General Redline MT-85 instead of Tutela Technyx

Currently reading:
General Redline MT-85 instead of Tutela Technyx

DimitrisL

Hello. I have the GP 1.4 16v with the 6 speed gearbox. Problem is that the synchros for 2nd and 3rd gear are a bit weak and I have trouble engaging over 3000 rpm (especially in cold weather). They are not grinding but I can feel the difference. So I decided to try another gear oil Redline MT-85 after reading about its ability to improve such problems. After 10000 Km I have to say that the gearbox feels better. My problem is that the specs don't exactly much. Redline is a GL4 while Technyx is GL4 plus. And to make matters worse GL4 plus isn't really an official spec. So do you think I should keep using it or do I risk damaging the transaxle? Thanks in advance.

Gl4+ just means it is better then gl4 spec but does not have the high anti sheer spec of gl5 allthough that isn't supposed to be an issue now like it was originally with the damaging bronze metals

I wouldn't worry about it however it's a very old design of box and a gl4 oil will work perfectly fine it probably only had gl4 oil in the box from the factory

Gl4+ just means it is better then gl4 spec but does not have the high anti sheer spec of gl5 allthough that isn't supposed to be an issue now like it was originally with the damaging bronze metals

I wouldn't worry about it however it's a very old design of box and a gl4 oil will work perfectly fine it probably only had gl4 oil in the box from the factory
Thanks. I am worrying because I know that there is also the tutela matryx that is used for some punto models and that it is a simple gl4 spec gear oil not a gl4+ so there should be some difference. But I am also leaning toward being ok especially because Redline supposed to be high end gl4 gear oil. I appreciate the help.

Back