General thinking of swithing to a panda, need advise

Currently reading:
General thinking of swithing to a panda, need advise

Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
336
Location
Solihull, Birmingham
well, to cut a long story short... i had a Panda for my first car a year ago, since then i traded it in for a brand new Daihatsu Sirion (big mistake), sold that and now have a 98 Volvo S40, and you know what... I enjoyed the Panda more than any of them.. am i crazy?

Anyway the main reason why i'm thinking of getting a Panda now is that i'm fed up having to put £10 of petrol in every 2-3 days... also the insurance cost is a factor.

Where is the best place to find a decent condition 'classic' Panda? I'm not after the 4x4 as i want the best fuel economy i can get. I'm torn between the peugeot 106 and the panda.. though obviously leaning toward the panda, any thoughts?

If i was to get a panda now, is it easy to get repaired if anything goes srong with it? Does fiat still provide parts? Thanks for any advice you can give me, haven't been of this forum for a while :)
 

Sprox

1 Key operation!
Joined
Aug 21, 2005
Messages
1,356
Location
Cornwall!!!!!
I had a peugot 106 diesel - I sold my panda 1000s - I should never have done it! I was really really really realyy really bored in the peugot.
I've got a DAihatsu Copen - but it's not as much fun as the Panda 1000s or the 4x4.
Get yourself a Lovely Panda! They are so cheap!:)
All the parts are still avalilable - the only stopped making Pandas 3 years ago now. They sold Loads and loads of them throughout Europe!
 

pandafan

Don't polish it, DRIVE IT
Joined
May 2, 2004
Messages
1,713
Location
Haworth.
Welcome back ... I remember you well !

Most Classic Panda parts are still readily available (they only stopped producing them in Europe fairly recently) and our two 4x4's are classed as group I insurance.

If we can't fix them ourselves we take them to 'Betacar' at Manyroadswell...The man is a Gandalf personified :D
 
OP
OP
pantalaimon
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
336
Location
Solihull, Birmingham
Re: thinking of switching to a panda, need advice

i just don't know where to find a decent condition panda though.. i had a look on ebay and they aren't too good, autotrader hardly has any there anymore...
 

Alan.D

Ban the Mongol rally
Joined
Mar 27, 2004
Messages
13,622
Location
West Cumbria
Hi.......go for it find the best one you can and if you have any problems most on here will advise best they can.
 

Sprox

1 Key operation!
Joined
Aug 21, 2005
Messages
1,356
Location
Cornwall!!!!!
Re: thinking of switching to a panda, need advice

One will come up on Ebay - evry few days?
 
Joined
Mar 31, 2005
Messages
7,272
Location
Newcastle upon Tyne.
pantalaimon said:
Where is the best place to find a decent condition 'classic' Panda? I'm not after the 4x4 as i want the best fuel economy i can get. I'm torn between the peugeot 106 and the panda.. though obviously leaning toward the panda, any thoughts?

If i was to get a panda now, is it easy to get repaired if anything goes srong with it? Does fiat still provide parts? Thanks for any advice you can give me, haven't been of this forum for a while :)

to buy a classic panda try looking at ebay, in your local free ad papers and autotrader. Pandas are VERY easy and cheap to repair, and if you need any assistance we (the classic panda section of FF) are on hand to help. Fiat still make all the panda parts, so you will have no worries there.
 

FuzzyPanda

It's a bit noisy
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
2,758
Location
East Yorkshire
Check the ads in your local paper, have a look on AutoTrader and eBay and Fish4Cars. If this doesn't work, keep your eye out in cheap used car forecourts. Also, there's a pink K reg Panda in what looks to be great condition near me (it's just outside Hanley, Stoke on Trent) for £315. It is bright pink, however. ;)
 

FuzzyPanda

It's a bit noisy
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
2,758
Location
East Yorkshire
Where are you located? There's quite a few Pandas knocking around here, I'll keep an eye out if you're within an acceptable distance. :)
 

Tony M

eh?
Joined
Aug 20, 2005
Messages
3,093
FuzzyPanda said:
there's a pink K reg Panda in what looks to be great condition near me (it's just outside Hanley, Stoke on Trent) for £315. It is bright pink, however. ;)
Has it got those Pink decals that Petel was after on it?
 

FuzzyPanda

It's a bit noisy
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
2,758
Location
East Yorkshire
Tony M said:
Has it got those Pink decals that Petel was after on it?

It's quite possible. He's PMed me about it and I'm visiting it tomorrow when I go shopping to get the registration number and I'm gonna have a poke around to satisfy my own curiousity about the thing. :)
 

wotnowarninglight

New member
Joined
Dec 25, 2005
Messages
1,177
Location
Here, there & everywhere!
There is something strangely satisfying about the simplicity of a Panda... I had a the Seat version (89'G Marbella 850 Special) from new, 24.5K in 17 months and the only thing done under warranty? Screen Washer Plunger split (no electric screen wash on front screen, no rear wash/wipe either :eek: ). Went every where in it... Lands End & John o' Groats for pennies :D Would also look at the Marbella, sometimes come up very cheap... no FIRE engine though, only the old 903cc ohv rattler :slayer:
 

pandafan

Don't polish it, DRIVE IT
Joined
May 2, 2004
Messages
1,713
Location
Haworth.
wotnowarninglight said:
There is something strangely satisfying about the simplicity of a Panda... I had a the Seat version (89'G Marbella 850 Special) from new, 24.5K in 17 months and the only thing done under warranty? Screen Washer Plunger split (no electric screen wash on front screen, no rear wash/wipe either :eek: ). Went every where in it... Lands End & John o' Groats for pennies :D Would also look at the Marbella, sometimes come up very cheap... no FIRE engine though, only the old 903cc ohv rattler :slayer:


But it's incredibly easy to fit the Fire setup to the Marbella; all you need extra is a top engine mount bolted to the o/s wheel arch...and, as a bonus, the car is set up to run a slow cast-iron engine. So, when you fit the Fire (with loads of aluminiun), it's a real pocket-rocket :slayer:
 
Top