General TURBO TIMER Fitting???

Currently reading:
General TURBO TIMER Fitting???

DJ_Bucho

Established member
Ok its confession time, I don't actually own an Uno :eek:.

I've got a Cinq Sporting and my dad has a Cinq Sporting as well but his is fitted with the Novitec high boost Turbo conversion.

We are wanting to fit a Turbo Timer to his car, but we've come across a bit of a problem, and this is where I'm hoping you lot can help us out (fingers crossed (y).

Having already bought the unit in question, (A GReddy Full Auto Timer), it says we needs to be connected it up to the cars Speed Signal Wire, in order for the "Attack" and "Speed" modes to function.

However like the Uno's the Cinq's have a Speedo cable connected to the Gearbox which feeds into the back of the Speedo, thus not providing an electronic signal for the Turbo Timer to read. It says take the signal from the ECU, but I'm not entirely sure there is anywhere I can get a Speedo Signal from inside the ECU as I've no idea how the ECU would know what speedo I'm doing??? Any Idea's???

I'm sure some of you lot have got Turbo Timers fitted to your Uno's and surely some of you much have overcome this problem? ? ? But how??????

Im hoping someone can shed some light on this subject as I'm well and truly stumped.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Brian

DJ_Bucho said:
Ok its confession time, I don't actually own an Uno :eek:.

I've got a Cinq Sporting and my dad has a Cinq Sporting as well but his is fitted with the Novitec high boost Turbo conversion.

We are wanting to fit a Turbo Timer to his car, but we've come across a bit of a problem, and this is where I'm hoping you lot can help us out (fingers crossed (y).

Having already bought the unit in question, (A GReddy Full Auto Timer), it says we needs to be connected it up to the cars Speed Signal Wire, in order for the "Attack" and "Speed" modes to function.

However like the Uno's the Cinq's have a Speedo cable connected to the Gearbox which feeds into the back of the Speedo, thus not providing an electronic signal for the Turbo Timer to read. It says take the signal from the ECU, but I'm not entirely sure there is anywhere I can get a Speedo Signal from inside the ECU as I've no idea how the ECU would know what speedo I'm doing??? Any Idea's???

I'm sure some of you lot have got Turbo Timers fitted to your Uno's and surely some of you much have overcome this problem? ? ? But how??????

Im hoping someone can shed some light on this subject as I'm well and truly stumped.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Brian

When i fitted one on my old rover, i had to give it a signal from the park brake, so when the hand rake was applied and the ignition turned off the timer would start to count down then stop the engine when the time was up.. not sure if this helps but i wired it in myself so i should be fairly simple...
rob(y)

Rob-mint-mk1-uno said:
When i fitted one on my old rover, i had to give it a signal from the park brake, so when the hand rake was applied and the ignition turned off the timer would start to count down then stop the engine when the time was up.. not sure if this helps but i wired it in myself so i should be fairly simple...
rob(y)

Yeah mine has to have a signal from the park brake as well, but also requires a signal from the speedo.

I understand from the instructions that it uses the speedo signal to determine how fast the car has been driven and therefore calculate a cool down period, as well as it using the speedo signal to perform its 0-100km/h, 0-200km/h, 100-0km/h etc attack calculations.

I'll have to investigate further as these are features I'd really like to have the ability to use, and one of the main reasons for buying the Turbo Timer was its host of functions. The thought of not being able to use them is quite disappointing.

If... no when (i know what you're like by now :D) you sort this out brian can you let me know how you got around any obstacles please, as its something i want to look into in the near future :)

Also, i still havn't got you those measurements! :eek: sorry will get out and get them tomorrow if you still want them? :)

GhostWKD said:
If... no when (i know what you're like by now :D) you sort this out brian can you let me know how you got around any obstacles please, as its something i want to look into in the near future :)

Also, i still havn't got you those measurements! :eek: sorry will get out and get them tomorrow if you still want them? :)

Not a problem matey, I know I'll manage to get it working somehow, its just finding out what I need to do / buy in order to fix it.
But yeah I'll let you know how I resolve the problem as soon as I do.:)

Oh and if you could get those measurements tomorrow that would be great, thanks very much (y)

why didnt you post in the cinq section?
anyway one solution may be to butcher a sei speedo drive to allow the digital unit to hook to the gearbox and a cable to come from that giving oyu both.
however i saw a post(perhaps on FF) where you can buy a unit giving you the digital signal from an analogue 'box.
think it may have been a greddy unit

custard said:

Back again, and I've got a few questions to answer.

First of all yeah Custard that was me, but I still haven't got the problem sorted, here's how the story continues. . . . .

Basically to cut a long story short I ended up forking out the £43 for the Brantz Sender unit as I thought it was what I needed to get the Turbo Timer to work correctly. Seeing as the unit was listed for Ford/Fiat/Vauxhall I thought champion it'd work no problem. How wrong was I? ? ? ? ?

The sender arrived the other day, and on first impressions all seemed good, until I came to test fit it on a spare gearbox my mate had (Peaster2k).

The thread is far to large and doesn't screw onto the speedo takeoff on the gearbox, also because its an M18 thread the speedo cable doesn't even screw onto the Unit meaning there's no possible way of fixing it to my Cinq Gear box :mad:

I posted this the Uno section as I figured a few of the Uno Turbo members would have fitted a Turbo Timer, and seeing as the Uno's also have a mechanical speedo like the Cinq's they might know how to overcome this problem. . . .

Right, Further developements.

After searching on the web for a good few hours, I've come on the conclusion that although the bag my Brantz sensor was supplied in, was marked "BNZBR4" (the model designed to fit GM/Vaux/Fiat/Ford), as was the instruction sheet, and it came supplied with the peg that plugs into the sensor and ensures the speedo cable still functions correctly.

The sensor that came in the bag had an M22 x 1.5mm thread, looking in the Demon Tweeks catalog as well as on the Brantz and Tweeks websites, it appears the model I ordered (BNZBR4) should have an M18 x 1.5mm thread and the Jap sensor (model BNZBR3) has an M22 x 1.5mm thread, so it appears I have the wrong sensor, despite my Invoice stating BNZBR4.

So it was on the phone to Demon Tweeks to try and sort out the problem.

Talked to a very nice sounding girl :yum: and I explained my situation. Telling her that the senser didn't fit onto the gearbox as the thread was too large, and that the peg supplied didn't fit into the sensor properly (because the Jap model of sensor doesn't take the peg as it is a lug drive unit).

She put me on hold and went away to check, and came back saying it looks like the sensor I was sent is a BNZBR3 when infact I ordered a BNZBR4 and thats why it doesn't fit my Cinq, (Just what I thought). She said send it back to them with a copy of the Invoice and they'll send out a BNZBR4 sensor to replace it.

So thats what I've done, all wrapped and posted off this afternoon.

I'll keep you posted as to whether the correct BNZBR4 sensor fits the gearbox when it arrives. Fingers crossed.

I had recently bought one turbo timer too, no matter that I have a turbo uno without a turbo unit ( damn :( ) At the moment the car was taken to the garage to do some engine restorings and other things, and I let the workers there to try to fit the timer somewhere, so will see what they have done and where they have put it.

Ok another update,

I received my replacement Brantz sensor today, and this time it was the right one. (y) Well at least I think it is.

Its a good bit smaller than the one I was sent the first time. It has an M18 thread instead of an M22, which is a good sign, and the end that the speedo cable plugs into looks just about idential to the speedo takeoff mounted on the gearbox again looking good so far. :)

I wont be able to tell if its the right one for definiate until tomorrow night, as I'll test fit it on Peaster2k's spare gearbox and connect it up to a speedo cable to make sure everything fits correctly. and the speedo cable still turns with the sensor in place

But rest assured I'll keep you lot updated to my findings. :D

Any news on this brian? think you may have got the same turbo timer as me, and before i go wiring it in (how hard did you guys find it btw?) i think i want to get the attack mode stuff working too (more because its there lol :D)

Well it's still proving to be harder to fit than I ever thought it would.

Even the adaptor that's surposidely designed to fit directly to Fiat's DOESN'T :mad:.
The sendor has a square hole right through the centre of it allowing the square peg drive to fit securely into it. However this squre peg does not fit into the speedo take off on the gearbox, and likewise the end of the speedo cable doesn't fit into the square hole in the sendor body.
However I think I've managed to find a way to get round the problem.

Luckerly Dave (Peaster2k) had a spare electronic speedo sender (normally found on the Punto or seicento). Having cut this this open I removed the small metal peg that fits into the gearbox and provides a sender with the speed signal.

I then got this machined so that the other end of it fits into the square hole in the sender. This means that the sender now gets a signal from the gearbox. However the dials on the dash still wont work as the speedo cable still doesn't fit into the other end of the sender.

In order for the speedo cable to fit into the sender the end of it has to be modified into a square hoe in the sender. I haven't done this yet as I dont have a spare speedo cable at the moment. But when I do I'll upload pictures to show exactly what I mean.

Oh and Alex the Turbo Timer I has is the Greddy Full Auto Timer shown in the link below.

Hope that helps.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GREDDY-FULL-AUTO-TURBO-TIMER-RX7-EVO-SUBARU-SUPRA-MR2_W0QQitemZ110065954953QQihZ001QQcategoryZ72205QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back