Technical Tyre Pressure Monitoring System.

Currently reading:
Technical Tyre Pressure Monitoring System.

Brigodee

Does anyone know how the TPMS works on a Panda Pop 2016 vintage? For example, is there a battery, or anything with a life, in the wheels that needs replacing occasionally?

Most tyre pressure monitors are operated by a module, that's got the information regarding the set pressure, its connected to a pick up on all the wheels like a little seven inch disc on or behind the disc/drum brakes.

It counts the revolution of each wheel, so since a flat (or almost flat) tyre revolves faster.

It reports one or more of the tyres are flat

Thank you very much for replying T.A.P. I was worried (maybe as was intended) by a warning notice at my usual tyre fitter stating that when fitting a new tyre a new battery may be required every two years, inside the tyre somewhere, and as my Panda is eight years old...... Clearly if it is a passive system nothing need be done.

Thank you very much for replying T.A.P. I was worried (maybe as was intended) by a warning notice at my usual tyre fitter stating that when fitting a new tyre a new battery may be required every two years, inside the tyre somewhere, and as my Panda is eight years old...... Clearly if it is a passive system nothing need be done.

It's often reliant on the wheel speed sensors (ABS..)

A flat tyre will spin quicker than the other 3 😉

Mine came on when I had changed the front struts and drop links, mine is 2016 too. One of the nuts had been a 'false' tight and as well as knocking, the wheel speed difference set off the TPMS. At least it isn't sensors in the wheel, some cars have major problems with them. :( Tightening up the bottom nut on the drop link sorted it.

Yes, the Panda simply uses the ABS sensors to detect a wheel turning at a different speed to the others when the car is driving in a straight line. It also detects if all four are noteably different to what they have been over recent previous journeys. A single tyre has to drop several psi before the system alerts you. And all four can drop many psi too (such as when pressure drop as colder weather arrives). Either way, there are no batteries or sensors inside the wheels, and the only real way to keep the pressures ‘right’ is to check them frequently… weekly in an ideal world. And, crucially, to reset the system if the tyre pressures have been altered/corrected.

Last edited:
Yes, the Panda simply uses the ABS sensors to detect a wheel turning at a different speed to the others when the car is driving in a straight line. It also detects if all four are noteably different to what they have been over recent previous journeys. A single tyre has to drop several psi before the system alerts you. And all four can drop many psi too (such as when pressure drop as colder weather arrives). Either way, there are no batteries or sensors inside the wheels, and the only real way to keep the pressures ‘right’ is to check them frequently… weekly in an ideal world.
Thanks H.H., I thought the valves had embedded batteries and was worried they might go flat with who knows what dreadful consequences.

Also happens when you fit a space saver, as their rolling circumference/pressure is less.

Or a spare (or any wheel) and tyre combination that has significant pressure vectors (more or less air inside) as the monitors only as good as the info it receives.

Does my 2013 4x4 have TPMS?
I believe so, yes. Turn the key to the position where the warning lights show, but don’t start the engine. On the dash, press the ‘set/menu’ button two to the left of the hazard lights. The word ‘menu’ will appear on the display above the fuel gauge. Now, press the ‘up arrow’ button (to the right of the ‘set’ button) and click thru the menu options. If you have tyre pressure monitoring you’ll see it show in the menu. Theres an old post of mine in here somewhere that explains how to set/reset it.

The cheapest system just uses the ABS speed sensors on each wheel.
More expensive systems have a pressure sensor in each wheel, and will often report actual pressures in the display. The valves with pressure sensors usually have a nut on the outside of the wheel. If no nut, giving the valve a flick will usually bring a tiny clunk if there's a sensor inside.

The Doblo has sensors in each wheel, but no mention of any reset process in the handbook. No menu item either. Latest MES software does read and reset.

No, nothing on mine I'm afraid - I didn't think I'd seen it in the Menu, and there's no little tyre symbol amongst my many warning/info lights :confused:

Yes, the Panda simply uses the ABS sensors to detect a wheel turning at a different speed to the others when the car is driving in a straight line. It also detects if all four are noteably different to what they have been over recent previous journeys. A single tyre has to drop several psi before the system alerts you. And all four can drop many psi too (such as when pressure drop as colder weather arrives). Either way, there are no batteries or sensors inside the wheels, and the only real way to keep the pressures ‘right’ is to check them frequently… weekly in an ideal world. And, crucially, to reset the system if the tyre pressures have been altered/corrected.
In my experience down below about 4psi, soo virtually flat. But better than being flat!

No, nothing on mine I'm afraid - I didn't think I'd seen it in the Menu, and there's no little tyre symbol amongst my many warning/info lights :confused:
No, my 63 plate doesn't either (4x4 TA) I can confirm however that the 4WD unavailable message gets triggered when driving with a flat on the rear...

To be honest you wouldn't have noticed anything amiss otherwise!

Back