Traffic Offences & Legal Guide

Currently reading:
Traffic Offences & Legal Guide

Punched a few of the words I remembered into Google and sound what she told me.

Any speedometer that is fitted to a vehicle must be kept in good working order whilst the vehicle is being used on a road. The penalty for failing to have a speedometer in good working order is a fine.

However, if the speedometer develops a fault whilst being used or a defect has been discovered then all steps must be taken to rectify the fault with reasonable expedition. This exception applies only when the defect develops and must be repaired before the next journey.

Thought you would have gotten points too, tbh.

Dunno. How would they know it isn't working unless they were in when you were driving?

Probably only an issue if your car seems visually unroadworthy eg bald tyres and they conviscate it and carry out tests?

Dunno. How would they know it isn't working unless they were in when you were driving?

Probably only an issue if your car seems visually unroadworthy eg bald tyres and they conviscate it and carry out tests?

Good point, didn't think of that lol. They'd have to have a pretty dam good camera to see that lol.

Possibly, why would they conviscate it though? It's only points/fines for tyres isn't it?

Dom

It's not a legal requirement, although if caught speeding you can't use it as an excuse.

A few tractors out there don't have speedos as already pointed out.
Lots of internet mythology about this. For anybody who wants the truth the Construction and Use regs say that every motor vehicle shall be fitted with a speedometer except:

a vehicle having a maximum speed not exceeding 25 m.p.h.,
a vehicle which, at all times, is unlawful to drive at more than 25 m.p.h.,
an agricultural motor vehicle driven at not more than 20 m.p.h.,
a motor cycle not exceeding 100cc first used before 1st April 1984,
an invalid carriage first used before 1st April 1984,
a works truck first used before 1st April 1984,
any vehicle first used before 1st October 1937,
a vehicle fitted with an approved tachograph which is required or not.

The wording "any speedometer (or light or reflector or wiper etc etc) must be working" can be found in a huge number of traffic laws. What it means is that if you decide to fit an extra speedo that must work properly in addition to the compulsory one.

In court we usually see this with land rover owners who have fitted an extra set of rear lights (tail, stop and indicators) at the top of the vehicle to mirror the factory fit ones at the bottom. They usually have a change over switch that allows them to turn off the lower ones when they are covered with mud and switch on the upper ones. Thats not lawful. No problem fitting the extra set but they ALL must work all the time.

there are some rules about lights being placed symmetrically about the centre line and some about distance from the edge of the vehicle so they would also need to be complied with.

shouldnt speed then (n)

only loophole is if they get the road name wrong, or say u wasnt driving, or if they dont contact you within 14 days or summin

Alas the contact within a certain period of time is actually not correct. ( I can not remember what it is now).

This is the time period for the case to be "laid" to the court. It is nothing to do with the time apparently with when you are informed of you alleged offence or prosecution.

I was surprised when an alleged speeding offence of me doing 37mph in a 30 mph limited (on a broad A road that used to be de-restricted) came through the post.

It was outside the supposed required time period within which to be notified. Furthermore I looked at the post mark stamp, which showed that it was not even posted until 3 days after this supposed cut off date.

In court I had multiple issues. Firstly an officer of the law said one thing to one court, and when I took it to the higher county crown court said the complete opposite under oath! In other words it is established some officers do not tell the truth.

But back to the notice window. The court said that was irrelevant. They said that as long as the case is filed *WITH THEM* before the cut off period; they can send out prosecution notices whenever!

So in theory then you could have got speeding in 1978; and as long as it was filed with the court within this "time window"; in theory you could get a letter in the post tomorrow.

I used to think that Britain was a relatively fair country, with an established legal system that was fair and just.

Now I realise that if you can not trust officers of the law on alleged minor offences; how can you trust these multi million ££ cases involving murder, rape or whatever.

Now I realise that one can not trust officers of the law or judges.

Is it illegal to text while riding a horse on the road?

Just saw someone ride past texting away

Don't think it'll be covered as the acts normally apply to motorised vehicles only. May be some other random law they could be done for though. Can't see it myself though as the horse itself is more of a general liability than texting while riding it would be.

Back