Traffic Offences & Legal Guide

Currently reading:
Traffic Offences & Legal Guide

Therefore if I get pulled over again I should be able to show them that I have allready been fined for this and they then cant do me for it again.
Nice theory. Not true.

Until the tints are removed you continue to commit the offence and can be stopped again. And again. If you were to show them that you have already been fined for the tints I would expect you to be reported for prosecution. The court would increase the penalty considerably. The phrase we use is that you have failed to respond to a previous sentence so an increase is necessary.

Sorry jenks, took my eye off the ball for a while. Have you asked the garage if they've used the van while they had it? What is the form the PCSO has filled in? Surely, if the van was taken to a garage by your Dad, with your Mum following behind you can use them as witnesses. They may in theory be considered to be biased, but nontheless they should have a certain amount of credibility before the Beak.

You must fight this (mind you, I'm not the one who could lose) because if you weren't driving it, then you weren't driving it. End of story.

Hi John

Thanks, in the end I paid up as I needed an easier life without the hassle, as it is I still don't have the van back. Everytime I try and organise it the guy seems to have forgotten who I am he promissed several ring backs but never once has he bothered :( once pay day comes I can afford to insure the van and try and get it back again, I'll be giving the garage one more chance to hand it over then I'll report it as stolen.

Cheers

Hi John

Thanks, in the end I paid up as I needed an easier life without the hassle, as it is I still don't have the van back. Everytime I try and organise it the guy seems to have forgotten who I am he promissed several ring backs but never once has he bothered :( once pay day comes I can afford to insure the van and try and get it back again, I'll be giving the garage one more chance to hand it over then I'll report it as stolen.

Cheers
That must have been your defence. Still, I can understand why you decided to cough to it. If he won't return your calls, turn up with some mates and tow it away. If he says you owe him some money just tell him to sue you and then counter-sue for the cost of the fine. The fact that he won't ring back indicates to me that he (or his staff) were the ones driving at the time of the offence.

Failing that, pop round one night with a gallon of unleaded and a box of matches and.....damn, didn't mean that to go on here.....now how do I delete this. Oh yes, there it is.....

That must have been your defence. Still, I can understand why you decided to cough to it. If he won't return your calls, turn up with some mates and tow it away. If he says you owe him some money just tell him to sue you and then counter-sue for the cost of the fine. The fact that he won't ring back indicates to me that he (or his staff) were the ones driving at the time of the offence.

Failing that, pop round one night with a gallon of unleaded and a box of matches and.....damn, didn't mean that to go on here.....now how do I delete this. Oh yes, there it is.....
Bugger, that wasn't the right button.

Necrothread bump, but it's a sticky, so eh.

Is it legal to drive with the speedo built into the dashboard not working? The cable snapped on me last night when I hit a pothole (turns out it had rusted through).

I can put my phone in a dock on the windscreen and get the speed from that (GPS), so I have a speedo.

Hmm, I thought it may have been a driver's aid type of thing.

but even if it was illegal i cant see how you would be caught...

Maybe from the phone with the speed readout stuck to the windscreen, and visible through the rear glass too... :p

Hopefully shop4parts get their fingers out so I can fit the new cable tomorrow or Thursday.

Just out of interest how would they see that it isn't working?

Dom

Good point, quick check found that its not an MOT requirement, but it is ILLEGAL to be on the road without a means of a functioning speedometer. I just presumed, and obviously was wrong :rollseyes:

mine would be obvious in a MOT, the needle flicks upwards then back down on ignition.

Last edited:
Good point, quick check found that its not an MOT requirement, but it is ILLEGAL to be on the road without a means of a functioning speedometer. I just presumed, and obviously was wrong :rollseyes:

mine would be obvious in a MOT, the needle sits about 1cm below 0mph when engine is off.

Lol, I was just thinking that they don't actually drive your car so they wouldn't know.

EDIT: Or could they find out on the brake test..?

Dom

Good point, quick check found that its not an MOT requirement, but it is ILLEGAL to be on the road without a means of a functioning speedometer.

But would a GPS one count? :confused:

Would they usually fit one to rally cars, I thought they just had revs and the current gear? And do they bother fitting them to tractors?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/3257523.stm

I'd expect the cable to turn up tomorrow or Thursday and I only need to go out tomorrow, if it doesn't show I'll borrow my brother's motor to avoid any hassle.

good point, they use rollers for that, so speedo would show up. checked the regulations, Speedo isn't part of it, as far as i can see..

Would it though? How fast do the rollers go?

It's not a legal requirement, although if caught speeding you can't use it as an excuse.

A few tractors out there don't have speedos as already pointed out.

Do tractors even break the speed limits?:p

Dom

It's not a legal requirement, although if caught speeding you can't use it as an excuse.

I just thought it was as every source ive found says it is :confused:

Would it though? How fast do the rollers go?

Presumably fast enought for brakes to be checked and that should mean the speedo registers even slightly. less than 5mph would be pointless for brake tests i presume.

Last edited:
Just got off the phone to the local cop shop to clarify this, it would br illegal to drive except for the remainder of the journey when the fault developed (n)

Also, everywhere needs to order the sodding cable from Italy :bang:

Just got off the phone to the local cop shop to clarify this, it would br illegal to drive except for the remainder of the journey when the fault developed (n)

Also, everywhere needs to order the sodding cable from Italy :bang:

Did you ask how tractors get away with it and what the actual 'offence' is :confused:

That was five and a half hours ago :p
I think it was just be something along the lines of not keeping the vehicle in a roadworthy condition, and it being fitted with a speedometer at the factory.

Tractors, CATs, JCBs etc would be limited anyway, but also electronically capped. Not sure about the rally cars...

Back