Technical Turning over but not starting

Currently reading:
Technical Turning over but not starting

tmccar

My 2001 Punto MK2 stopped while driving along and would not restart. I thought it was related to the battery (which is near end-of-life) or the alternator. But when the breakdown guy connected a booster to the battery, it turned over ok but still would not start.
What could have caused it to stop like this?

Hmmm

Sudden loss of the engine and failure to restart under any circumstance

I had a sneaking suspicion that it might be the crank sensor

pop a HT lead off with a scrap but working plug, and check for presence of spark

if there is no spark - it points to crank

if the plugs are wet tho - with fuel - its not crank, as the crank tells both injection and ignition phases

Ziggy

Ok thanks Ziggy, I will check. I'm 2 hours from the car at the moment (I borrowed my mother's car to go to work) so it may be a few days before I get a chance to check.

You need to work out what is missing;

is Fuel getting there?

is there a spark at the plug's.?

is this a 16valve., if so check the airbox hasnt worked the connector on top of coil free,
this happend to me once,

Last edited:
Yes, I know I should have checked this already. But the breakdown guy said he thought that the timing had slipped so most of my time on Saturday afternoonwas taken up in removing the timing cover and checking the timing marks.
As it turns out, the timing looks ok although the belt was a little slack, so tightened it.
I will check fuel and spark when I get back to it on Friday evening.

i assume you already checked this, but i had the same problem, and for me it was solved with reconnecting the two connectors on the ecu.

i hope this helps you.

I didn't but I will check that if the crank sensor doesn't make a difference, thanks

Ok, I've changed the crank sensor but it nade no difference (still no apark). Fuel is getting through OK

But wouldn't it make an effort to fire up? It's not firing at all

I disconnected the feed to the fuel rail, turned over the engine and there is plenty of fuel coming to this point.

Could this be caused by a faulty coil pack? Or would there still be some firing?

Have you not got scrap yard nearby?

if so grab a coil pack, and swap them over 1 at atime & see what happens.

this new cranksensor you replaced was it a new one?

sometimes brand new parts can be faulty..

Yes, brand new. I have a donor car now, and I will swap the sensor from that and try it. Failing that, I will try swapping coil packs.

Last edited:
Back