Technical Van won't start with rapid clicking sound

Currently reading:
Technical Van won't start with rapid clicking sound

I'll try that next, it would make sense for it to be that, its now running but usually starts first time without being rough in summer straight away accelerator works. Is the temperature sensor a replaceable part?
Basically with my Sedici once it’s been started it’s fine, it’s just getting it started when cold! So far I’ve changed all 4 glow plugs and the glow plug relay with no noticeable difference. It’s as if the glow plugs don’t stay on for long enough hence if temp sensor unplugged it leaves the light on for 8 seconds or so and pretty much fires straight up. When you do some trawling there’s a lot of Alfa 1.9 owners that have overcome the same problem by replacing the starter motor. That’s currently where I’m at, just trying to find the time at the moment to fit a used starter I’ve bought to see if it helps. Not really heard another 1.9 start before so nothing to compare mine to as regards it being lazy trying to start

Basically with my Sedici once it’s been started it’s fine, it’s just getting it started when cold! So far I’ve changed all 4 glow plugs and the glow plug relay with no noticeable difference. It’s as if the glow plugs don’t stay on for long enough hence if temp sensor unplugged it leaves the light on for 8 seconds or so and pretty much fires straight up. When you do some trawling there’s a lot of Alfa 1.9 owners that have overcome the same problem by replacing the starter motor. That’s currently where I’m at, just trying to find the time at the moment to fit a used starter I’ve bought to see if it helps. Not really heard another 1.9 start before so nothing to compare mine to as regards it being lazy trying to start

Fundamentals of a Common Rail diesel

Cranking speed = rail pressure

With low pressure the ECU could even block injection

Have you got any rail pressures from the ECU? They need to be HUGE..

So reading via the OBD Is far safer than risking diesel injected into you 😉

Fundamentals of a Common Rail diesel

Cranking speed = rail pressure

With low pressure the ECU could even block injection

Have you got any rail pressures from the ECU? They need to be HUGE..

So reading via the OBD Is far safer than risking diesel injected into you 😉
Yes makes total sense. If the new starter makes no difference then checking rail pressure when cranking will be the next step. All i can think of is that it should only need a small amount of heat hence the glow plug light only staying on for 3 or so seconds and by making it heat for longer by disconnecting the sensor is compensating for a weak starter. I can hope anyway! 🤣

So your plugs do glow..?

I've had diesel Fiat's since 95

Plugs are fussy.. Removed as a set.. Very few fail to glow cherry when tested across the battery

But new plugs help starting.. So poor connections.. Drops in power must play a part

As I said earlier I had a blown 50A maxi fuse stopping power on a 1.3.so always check the plugs feeds are seeing power

4 new bosch glow plugs. With the temp sensor disconnected the light stays on for 8 seconds or so and it pretty much fires straight up whereas without I can heat it 3 or 4 times and if it does decide to catch, it starts in a ploom of grey smelly smoke hence why I thought the glow plug relay might not be doing it’s job. I’ll swap the starter and take it from there. Luckily it’s not my main car so it’s just finding the time to tinker with it

4 new bosch glow plugs. With the temp sensor disconnected the light stays on for 8 seconds or so and it pretty much fires straight up whereas without I can heat it 3 or 4 times and if it does decide to catch, it starts in a ploom of grey smelly smoke hence why I thought the glow plug relay might not be doing it’s job. I’ll swap the starter and take it from there. Luckily it’s not my main car so it’s just finding the time to tinker with it

Unburnt fuel... Obviously injecting then 😉

Yes seems to be. I know why it was cheap now, obviously somebody else had tried the obvious and got p’d off with it. I just got told it didn’t like starting from cold so presumed it was glow plugs. I’m sure I’ll get to the bottom of it eventually…….if not I’ll just sell it on again!

What does the glow plug light do..?

On for 10 seconds when cold.. And only 2 or 3 when warm?
The light indicates preheating the plugs. So obviously ambient temperature will affect it as well as regular start intervals.

Back