General Top Gear

Currently reading:
General Top Gear

Re: Stilo Abarth Rally

"Derived from the Stilo 1.8 16v version, the Stilo Abarth Rally has been revised to meet international FIA Group N standards. The engine power of 1747 cc has been increased from its initial value of 133 bhp to 157 bhp, developed at 6900 rpm. The transmission system now consists of a single-plate metal-ceramic clutch while the gearbox is still the standard 5-speed (plus reverse) unit with the addition of frontal engagement and closer ratios."

I have a 1.8 and think that it pulls really well when booted! Want to get it remaped but they currently dont offer it for my car :( Would love to drive an abarth! Hopefully a remap should get just over the 150bhp when avaliable! The stilo is a great car to drive, i kno who much fun i have in mine; i think i fall in love with an abarth i could afford insurance on!

pghstochaj said:
I don't think the thread in general is knocking the stilo abarth, just telling the truth, it's not a hot hatch and people buying it know that, it also has problems, people again know that.
Once again pghstochaj, I am one of those people that have bought it and it is a hot hatch.. how can you say its not when you haven't got one?
170 bhp and a name that goes way back in motoring history, unless you ACTUALLY own one i think people should STFU and stop judging something you clearly don't know enough about..
I remember when a car that had 105 bhp was classed as a hot hatch and probably still is... Theres some people on here who could probably name a car with lower bhp than that and call it a hot hatch..Alfasud Sprints for e.g.
Im not saying this because I want my car to be classed as a hot hatch, im just stating facts.
I could start slaggin off your Turbo Charged mean machine you ride around on but im better than that..
Please just stop with the presumptions that you know what people are thinking, because I for one did not, or do not think that about the Abarth.

jamie86 said:
Totally agree on Torque but power is useful after all if you were only interested in torque you'd have a diesel right :D :eek: ;) :p

Good point Jamie.....BUT dont forget in the Abarth the rev range is a lot wider than a diesel to help exploit what torque there is.

I'm not tryin to put the abarth down as i love them just wish my insurance would.lol

I'm just showing both sides of the argument......

KoArAng- I know exactly what you mean but you should know what Paul's like by now ;)

jamie86 said:
I'm not tryin to put the abarth down as i love them just wish my insurance would.lol

I'm just showing both sides of the argument......

KoArAng- I know exactly what you mean but you should know what Paul's like by now ;)

The insurance groups are quite low on the Stilo compared to similar models from other manufacturers....but I know what you mean, anything above group 1 is getting pricey nowadays!! Theres certainly a difference between my Pandas group 1 premium and my Abarths group 14!

I would put up a decent argument and probably will later but can't be bothered.

Hot hatches in this competition on top gear were all around 220BHP, i.e. coupé power, a Stilo Abarth vs. coupé wouldn't stand a chance. THey are the same type of cars. Maybe I was harsh saying it's not a hot hatch, it's just not as hot as the cars in question is what I meant.

Don't start all that again if you want to say "I think what Paul said is boll*cks" then fine but I don't think you should tell people they shouldn't have an opinion on the matter just because they don't own one.

Why does it never get mentioned on Top Gear and the like then? (Steve)

Why, I'll tell you why, because they're a shower of c*nts! Top Gear and the British motoring press in general have been anti-Italian for years. Amazingly they praised the Panda, but before that what was the last Italian car you heard them rave about? This even extends to the constant repetition of rust jokes, even when talking about newer Italian cars. I like Clarkson, but sometimes I just want to kick him in the head until he stops breathing.

Hmm true - they always mention fords and vauxhalls for comparing cars but never say that Fiats represent amazing value for money in comparison even if they're not quite so reliable!

Personally, I would classify mine as a 'hot' hatch - it is just not the hottest out when compared to the 225 beasts....

I think there are other, smaller engined cars that would be put in the 'warm' hatch category.

pghstochaj said:
I would put up a decent argument and probably will later but can't be bothered.

Hot hatches in this competition on top gear were all around 220BHP, i.e. coupé power, a Stilo Abarth vs. coupé wouldn't stand a chance. THey are the same type of cars. Maybe I was harsh saying it's not a hot hatch, it's just not as hot as the cars in question is what I meant.
And not anywhere near as expensive ...ffs why don't people who are clearly intelligent take that into account ?
Or is that just a common sense thing that intellectual people don't have ?

Last edited:
Back