General Timing belt gone twice now !

Currently reading:
General Timing belt gone twice now !

I have a 2002 Doblo JTD ELX and as the title says my timing belt has gone twice in the space of 14 months with less than 5000 mile of driving. The last time i had the engine repaired with new valves, water pump, skimmed head etc. This time it is a replacement engine with low miles and warranty.
It appears that the alternator belt came off and wrapped around the bottom pulley, and then the timing belt.

The question is , would i have a legitimate claim against the belt warranties ?

There is never a garante with cam belts years ago u hardly see them brake I have seen first had a new belt fitted run for a few miles then snap it's just part of life if u feel u could or have good grounds to put a claim in It won't hurt to try what r u gonna lose

I have a 2002 Doblo JTD ELX and as the title says my timing belt has gone twice in the space of 14 months with less than 5000 mile of driving. The last time i had the engine repaired with new valves, water pump, skimmed head etc. This time it is a replacement engine with low miles and warranty.
It appears that the alternator belt came off and wrapped around the bottom pulley, and then the timing belt.

The question is , would i have a legitimate claim against the belt warranties ?

So the fault was the auxillary belt, not the timing belt, was this also replaced, was the repair done by a fiat dealer ?

There is never a garante with cam belts years ago u hardly see them brake I have seen first had a new belt fitted run for a few miles then snap it's just part of life if u feel u could or have good grounds to put a claim in It won't hurt to try what r u gonna lose

At a dealer there is

So the fault was the auxillary belt, not the timing belt, was this also replaced, was the repair done by a fiat dealer ?

Auxiliary belt was changed at the same time as the cam belt, the work was done by an independent garage. I went to pick up the parts for the work to be done and remember the guy who sold them making a song and dance about the quality of the belts( Continental ?) and their warranty against defects etc.

Auxiliary belt was changed at the same time as the cam belt, the work was done by an independent garage. I went to pick up the parts for the work to be done and remember the guy who sold them making a song and dance about the quality of the belts( Continental ?) and their warranty against defects etc.

U mention warranty on the belts I think u answered ur own original question and yes if it had of been dealer u may of had an Easyertime claiming etc

How many times is it mentioned in the doblo section about the importance of the timing belt on these engines!

The 1.9JTD engine is softly tuned, capable of going to the moon and back but only if you regularly change the timing belt & water pump.

Use original equipment (my kit of belt,pulley & tensioner all genuine Fiat cost me £60 through ebay from a dealership £60...that's less than a aftermarket cheap kit!) and likewise water pump £30.

Always get a dealership to fit the water pump/timing belt, these guys change them on a daily basis and know the engines better than anyone else. As mentioned it's not that much more expensive, yes save money on exhausts etc by getting them done elsewhere but some things are best done at a dealership.

I fail to see how the alternator belt pulled off the timing belt? Did the 'replacement' engine have new pump/belt ?

Hi,
I completely agree,

it's too common, unfortunately, to see a failed / shredded Alternator / serpentine belt fall apart and the debris get tangled into the lower pulley area - making the cam-belt either snap / or effectively skip enough teeth for a mechanical disaster,
Charlie

How many times is it mentioned in the doblo section about the importance of the timing belt on these engines!

The 1.9JTD engine is softly tuned, capable of going to the moon and back but only if you regularly change the timing belt & water pump.

Use original equipment (my kit of belt,pulley & tensioner all genuine Fiat cost me £60 through ebay from a dealership £60...that's less than a aftermarket cheap kit!) and likewise water pump £30.

Always get a dealership to fit the water pump/timing belt, these guys change them on a daily basis and know the engines better than anyone else. As mentioned it's not that much more expensive, yes save money on exhausts etc by getting them done elsewhere but some things are best done at a dealership.

I fail to see how the alternator belt pulled off the timing belt? Did the 'replacement' engine have new pump/belt ?

It was the original engine both times, the garage who have my dobby have now replaced the engine, but the alternator has now gone and the clutch thrust bearing has collapsed. This is al while it is still in the garage ! Would a change from a 100bhp jtd to a 105jtd cause these issues ?

Hi,
I completely agree,

it's too common, unfortunately, to see a failed / shredded Alternator / serpentine belt fall apart and the debris get tangled into the lower pulley area - making the cam-belt either snap / or effectively skip enough teeth for a mechanical disaster,
Charlie

This is exactly what happened :cry:

[/B]

It was the original engine both times, the garage who have my dobby have now replaced the engine, but the alternator has now gone and the clutch thrust bearing has collapsed. This is al while it is still in the garage ! Would a change from a 100bhp jtd to a 105jtd cause these issues ?

NOPE !,

were they on the Replacement engine - condition unknown?,
or transferred from your original ?,

just sounds like Wear + Tear / sods law to me, :(

the alternator lasted 150K + on our 105 JTD Marea,

the clutch was changed at @100K,
there COULD be a problem here form your engine swap- if it was misaligned - or roughly treated while apart,

Charlie

NOPE !,

were they on the Replacement engine - condition unknown?,
or transferred from your original ?,

just sounds like Wear + Tear / sods law to me, :(

the alternator lasted 150K + on our 105 JTD Marea,

the clutch was changed at @100K,
there COULD be a problem here form your engine swap- if it was misaligned - or roughly treated while apart,

Charlie

Both the alternator and the clutch were transfered from my original engine Charlie, the guys at the garage reckon the alternator bearings were seizing so that got replaced. But when the problem with the clutch arose, they told me that they inspected it prior to installation, and it should have been good for another 10k miles or so.

Like you say it's probably sods law, but i need a break. It has been in the garage for ten days now and twice i have been told to come and collect it. As soon as i get to the garage a new issue arises, my patience is all but gone now.

I don't know MUCH about your van - mileage / etc,
but If I was paying good money the have an engine change - I would'nt risk doing half the work again on " might be alright" well worn parts..,

I'm sure all will be well now, any of this work guaranteed..??,
Charlie

I don't know MUCH about your van - mileage / etc,
but If I was paying good money the have an engine change - I would'nt risk doing half the work again on " might be alright" well worn parts..,

I'm sure all will be well now, any of this work guaranteed..??,
Charlie

I know Charlie, but it couldn't have happened at a worse time. I had just returned from holiday and put a deposit on a new suite so my funds were low.

To be fair the dobby is in good nick, i got all the rear windows tinted, brakes have all just been done 02 plate in silver with 85,000 miles. There is a warranty with the new engine.

Should get "poco perro" back today !

Last edited:
[/B]

when the alternator belt came off my dobbie (the pre-tensioner was the problem) I had to replace the alternator as well as the belt and pre-tensioner. My clutch thrust bearing is loose but hasn't got any worse in about 18 months. Dreading the repair bill when it does eventually need replaced.

Back