Tris's New Car

Currently reading:
Tris's New Car

well then, as quite a few of you know, ive been banging on about getting a new car to replace my nice, but un-inspiring Fiesta. I need you guys to help me whittle down my list!

GPS m-jet
GPS t-jet
Fiesta Zetec S
Fiesta ST (would have to wait till January)
Alfa 147 (january)
Seat Ibiza Tdi
Focus 1.8 Tdci
Swift 1.5
mk2b Punto Sporting (save myself some cash)
Golf Tdi
Astra sporthatch SRI/SXI 1.6/1.7cdti
Leon Tdi
Mini Cooper
Volvo C30 ((january) poss depending on prices in Jan)

Help me out, i dont have a clue!

Need more info mate:

- How old are you?
- How many NCB do you have?
- Is insurance cost of importance?
- Is econemy of importance?
- How much are you looking to spend?
- Does it have to be new, if not how old can it be?
- Does it have to be a hatchback?
- How many miles do you do?
- What is your financial situation like?
- Would you prefer petrol or diesel - or doesnt it matter to you?

... talk about 21 questions :eek:

Probably more questions that I have forgotten about but that should do for now.

Last edited:
Swift is not exactly inspiring unless you hit a back road and rev the s**t out of it...good equipment, nice engine, fun handling but day to day when you pootling about at 1200rpm in fifth its not exactly amazing. Mines been a bit crap reliability wise not actively broken down but has been back to garage more than it should have been and garage breaks things 100% of the time while fixing it. E.g. I had a slightly leaky driveshaft, they fixed it so it dropped oil all over the drive from the gear bag, I had parts of the front suspension replaced they knacked the brakes while doing so. If it had only gone in once for each job it would be ok but each new breakage was 2 garage trips. But the moral here is probably don't use a fiat dealership...as I went to a joint fiat/suzuki outfit.

Need more info mate:

- How old are you?
- How many NCB do you have?
- Is insurance cost of importance?
- Is econemy of importance?
- How much are you looking to spend?
- Does it have to be new, if not how old can it be?
- Does it have to be a hatchback?
- How many miles do you do?
- What is your financial situation like?
- Would you prefer petrol or diesel - or doesnt it matter to you?

... talk about 21 questions :eek:

Probably more questions that I have forgotten about but that should do for now.

I'm 19.
0 NCB until January 09 (hopefully)
No more than insurance group 10
Economy- kinda important, if it puts a smile on my face im not as bothered
Looking at spending up to 9/10k
Can be up to 4 years old
Doesnt have to be a hatchback, but has to suit a 19YO
Financial situation = good
Fancy diesel or petrol... i like torque, but i like revs:devil:

GPS m-jet
GPS t-jet
Fiesta Zetec S
Fiesta ST (would have to wait till January)
Alfa 147 (january)
Seat Ibiza Tdi
Focus 1.8 Tdci
Swift 1.5
mk2b Punto Sporting (save myself some cash)
Golf Tdi
Astra sporthatch SRI/SXI 1.6/1.7cdti
Leon Tdi
Mini Cooper
Volvo C30 ((january) poss depending on prices in Jan)
that is a very confused list with a wide price variance. the only common element is a hatchback.

before you think about the actual cars, you need to decide how much you want to spend and what you want the car to do. what fuel economy are you looking for, and what kind insurance?

personally; from that list the only cars i'd want to own are the 147, focus, C30 & leon.

lets decide on a budget first.

Last edited:
I'm 19.
0 NCB until January 09 (hopefully)
No more than insurance group 10
Economy- kinda important, if it puts a smile on my face im not as bothered
Looking at spending up to 9/10k
Can be up to 4 years old
Doesnt have to be a hatchback, but has to suit a 19YO
Financial situation = good
Fancy diesel or petrol... i like torque, but i like revs:devil:

oh you already answered those questions. :eek:

well, if you're that rich your list is crap. just get an alfa GT JTD and make women want to have sex with you. i know you're only young but if money isn't a big problem you should chose a coupe over a hatchback. if you dont know why, you'll enjoy finding out.

20052165434140871yo9.jpg

Last edited:
oh you already answered those questions. :eek:

well, if you're that rich your list is crap. just get an alfa GT JTD and make women want to have sex with you. i know you're only young but if money isn't a big problem you should chose a coupe over a hatchback. if you dont know why, you'll enjoy finding out.

20052165434140871yo9.jpg

The only trouble with them is that they insurance grouping is much too high... i've wanted one since a kid, but there is no way anyone is going to want to insure me for less than 3.5k which is a problem!

Last edited:
in all honesty, at your age i really think you would be better off with a cheaper car that is cheap to run.

you say you want a car up to 4 years old. personally i think anything newer than 5 years old is going to waste your money due to depreciation. you realy should get yourself a 5-8 year old car for £2000-3000. that way you'll lose very little over 2 years, so you'll be able to get a NICE car when you're 21. live for tomorrow, dont blow it all today.

there are so many great cars for £2000-3000, and at your age you probably will want to ruin, err i mean personalise your car, so you dont want to damage the value of an expensive car and then cry about the money you lose on it.

look at my astra; it only cost me £2000 and its practically a mint condition good as new car. i can chav it up as much as i like with no worries about losing money. i could set it on fire and i'd still lose less money than buying a 2 year old car.

Back