Urgent advice please

Currently reading:
Urgent advice please

About 6 months ago my son started to get penalty notices and unpaid parking ticket letters in the post for places that he has never been.

The pictures attached showed a Vauxhall Astra, which he has got, and they had his registration number but the car itself was clearly not his car.

The one in the pictures has an aftermarket grill, different wheels, and his car has tints - this one does not. There also seems to be some kind of writing on the number plate that is different to his car.

We reported it to the police and got a crime number.

We replied to all these notices and they all asked for pictures of his car which we provided. They all cancelled the notices, all except for Southwark Council.

While I was at work today the bailiffs came. They wanted to clamp the car and my son told them all about the history and what had happened, the woman was not interested, did not believe him and has left a notice to say she is coming back to tomorrow after announcing that she needed to get her kid from school so had to go.

The company is Newlyn.

We dont have a clue what to do now. Any advice would be most welcome.

Go to citizens advice. Remove the car so they can't clamp/remove it. Challenge via county court order against Newlyn and Southwark council.

Got you some basic stuff - it's by no means exhaustive, but it'll be pretty much the same as what Citizens Advice will give you I expect.

I'd have a go at contacting the central office rather than going by that bailiff - might have more success that way. Also contact Southwark Council asap and find out what they can do to stop action, they might be able to recall the debt so you can dispute it - also how it ended up getting to bailiffs. Ultimately the bailiffs don't care - they've been given a debt, they'll chase it normally.

This page (https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/d...g-bailiff-action/disputing-the-debt-bailiffs/) has some information

Citizen's Advice page says;
If you dispute the amount of the debt you owe, you should:

- contact your creditor and ask them to withdraw the bailiff instruction because you want to dispute the debt. If they refuse, you could apply to the court to stop bailiffs from making further visits by getting their authorisation withdrawn
- don't let the bailiff into your home. Tell them you dispute the debt and are taking steps to resolve this with your creditor
- write to the creditor to present your case. If they don't agree, you may need to get advice about disputing the debt.

There's some more stuff on Stopping Bailiff Action: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/d...-action/stopping-bailiff-action-your-options/.

Really applying to a court should be the last resort 'cause expenses. Citizen's Advice can offer some guidance - you may need to see if you can blag an emergency appointment or something, because they'll be able to offer limited support in the first instance. If you can't make it into a bureau, you should be able to get some guidance from the adviceline service - hopefully you'll speak to someone useful.

Should you end up applying to court, there's some stuff here; https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/d...ion/applying-to-court-to-stop-bailiff-action/. But seriously, seek advice if possible before doing this.

Also if you're expecting bailiffs, have a look through this section of the site. It's got what to expect, what to do beforehand. Might be worth a read.
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/d...ailiff-is-due-to-visit-what-to-do-on-the-day/

Have you let them into the house yet?

Good luck with it, keep us posted.

Last edited:
Modette - long time no talk! :wave:

First things first, get the car in someones garage away from the house. If they don't know where it is they can't take it. - then dispute the fine.

An easy was for the future if his car has been cloned, is buy the cheapest private plate available.

Thanks everyone. We both emailed the bailiff, me to tell them they have no right trespassing on my property as its not my issue and I don't owe them anything. I saw the footage on my CCTV and the woman was strutting around banging doors and windows and she also parked her car right across the entrance to my cul de sac blocking my neighbours access. I have read up on their code of conduct and data protection rules and it was blatantly obvious to every neighbour that was around that she was a bailiff , she was standing in the middle of the road on her phone telling whoever she was talking to that she was going to 'boot it' (clamp the car). I made a complaint about her. My son then emailed them and gave them the crime reference number. They have suspended action while they investigate. Meanwhile the car is at an undisclosed location;).

Last edited:
Hi Dom, my (other) son, the one you met at the Grange in Northampton, got a company car so I took his Bravo off his hands which is why I am back. I am an expert at buying lemons, especially the Stilo kind lol, but I know the history of this car so its a safer bet than Autotrader for me. I also gained a Rockford Fosgate sub half the size of the boot and tinted windows:) So I am quite happy.

Everything is pretty well covered here but just out of interest if anyone tries to clamp a vehicle politely request you see their SIA Immobilisation of Vehicles License.

If they say they have a full license and show you a blue card with standard door supervisor (light orange band), CCTV (burgundy band), CVIT (cash in transit, purple band) close protection (dark orange) or guard license (light blue band) none of these cover clamping. Only people with a green band vehicle immobilisation license can fit clamps. Anyone trying to do so without one is breaking the law. It's a form of forced imprisonment and you should call the Police immediately. If they fail to show you an SIA license at all invite them to leave or you will have them arrested.

sia-licence-types.jpg

Hi Dom, my (other) son, the one you met at the Grange in Northampton, got a company car so I took his Bravo off his hands which is why I am back. I am an expert at buying lemons, especially the Stilo kind lol, but I know the history of this car so its a safer bet than Autotrader for me. I also gained a Rockford Fosgate sub half the size of the boot and tinted windows:) So I am quite happy.

Nice! I now have a Bravo, 2010, Red, 1.4 Tjet 150bhp - love it.

If you haven't been able to pay your debt or set up a payment arrangement and the bailiffs are coming to your home, you don't have to let them in. You can stop them from getting in and from taking your belongings by telling everyone in your home not to let them in.

If you haven't been able to pay your debt or set up a payment arrangement and the bailiffs are coming to your home, you don't have to let them in. You can stop them from getting in and from taking your belongings by telling everyone in your home not to let them in.

Saga was four and a half years ago. Probably sorted by now.

You are new to the forum. Go to Leisure Lounge and Newbie central, introduce yourself, and any Fiat you have, had, or are considering.

Last edited:
Back