Frustrated old git

Currently reading:
Frustrated old git

If your planning on just using it for diagnostics in the garage etc. then try looking out for a Panasonic CF-H2 (NOT the H1 version). Runs Windows 7 and MES with ease. I have one I use for MES.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PANASONI...040533?hash=item4b626fc9d5:g:KbkAAOSwQydcrvxl

or one of the Panasonic Toughbook versions. VERY solid cases and tough as old boots. Just make sure it's one of the newer versions as many eBay sellers try to pass off the old stuff as good i.e. old core duo versions. The mk number indicates the version, higher mk model number = newer version. CF19 mk3 vs CF19 mk5 etc.

If unsure just ask, plenty of people on here to give advice.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Thanks for that lkc and thanks to everyone else for the advice - it helps me a lot as my lack of knowledge on these things leaves me feeling very unsure and vulnerable. Might try to talk him into a "special deal" on the windows 10 update. (especially as I'm quite into my win10 now)

Still trying to factor in the Scottish Italian Car Day lkc. My sister- who lives about 2 hours west of Boston Mass - is proposing to come over with her entire family (including children and grandchildren) They are proposing to take a house up somewhere around Loch Tay and we all (self and family and grandchildren also my brother) are to spend a long weekend with them. My sister is a disaster area when it comes to organizing things and always does things at the last possible moment then expects everybody else to make it happen! So who knows when they are coming but she says soon? Want to bet it'll be that weekend?

Best wishes all
Jock

If you want a machine to run MES, it has to be Windows.

But if you want a reliable laptop that just works, the Apple Macbooks take some beating. They always were expensive and brand new they are silly money. But you can get really good used machines for a lot less.

Sadly Macs wont work with MES but over the 7 years I've owned it my MacBook Pro 13" has cost nothing more than £50 to upgrade the memory to 16GB. I back it up to an USB disc, keep it charged and it just works. Original cost was £1000 so to date about £150 per year. None of the PCs (desktops and laptops, including Dells) ever came close to that. Two desktops were scrap after 30 months because the motherboards failed and nothing inside the case was transferable on the (then) current boards. The loss of important data at a deadline pushed me into getting something better built.

Mine is a 2012. This 2010 is not bad for general use and it has a superfast (and large) solid state disc. Battery costs about £50 and memory upgrade to 16GB about the same. Both can be fitted by anyone who can use a screwdriver. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-MacBook-Pro-13-2-4GHz-Core-2-Duo-8GB-RAM-512MB-SSD-boxed-needs-battery/233218893440?epid=4031181761&hash=item364cede680:g:r4sAAOSw6-Nc0EHP

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Thanks for that Dave. I still haven't taken the plunge on this as the HP works fine - it's just too big. I've looked at Macs a couple of times mainly because my son in law is really into everything Apple but I keep coming back to how to run my VCDS and MES programs. He recons you can run a "virtual" windows on the Mac and probably therefore run my programs that way? all too complicated for a simple old codger like me!

Thanks for that Dave. I still haven't taken the plunge on this as the HP works fine - it's just too big. I've looked at Macs a couple of times mainly because my son in law is really into everything Apple but I keep coming back to how to run my VCDS and MES programs. He recons you can run a "virtual" windows on the Mac and probably therefore run my programs that way? all too complicated for a simple old codger like me!

It's surprisingly simple to run a virtual is at least on windows
You just use a program called virtual box
Then you install windows like normal from within that program
It's like running a second computer inside a separate window

Never done it on a mac however so knowing apple it may be more complicated

On the Apple you need "Bootcamp", a registered version of Windows and lots of spare disc space. Then you can boot whichever OS you want.

A friend did this with a MacBook but said he hardly ever bothered with the Windows bootup. I never bothered, but to be fair I do not need to use any Windows only software.
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/dual-boot-windows-macos
My 2012 Macbook Pro has an excellent sleep function rarely needing a hard reboot. The hibernation (copying to disc on low battery) is very slow and the return is unstable so that forces a reboot.

Last edited:
Good morning fellow Fiat fans!

Just thought I'd "nudge" this thread to see if anyone would care to offer an opinion on refurb laptops?

Hi PAJ

I have a family with three lap tops 2 are HP refurbished and 1 was new. If you go for Grade A which I have there is no difference in the product at all. Grade A are probably just exchanged and are as new. The guarantee however is less usually 3 months Grades B and below I have not tried and wouldnt as it is a risk too far for me.

HP backup and service work has been easy and good and if you take the extended warranty you get a level of tech support thrown in. I did buy a refurbed HP that was not working as it should but it was refub=nded without a problem by the seller. Any how I wouldnt shy away too fsr from a refurb as you do save quite a lot of money if you shop around.

Good luck!!

Back