Upgrading an old PC

Currently reading:
Upgrading an old PC

The types of socket are ZIF and LIF iirc, zero insertion force and limited insertion force.

ZIF is the arm kind and LIF is the cartridge or press in kind, take note of the little notch cut corner when replacing cpus.

Liam

1986Uno45S said:
Where do I get it from? Where do I put it (on top of the chip)? Does it go between the chip and heatsink?

If you buy a HeatSink it should come with it. If the Processor is new it might come with a Gue equvilant sticker that you put on top of the processor.

If not you can get it from PC world.

Smear some on top of the chip then put the Heat sink on, away you go :)

Trancendental said:
If you buy a HeatSink it should come with it. If the Processor is new it might come with a Gue equvilant sticker that you put on top of the processor.

If not you can get it from PC world.

Smear some on top of the chip then put the Heat sink on, away you go :)

Cheers Trans! (y)

The CPU is second hand so doesn't come with a heatsink. I'm hoping that I can transfer the heatsink over from my old CPU, so I'll check out PC World for some when then CPU arrives in the post.

Can't believe that I'm just about to move into year 2000 technology :p

UPDATE:

Somewhat of a delay in reporting this as I ended up in hospital with appendicitis last week... :cry:

Anyway, processor turned up. Only PC spares place near me was Maplins, so off I go there to get some heatsink paste. Bought some (the paste cost more than I paid for the processor :rolleyes: ), came home and pulled PC apart.

CPU did indeed just 'pop' out when the heatsink was removed and the arm was released. New one dropped into place, a bit of paste on top and then the heatsink clipped straight on.

Connected everything up, fired up computer and all went well. Ran the CPU identifying software that someone recommended and now I do indeed have a P3 700mhz 'Coppermine' processor instead of a piece of Celery! :D

Best of all, my MAME emulator runs properly again and I can play all my favourite retro arcade games (y) Including the ones that I couldn't play on my old PC because it was too slow (y) (y) (y) The computer also seems to be more stable, Firefox and Explorer run better and slightly faster and in general the whole system seems to be marginally faster.

So a P3 700mhz CPU is definitely a lot better than a Celeron 600mhz. :slayer:

Many thanks to Stuart Demon, Trans and Liam for all your help and advice. Cheers guys! :slayer:

Back