Technical Update of 8 days ownership

Currently reading:
Technical Update of 8 days ownership

Ant1974

Established member
Just an update of the problems i have encountered in a weeks motoring with the new 16v sporting. Overall quite happy but the things i have noticed is

1) Brakes making grinding noise at slow speed (very loud)
2) ASR hillholder not available on LCD screen.
3) CD player freezing and have trouble ejecting.
4) Maybe this is normal but the engine sounds rough, few people thought it was a diesel and i have to agree.
5) Dont know if i should have a rear power socket in the boot as there is a hole in the trim with wires hanging out.
6) Bonnet out of alignment.

Your feedback is welcome:)

Just an update of the problems i have encountered in a weeks motoring with the new 16v sporting. Overall quite happy but the things i have noticed is

1) Brakes making grinding noise at slow speed (very loud)
2) ASR hillholder not available on LCD screen.
3) CD player freezing and have trouble ejecting.
4) Maybe this is normal but the engine sounds rough, few people thought it was a diesel and i have to agree.
5) Dont know if i should have a rear power socket in the boot as there is a hole in the trim with wires hanging out.
6) Bonnet out of alignment.

Your feedback is welcome:)

I think the brakes will get better with a few miles and once you have used them hard a few times but it will be always be there a little due to the design of them. The ASR hill holder im pretty sure is not supposed to display anything when it is in operation, The CD player sounds broken so have it replaced, as regards the boot outlet, it is not supposed to have one however as with many things the wiring may already be there should you want one, if you dont, just shove it back through the hole.

Yes, hillholder is not displayed on anything, you just feel it when letting brakes off on an incline.

Not sure whether you are supposed to have boot power outlet or not, I have one in my 1.9 eleganza.

Sorry should have made it clearer. ESP, Hillholder ASR display not available when i turn the ignition on.

Any other remarks on the 16v diesel lol.

The ASR light only comes on if there's a problem. I drive the 1.9 Sporting and don't have the power outlet in the boot, it's an optional extra in the UK unless you have the eleganza where i think it's standard. The fact it sounds like a diesel could be down to a number of reasons, from not enough oil to being not fully run in, or just needs fixing :p

The bonnet can be and should be sorted by your dealer as it's clearly unacceptable.

I still have the problems with the brakes, and mine's done 5200 miles, I keep meaning to book it in for the new upgraded pads - As fiat know about the brake problem.

The CD player either needs replacing - or if your using burned disks with labels on, the CD player will have trouble reading them and problems when ejecting, remove the labels and your sorted - Or do what I did and let the CD player eat them (n) .

Hope some of that helps lol.
Tom :)

CD plays up on all discs and brand new ones(not copies). ESP, ASR , Hillholder is unavailable. Thats what displays on the centre lcd screen. I will have to book it in.

CD plays up on all discs and brand new ones(not copies). ESP, ASR , Hillholder is unavailable. Thats what displays on the centre lcd screen. I will have to book it in.

I also have a dodgy cd player - insert cd plays ok for 3 minutes then starts jumping then just stops playing and you cant eject it - not too botherd as use a usb hdd to play mp3s - will mention it when it is in for its service - next january.......
I'm happy to live with it for now :)

ESP, ASR , Hillholder is unavailable. Thats what displays on the centre lcd screen. I will have to book it in.

Software (body computer) update plus check the brake switch.

I also have a dodgy cd player - insert cd plays ok for 3 minutes then starts jumping then just stops playing and you cant eject it - not too botherd as use a usb hdd to play mp3s - will mention it when it is in for its service - next january.......
I'm happy to live with it for now :)

Audio unit only one year warranty so mae sure you do it before your year is up...check dates carefully if car was pre-registered.

The 1.4 16V has a diesel like sound on low rpm, but once you go above 2500rpm, the sound is very very nice. I really like it. The hill holder doesn't display anything.

tbh mate this is why the grande punto came 100/100 for customer satistfaction which is a shame because its a great car just needs screwing together properly which is where the japanise get it right just not the looks.

Back