General Top Gear

Currently reading:
General Top Gear

Re: I am already awake, TC.........................

This is why I am keeping Stu in mind for a future employer ;)

Re: Paul...........................

twincamms said:
Ever seen your Stilo featured in a Hot Hatch feature, or a GT feature?……….
Yes, the Stilo was featued in TG magazine a few months back - it was under the 'Hot Hatches to consider' and iirc, it said 'for £7500 you can pick up a second-hand Abarth, and you won't go far wrong!'

I just wish i had bought the magazine at the time. It was just after I had bought mine, so felt quite pleased, lol :)

No Stu................................

you've misunderstood me.

My point is I do understand your earning potential, You've made it clear on so many occasions that it'd be quite ignorant of me to be aware of it. You've made reference to the size of property you aspire to, the land you'd like, the material gains you'd like to achieve, etc. I admire your drive and ambition and wish anyone who is successful the greatest fortune in the world, but there comes a point where individuals can condescend and be arragont without being aware of it, like Jeremy Clarkson for example.

My father, has eight properties that he rents out, all of them are paid for and he makes a nice income from them, he still insisits on working at Hotpoint, on the production line for a measly £250 a week and he still lives in the family Bungalow that he purchased in 1974 for £5000, it's now worth £250,00 and he has no desire to move. If he sold up he could retire and have a million quid in the bank at the age of 57 but he is a simple man and he continues to be humble even though he's quite wealthy. He would never discuss his earnings or what he owns with anyone. His mates take the **** out of him because he drives a Golf and he bought my mother one too. This man lives in the real world, he hasn't forgotten his roots, where he came from and how hard he worked to make his money, but the most admirable thing about him is, I've never heard him brag!

Re: Stu............................

Whatever :rolleyes:

I am not materialistic by nature, do not wear designer clothes, do not even wear a watch! I even own two Fiats, lol....

I have made references to my lifestyle in the past because I have been questioned on here about it? I have only answered honestly, surely, and I am not going to hide it. I took pics of my cars on my driveway, people made comments. I have suggested my next few cars, people made comments. Simple as that. And yes, I have worked hard to get where I am now as well.....

If I give the reason for that TC I will yet again be in trouble! You know the reason for that.

The reason why the Stilo wasn't included in the hot hatch test.

Re: Yes.....................................

I am not allowed to say, I am trying to avoid argument by "talking down" the Stilo abarth in the stilo section. I have been told to do that.

Anyway, the reason is in this thread somewhere I expect. Not that you don't know it....

Re: I hope you...............................

Nope and IMO I never have!

You know what I mean I just can't say it and you can't force me to :p

NB: I am not saying the stilo is crap at all, TC is just trying to get me into trouble.

Stu.........................................

going back to the previous discussion, I wasn't being critical and I hope you didn't take it that way, to give you another example..............................

My cousin owns a small engineering firm, he employs about 84 people across two shifts, days and nights, and they make parts for Perkins Engines. Anyway, he is very successful, lives in a half million pound house, owns his factory, has machines in it that are worth more than my house, has an SL500, a BMW540, a 206CC for his wife and he has the most exotic holidays you can dream of. He was advised to invest some of his money in property by his accountants, he now has 13 in his portfolio and he has a letting manager who rents them out. His house and furnishings are excessive beyond belief and I truly admire him for his hard work, he still goes to his factory every day at 0700 and comes home at night at 2100, he works hard and plays hard too. He is a poser and has all the trappings of a successful businessman, he brags and is arrogant and often forgets his roots, however, I do occasionally remind him, his father, my uncle, came here from Sicily with nothing except the clothes he stood in, it was his toil in the brickyards that gave my cousin the opportunity to become educated and elevate himself to being what he is today!

I've seen first generation Italians come over here and be very successful, they work hard and remain humble, however, the second generation who have profited from their parents toil are far more materialistic and arrogant, why is this? Is it this society that makes people this way? Sorry to be philosophical, but it's just an observation that I've made in my own community. I find the same thing going on in Asian life too, the parents work hard to make the money, and the kids blow it on flash cars, etc and then to top it all off, they speak in a West Indian accent too???????

Re: Stu.........................................

Perkins engines? I am sure my Grandpa had a diesel generator made by perkins but the parts for it were so expensive he sold it instead of refurbing it.

I find the same thing going on in Asian life too, the parents work hard to make the money, and the kids blow it on flash cars, etc

I sort of agree without being unPC (I don't think I am being). It does seem to be second generation immigrants that are more arrogant/materialistic if their parents have succeeded. For example, my sister has a Asian friend who has to have a new car bought for him by his parents simply because she tells me it's the way the Asian society works if you have money? (I don't know whether that's true). My gf also has a Asian friend who is on his second car since uni started (sept) because of the same, his parents have to give him the best or something?

If you go down Oxford Road (Manc) in the late evening you see some examples of these people in their Lancers/Subarus etc.

I spose its difficult to cover everyones taste in cars, I think he does overdo the high end market a little bit, just because its what he can afford.

Im yet to see a TG where JC is a loser at anything they do ?

He even won at making the biggest cock up.. I think hes a spoilt old fart if you ask me, and if he don't get his own way he'll walk.. Maybe TG would be a bit better for us common folk if JC was to leave.

twincamms said:
You said "I even own two FIATS", I rest my case, told you you were materialistic!
Er, that was supposed to be tongue in cheek! OK, I own a FIAT, Jules owns a FIAT - that ok? :) And when did you say I was materialistic, or was that supposed to be along with the arrogant and condescending example from earlier? ;)

Perkins have got a place in Peterborough, and other places round the country - maybe Shrewsbury.

Oops........................

seems Stu has gone all personal on me!

The two FIATs thing was a joke, I was trying to say, see you are materialistic owning two prestigious motors such as FIATs, oh forget it, you've missed the sarcasm, it was a joke but you've taken it all too personally!

Back