Upgrading an old PC

Currently reading:
Upgrading an old PC

Found a HP Pavillion 8770 in the cupboard under the stairs today while clearing it out.

Plugged it in just on the off chance......and it works!!

However it's running Windows ME with...wait for it..... a whole 64mb of RAM and a massive 20GB Hard disk :eek:

We could do another computer in the house and I would like to upgrade it to Vista or 7 with a lot more RAM and a bigger hard disk.

So what would I need to change to make it a half decent machine? And roughly how much would it cost?

Cheers

Last edited:
i would say the only things you should keep are the power supply (if its powerful enough wattage wise), case, cd/dvd drive and hard drive (but get a secondary one as well)

new motherboard (£30-200+ depending how much you want to spend)
new CPU (£40-100 again, depending how much you want to spend and what you will be using it for)
new RAM ( 2GB around £40)
new hard drive (80gb about £30-40)

you could build a half decent computer for around £200-300

make sure you get everything that is compatible with the motherboard (correct socket # processor, correct type of RAM and hard drive... probably IDE)

anything else you want to know or if you want me to give you links to things you would need for an upgraded computer, just let me know

i could be saying that and you know a fair bit about them :)

Last edited:
Last edited:
well if you was willing to use older programs such as word and possibly avoid the Internet you will be fine.
could just slam an ide drive in as well and a bit more ram, but you will be limited in functionality, with newer products
depends what you want to use it for

Back