Technical Thermostat

Currently reading:
Technical Thermostat

Pepandaros

I recently bought my second Panda and it's a 1.2 from 2011.
The radiator is leaking so I have a replacement on order, also going to replace the metal tube and the thermostat whilst I'm at it.
The thermostat has arrived today and unlike my 1.1 this one has the the o-ring groove in the casting. It doesn't seem right to me as the rubber seal sticks out quite a bit I wonder if it would compress enough to make the both surfaces mate. As it's sort of moulding square o-ring I might struggle to find a thinner O-ring.

Some thoughts if I should use this or just return it and order a different brand?

Attachments

• IMG_20231126_222526.jpg
    IMG_20231126_222526.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 53
I just bought (what looks the same) thermostat for a Ford Ka 2 (fiat 500) and it the gasket is sticking out similar like yours. To me it looks fine, if the head is not heavenly pitted I would not use any sealent. I ordered a FEBI one. The only thing that I missed is that the jubilee clip needs to be replaced when doing this for the first time. make sure you can retighten the clip before starting on this work.

Correct the way they seal should be different

Fiat changed the design on the later 1.2
My understanding is that the change to the type with the integral temperature sensor came with the introduction of the Euro 5 engine, so mid-late 2010 for the 169 Panda.

My Sept 2010 60HP Euro 4 1.2 Panda has the older type; my March 2010 69HP Euro 5 1.2 500 has the newer type.

Both were assembled dry in the factory; when replacing, I'd assemble the later type using just the supplied sealing ring, but would use just a smear of jointing compound on the fibre gasket usually supplied with the earlier one.

Most regulars will already know this, but if replacing the later type, try to find one with a metal spigot if you can; the plastic spigots commonly break in service.

Many thanks for your replies guys.
Yes I had a look into this matter previously when my 1.1 didn't get up to temperature anymore and have noticed back then there are different types thermostats. The 1.1 still seals perfectly with the fibre gasket on a proper cleaned surface.
In this case with the other type thermostat on the 1.2 (it's the 69hp version) I would have liked to see both sealing faces to get together with the rubber seal compressed inside like the factory fitted one but I feel confident now to use the received part I've got in since others have mentioned that it does seal as it is.
So thanks for pointing out!

So far the new (to me) car had a wet sand and it's first stage polish as it was very marred and scratched, already looking so much better and I will finish off the polishing later. Also have stripped out the interior to give everything a proper clean. I took the front seats apart to wash the upholstery which is now blue and like new again.
Quiet a bit of work but the transformation is amazing and like my 1.1 I have tinted the back windows as well.

Yes, I totally agree with you Jeroen.
My main worry was rapid disintergrating of the rubber seal when it's partly exposed and not fully supported like with the factory fitted casting.
I do appriciate that engineering wise the stress temperature and pressure are relative low.

I want to be able to start and move the car and I'm still waiting for the radiator and the metal tube to arrive from Europe otherwise I would have tried by now to see how it does fit.

I have to admit I'm a bit of a hoarder when it comes to shiny bits, in the garage are numerous tesco bags and spider invested boxes with all sorts of fasteners.
There's also a dedicated shoe box for jubilee clips after a workshop clearout at work recently... how convenient!😬

Back