tie rap on to hold both arms together,18 months and still going strong.my brother is a mechanic and has 4 cars to fix.the plastic cup is to soft,and if the cup was at the bottom and the ball at the top it would stay in place.

Last edited:
escotia said:
dave your right the linkage is crap,12 months old the linkage fell off,ive put a tie rap on to hold both arms together,18 months and still going strong.my brother is a mechanic and has 4 cars to fix.the plastic cup is to soft,and if the cup was at the bottom and the ball at the bottom it would stay in place.
did you see the upgraded kit that these guys made? https://www.fiatforum.com/showpost.p...399&postcount=2
they do it cheeper to fiatforum members :)

Back