VAIO with a HDD issue

Currently reading:
VAIO with a HDD issue

as the title. Started by throwing a 'cannot load profile... May be corrupt' error on login

Ive tried copying the files the owner doesnt want to loose and had a whole host of CRC errors. The drive is fragmented to the hilt so Ive been trying to get it vaguely defragged to see If it will help... As of yet no such luck...

Does anyone know of any FREE recovery tools for HDD errors of this nature or am i completely up poo creek with it? I can only suspect its suffered a head crash but i dont have much of a clue why Its happened If im honest

Run check disk, or similar to see if there are any corrupt sectors on the drive. If there are and your data was on it, then its more than likely its lost. However if its a directory problem then the data may still be recoverable. Plenty of freeware file recovery software out there. DOWNLOAD.COM usually has something good.

got HDAT running to read bad sectors currently ill attempt repair if/when it shows something. seems to be doing multiple reads of the disc in certain places which is slightly concerning. probably gonna DOS copy the documents folder over to the d: drive

might as well post this in here...

questions about XP...

i have a legit CoA on afore mentioned laptop, but the Windows XP identifier has rubbed off so i dont know if its pro or home and OEM, Retail or VLC, SP1/2/3

i have various legit XP iso builds available to me but obviously i cant install a disc if the CoA doesn't match...

is there anyway of finding out from the CoA what build its for?

any help warmly recieved because i now have a headache from scouring a shed load of websites to no avail

might as well post this in here...

questions about XP...

i have a legit CoA on afore mentioned laptop, but the Windows XP identifier has rubbed off so i dont know if its pro or home and OEM, Retail or VLC, SP1/2/3

i have various legit XP iso builds available to me but obviously i cant install a disc if the CoA doesn't match...

is there anyway of finding out from the CoA what build its for?

any help warmly recieved because i now have a headache from scouring a shed load of websites to no avail

What laptop model is it?

Can you read the 25 character license code? If so just download Home/Pro etc and give them a go.

Dom

xp 32bit there was at least 20 that i can think of each of which have to have the correct release of disc and corresponding CoA

Its a Sony VAIO PCG-TR1MP the CoA is a small rectangle plastic laminated sticker silver in colou

xp pro SP1 cheers Dom!

Yeah 41 by this list (probably more all the codes at the end are the disc IDs and afaik they all have to have matching 25 char. CoA codes)
XP Home and Professional Combo = WXPHFPP_EN
XP Home Retail = WXHFPP_EN
XP Home Retail with SP1 = XRMHFPP_EN
XP Home Retail with SP1a = X1AHFPP_EN
XP Home Retail with SP2 = VRMHFPP_EN
XP Home Upgrade = WXHCCP_EN
XP Home Upgrade with SP1 = XRMHCCP_EN
XP Home Upgrade with SP1a = X1AHCCP_EN
XP Home Upgrade with SP2 = VRMHCCP_EN
XP Home OEM = WXHOEM_EN
XP Home OEM with SP1 = XRMHOEM_EN
XP Home OEM with SP1a = X1AHOEM_EN
XP Home OEM with SP2 = VRMHOEM_EN
XP Home Volume = WXHVOL_EN
XP Home Volume with SP1 = XRMHVOL_EN
XP Home Volume with SP1a = X1AHVOL_EN
XP Home Volume with SP2 = VRMHVOL_EN
XP Professional Retail = WXPFPP_EN
XP Professional Retail with SP1 = XRMPFPP_EN
XP Professional Retail with SP1a = X1APFPP_EN
XP Professional Retail with SP2 = VRMPFPP_EN
XP Professional Upgrade = WXPCCP_EN
XP Professional Upgrade with SP1 = XRMPCCP_EN
XP Professional Upgrade with SP1a = X1APCCP_EN
XP Professional Upgrade with SP2 = VRMPCCP_EN
XP Professional OEM = WXPOEM_EN
XP Professional OEM with SP1 = XRMPOEM_EN
XP Professional OEM with SP1a = X1APOEM_EN
XP Professional OEM with SP2 = VRMPOEM_EN
XP Professional Volume = WXPVOL_EN
XP Professional Volume with SP1 = XRMPVOL_EN
XP Professional Volume with SP1a = X1APVOL_EN
XP Professional Volume with SP2 = VRMPVOL_EN
XP Professional Tablet PC with SP1 Disc1 = XRMPFPP_EN
XP Professional Tablet PC with SP1a Disc1 = X1APFPP_EN
XP Professional Tablet PC with SP2 Disc1 = VRMPFPP_EN
XP Professional MSDN = WXPFPP_EN
XP Professional MSDN with SP1 = XRMPFPP_EN
XP Professional MSDN with SP1a = X1APFPP_EN
XP Professional MSDN with SP2 = VRMPFPP_EN
XP Professional Evaluation = WXPEVL_EN
xp home/pro OEM/retail/VLC SP1/1a/2/3 there was also student and media editions probably others each with 32 and 64 bit variants all different distribution runs with corresponding CoAs Thats before You even start with different special builds like from dell etc... none of them cross compatible with others ie i Will have to find xp pro sp1 install disk to correspond with the CoA...

I can pretty safely say Its not gonna be a VLC so that leaves the question OEM or Retail... Im guessin it Will be OEM due to the laminated sticker but funk knows now i think Ive confused myself and i Cant see the forest for the trees :(

Last edited:
xp pro SP1 cheers Dom!

Yeah 41 by this list (probably more all the codes at the end are the disc IDs and afaik they all have to have matching 25 char. CoA codes)
XP Home and Professional Combo = WXPHFPP_EN
XP Home Retail = WXHFPP_EN
XP Home Retail with SP1 = XRMHFPP_EN
XP Home Retail with SP1a = X1AHFPP_EN
XP Home Retail with SP2 = VRMHFPP_EN
XP Home Upgrade = WXHCCP_EN
XP Home Upgrade with SP1 = XRMHCCP_EN
XP Home Upgrade with SP1a = X1AHCCP_EN
XP Home Upgrade with SP2 = VRMHCCP_EN
XP Home OEM = WXHOEM_EN
XP Home OEM with SP1 = XRMHOEM_EN
XP Home OEM with SP1a = X1AHOEM_EN
XP Home OEM with SP2 = VRMHOEM_EN
XP Home Volume = WXHVOL_EN
XP Home Volume with SP1 = XRMHVOL_EN
XP Home Volume with SP1a = X1AHVOL_EN
XP Home Volume with SP2 = VRMHVOL_EN
XP Professional Retail = WXPFPP_EN
XP Professional Retail with SP1 = XRMPFPP_EN
XP Professional Retail with SP1a = X1APFPP_EN
XP Professional Retail with SP2 = VRMPFPP_EN
XP Professional Upgrade = WXPCCP_EN
XP Professional Upgrade with SP1 = XRMPCCP_EN
XP Professional Upgrade with SP1a = X1APCCP_EN
XP Professional Upgrade with SP2 = VRMPCCP_EN
XP Professional OEM = WXPOEM_EN
XP Professional OEM with SP1 = XRMPOEM_EN
XP Professional OEM with SP1a = X1APOEM_EN
XP Professional OEM with SP2 = VRMPOEM_EN
XP Professional Volume = WXPVOL_EN
XP Professional Volume with SP1 = XRMPVOL_EN
XP Professional Volume with SP1a = X1APVOL_EN
XP Professional Volume with SP2 = VRMPVOL_EN
XP Professional Tablet PC with SP1 Disc1 = XRMPFPP_EN
XP Professional Tablet PC with SP1a Disc1 = X1APFPP_EN
XP Professional Tablet PC with SP2 Disc1 = VRMPFPP_EN
XP Professional MSDN = WXPFPP_EN
XP Professional MSDN with SP1 = XRMPFPP_EN
XP Professional MSDN with SP1a = X1APFPP_EN
XP Professional MSDN with SP2 = VRMPFPP_EN
XP Professional Evaluation = WXPEVL_EN
xp home/pro OEM/retail/VLC SP1/1a/2/3 there was also student and media editions probably others each with 32 and 64 bit variants all different distribution runs with corresponding CoAs Thats before You even start with different special builds like from dell etc... none of them cross compatible with others ie i Will have to find xp pro sp1 install disk to correspond with the CoA...

I can pretty safely say Its not gonna be a VLC so that leaves the question OEM or Retail... Im guessin it Will be OEM due to the laminated sticker but funk knows now i think Ive confused myself and i Cant see the forest for the trees :(

Did XP Pro SP1 work then?:)

That's what the laptop came shipped with so I would assume it was an OEM license.

Dom

dont know yet waiting for the HDD to arrive from 'fleabay'.
managed to find myself a whole host of different XP ISOs so ill try it later on tonight with the goosed HDD and see how i get on thanks for your help dom i couldnt find what it was shipped with for the life of me! but as i said forest and trees and all that

well for some unknown reason the last time i tried the recovery dic it didnt act like a bootable disk... this time it did so i might be onto a winner!

thanks for the fresh eyes dom!

Back