Technical Uconnect 7" without carplay swap with Uconnect 7" with carplay?

Currently reading:
Technical Uconnect 7" without carplay swap with Uconnect 7" with carplay?

Jodsclass

Hi All.

I've got a 2017 500s with the 7" uconnect including tomtom nav. I do like the system & have up-to-date maps which I actually like, but I’m always curious to know if this unit can be swapped with a carplay enabled 7" system from a newer model? Is it a straight swap, or would it also need proxi alignment? My wife would love carplay in the car, but I’m not so fussed. If it's a straight swap, I can just go for it and put in a salvage headunit with CarPlay. If it's more complicated, I can look into it, but at least it's a reason to put the brakes on.

Any help greatly received, or if anyone has already done this & has any advice, I'd love to hear from you.

Hi All.

I've got a 2017 500s with the 7" uconnect including tomtom nav. I do like the system & have up-to-date maps which I actually like, but I’m always curious to know if this unit can be swapped with a carplay enabled 7" system from a newer model? Is it a straight swap, or would it also need proxi alignment? My wife would love carplay in the car, but I’m not so fussed. If it's a straight swap, I can just go for it and put in a salvage headunit with CarPlay. If it's more complicated, I can look into it, but at least it's a reason to put the brakes on.

Any help greatly received, or if anyone has already done this & has any advice, I'd love to hear from you.
Yr current unit maybe be able to be coded with CarPlay. Just need to proxy align it with new codes.

However Some 2016/7 units may have the older firmware which cant be coded so there is 50/50 chance it may/may not work.

I've seen posts about activating it, but has anyone on fiat forum actually tried it? Would be good to have a write-up on it & some detailed instructions. A lot of the posts I’ve found need to be translated, so It's not so clear. If it was written up, perhaps other people would also want to try it.

I've seen posts about activating it, but has anyone on fiat forum actually tried it? Would be good to have a write-up on it & some detailed instructions. A lot of the posts I’ve found need to be translated, so It's not so clear. If it was written up, perhaps other people would also want to try it.
Ive done quite a few over the past 2 years.
But yr gonna need OBD yellow cable & reader and paid version of MultiEUscan to start with.
Im on most of FB fiat/abarth forums.
Is there not a sticky in here on how to?

I've put together all the posts about it in a guide, so that should help you out :)

Ive done quite a few over the past 2 years.
But yr gonna need OBD yellow cable & reader and paid version of MultiEUscan to start with.
Im on most of FB fiat/abarth forums.
Is there not a sticky in here on how to?
Are there any obvious signs without using the head unit that it's capable of supporting carplay with a proxi alignment? Anything in the menus, or is it a remove from the dash & check the label kind of thing. Also, if so, what should I be looking for on the label. Don't want to get all the kit to do a proxi alignment only to find it's not possible with this head unit.

Are there any obvious signs without using the head unit that it's capable of supporting carplay with a proxi alignment? Anything in the menus, or is it a remove from the dash & check the label kind of thing. Also, if so, what should I be looking for on the label. Don't want to get all the kit to do a proxi alignment only to find it's not possible with this head unit.
The best way is to have a look at the top label of yr 7”. You’re looking for EMEA DAB NAV or ECE DAB GPS any variant of those.

Anything that states w/out CarPlay V23 it will be unlikely it can coded. It has a different firmware.

Open glove box 4 torq screws.
Remove front aircon panel, remove 2 screws.
Pull dash left to right.
4 screws radio surround, remove
4 screws radio, remove
Pull forward see top label
No need to disconnect.

The best way is to have a look at the top label of yr 7”. You’re looking for EMEA DAB NAV or ECE DAB GPS any variant of those.

Anything that states w/out CarPlay V23 it will be unlikely it can coded. It has a different firmware.

Open glove box 4 torq screws.
Remove front aircon panel, remove 2 screws.
Pull dash left to right.
4 screws radio surround, remove
4 screws radio, remove
Pull forward see top label
No need to disconnect.
Thanks for this. We are in the middle of biblical tropical storms here on the Cornish coast, so I'll wait for the weather to improve before dismantling the dashboard. I'll post back here as soon as I’ve had the chance with an update. If it's a supported model, the cost of Multiecuscan and adaptors will be more than worth it.

Thanks for this. We are in the middle of biblical tropical storms here on the Cornish coast, so I'll wait for the weather to improve before dismantling the dashboard. I'll post back here as soon as I’ve had the chance with an update. If it's a supported model, the cost of Multiecuscan and adaptors will be more than worth it.
Oh gosh, heard there was a storm coming.
Stay safe 👍

Back