Technical Valve clearances and the like (again probably)

Currently reading:
Technical Valve clearances and the like (again probably)

Tinyotim

Trying to set valve clearances, how do I identify which is exhaust and which is inlet?
Thanks

Exhaust valves are the outermost two - adjacent to the exhaust ports. Intake valves are the innermost - adjacent to the intake port. #1 cylinder is the aft-most, #2 is forward.

Well if you think about it the inlet is served by a single carburettor positioned centrally on the cylinder head whilst there are two exhaust outlets located front and back of the head so the two inner valves are the inlet valves and the outer ones serve the exhaust. Sounds like you might be working without any sort of manual so another tip is think of the valves as numbered 1 to 4 from front to back. Then apply the rule of five. When rocker no 1 is fully depressed you adjust number 4, no 2 depressed adjust no 3 and so on.

Wow thanks for quick replies ,
I’m reading the manual as posted on this site but for some reason I couldn’t find the info.
Been a while since I’ve tinkered with air cooled ?

Well if you think about it the inlet is served by a single carburettor positioned centrally on the cylinder head whilst there are two exhaust outlets located front and back of the head so the two inner valves are the inlet valves and the outer ones serve the exhaust. Sounds like you might be working without any sort of manual so another tip is think of the valves as numbered 1 to 4 from front to back. Then apply the rule of five. When rocker no 1 is fully depressed you adjust number 4, no 2 depressed adjust no 3 and so on.

Jut a thought, front to back of the car or front to back as I look at the motor ?

Technically, the 'front' of the 500 engine is at the rear of the car---front being where the timing-chain cover is. Set the tappets COLD (8 thou IN and 10 thou OUT). Don't worry that you haven't tinkered with an air-cooled enginefor some time---the only difference between an air-cooled and a water-cooled engine is the cooling medium.

Back