Transporting wood

Currently reading:
Transporting wood

JustAndy

Doesn't own a fiat..
I was wondering how you would transport wood from the hardware store to your home if you had a punto? The pieces are about 6 foot long and about 2 foot wide and I wouldn't trust them to cut it themselves because I need very precise measurements so how would you transport it? I don't have any access to a van or even a bigger car so would it be possible to get roof bars for a punto mk2 or just kinda stick it in the boot and hope for the best? The hardware store is only about 2-3 miles away so not that much of a journey. Any ideas?

If possible try and slide them in from the boot into the passenger footwell, so make sure you recline the front seat, also you may have to fold the rear seat. should fit that way, though check with a tape measure first.

If not plenty of string is the answer.

well i was thinking if they dont fit in anyway and they are still poking out somehow i can just tie my boot down best i can and just take it nice and slow going home. Bungee cords ftw! Is there any legal risks in doing this if i make sure the boards are secure and the boot is tied down?

I need the whole piece in specific sizes so it wouldnt really work getting it done rough cos id loose out on pieces where they have cut it. May try them once to see how good they are at cutting accurately

Best way I have found. Wilkos do some straps that have a locking mechanism, very long, black webbing about 3cm wide and only a couple of quid. Pipe lagging is also extremely cheap.
lay the lagging on your roof, trapped down by the wood. Open all car doors & chuck the straps over the wood, slipping the loose end through the locking mechanism. have the front strap as far forward as you can get & the rear strap as far back. you can then close the doors onto the straps.
Even though I now have roof rails, i still carry the pipe lagging under my back seat just in case (I had to transport a single bed & mattress which fitted between my rails so the lagging stopped any paint damage and I still put the straps inside the car rather than round the rails - I just feel it's safer pinned hard to the roof.

through boot an out of sunroof, dont go over 30 mph or wind will snap them.
better to get them to cut it to size you give them, if they cut it wrong you dont pay
Yeah, i would have to go in rush hour then because the way home from there is along the ring road so 60 speed limit and people would get annoyed lol
Yeah thats true but theres always limited supply so if they get it wrong then i might not get any and might have to wait a while for more to get in stock

Not too sure, i think its only on orders over a certain price which is very high, about £250 plus then theres postage prices etc so its cheaper to just go collect

Exactly what is it you want to order?

If B & Q stock it, you can buy it online. As its delivered from their delivery hub direct to you, not having it at your local store makes no difference.
Ohh right, its conti board for making a custom sized vivarium. And theres very limited stock in any b&q near me so delivery would be good but it wont let me choose delivery for some reason

Back