Technical Any way of repairing this on the car?

Currently reading:
Technical Any way of repairing this on the car?

The bumper is cracked about two thirds of the way down, and was previously repaired with tape. The bumper is hanging forward a little because I've loosened it from the top, but I can't get the screws out of the bottom. The grill is undamaged but resistant to going back into place.

Can this be repaired on the car? What would you do?

If it has to come off I'm going to have to drill the remaining screws out and then how I'll be getting the bumper back on I don't currently know.

IMG20231112144828.jpg

Looking at the wide crack under the headlight for me it’d have to come off, if nothing else just to get some strength on the back of it. You won’t get a anything half decent attacking it from the front. If it’s just security you’re after and don’t care how it looks you could drill a small hole either side of the crack and cable tie it (if you can pull it away enough to get in)

Hi, just seen this! I know they used to use fibreglass with resin to get structure and strength on race cars for fenders bumpers etc🧐 You could look into that as you will get a nice finish and then can respray for a clean job.

Hi, just seen this! I know they used to use fibreglass with resin to get structure and strength on race cars for fenders bumpers etc🧐 You could look into that as you will get a nice finish and then can respray for a clean job.
I glue repaired it on the car a few days ago.

I could lift it off far enough to get some tape behind it, bunged the resin on top, sanded, put on filler, sanded. The paint came today, so I'll finish it off tomorrow and post a picture. Not sure what It'll look like, better but not perfect I imagine. As the car is 15 years old, it doesn't need to look good anyway, I just didn't want it to look broken.

No worries! I’m sure it will be better than it was- like you say after 15 yrs it just needs to be functional.
Always a nice feeling when you can do a job yourself 👍🏻

Is this the wrong paint colour?

On the left I put the undercoat and one coat of the bought paint, no lacquer yet. It just doesn't look right, it is too dark and not metallic.

Am i missing something? Or did the ebay seller mix the wrong colour?

IMG20231120122408.jpg

Looks close but as you say doesn’t look metallic. It will shine up after the lacquer but won’t have metallic in the laquer so will just be shiny blue I assume😏. Did you give them the paint colour code?

I did give them the code yeah, they're a big seller on ebay with 170,000 mostly positive feedback. I will contact them and see if they'll send out a better match with metallic.

Yeah I would- have you tried the lacquer yet, is it possible it has metal flakes in the tin??🧐

Yeah I would- have you tried the lacquer yet, is it possible it has metal flakes in the tin??🧐
I tried the lacquer and it was flat so I'll try to get a refund. I phoned a guy locally who said he had some or could mix it, so i'll end up going there. Its better if a guy actually sees the car and its colour (probably) :)

I got some paint today and it's a really good match, so the undercoat went on and I'll do the colour itself tomorrow.

I think the eBay seller never intended for the paint to match. I bought primer, lacquer and the mixed paint in a kit too cheaply for it to be genuine. They were just selling the primer and lacquer and giving away any old paint. Ebay can be like that. Anyway I sent it all back and I found a really good supplier for the future.

It’s good to know as I have often wondered how good some of the paint suppliers are online. Hope the new stuff works out better for you!

I have just had another good go at removing what’s left of my lacquer on the entire car, in the hope i can give it a totally fresh coat after polishing and waxing in the spring…Hopefully the end to 3 yrs of looking at orange peel and mismatching paint!!

This is the finished job. Its a long way from mint, but its not falling off the car. By the time the car has a layer of dirt on it nobody will notice!

IMG20231124114228.jpg

Back