Technical Thermostat on way out?

Currently reading:
Technical Thermostat on way out?

Scoober82

Hi All!!

I notified since the bad weather had started that my engine temperature will not go about 80 degrees when warm on fast roads but then quickly drops to almost cold when stationary or using round town….

My first guess is that the thermostat is on its way out but I remembered I did a coolant change in summer and wondered if I still potentially had air in the system, which could also cause this problem?

Any ideas from you guys before I stick my head under the bonnet and start tinkering would help 😂🙏

Thanks F.F

Diesel or Petrol (gasoline)? Diesel can heat-up poorly in the winter (you should never set blower to "4", you're cooling the engine).
You should pop the bonnet and check the hoses and radiator (as car is heating up). Easy basic check.
No need for another thermostat forum thread (plenty of them)!

Also, pop the side panel and touch the heater matrix.

Cooling system in Grande is self air-bleeding. So that's not air for sure (exhaust gases is a different story).

Diesel or Petrol (gasoline)? Diesel can heat-up poorly in the winter (you should never set blower to "4", you're cooling the engine).
You should pop the bonnet and check the hoses and radiator (as car is heating up). Easy basic check.
No need for another thermostat forum thread (plenty of them)!

Also, pop the side panel and touch the heater matrix.

Cooling system in Grande is self air-bleeding. So that's not air for sure (exhaust gases is a different story).
Hi, it a 1.9 Diesel, I assumed because there were bleed points on the heater matrix hoses that it was manual but that’s nice to know!! Saves me a job-
Iv checked the system today and no leaks and expansion bottle is at max line.

My heater blower only works on 4!! It’s the second resistor in less than two years…

So from what I gather your saying when hearing is on setting 4 it draws too much heat away from the engine and therefore stays cooler?

Thanks for your help

Back